Puritans and Calvinism

Status
Not open for further replies.

AV1611

Puritan Board Senior
PREFACE

The first five chapters of this book originally appeared as nine separate articles in the monthly magazine, The Gospel Magazine, edited by Herbert M. Carson. Having, as I do, a sense of historical continuity I regard it as a great honour to write for a journal whose history reaches back to 1766.

Since there seems to be a developing interest within British and North American Evangelicalism in the Reformation, in Calvin and Calvinism, the Westminster Confession of Faith and other statements of the Reformed Faith, as well as in true evangelical unity, I thought it worthwhile to present my work to a larger public since it covers all these topics.

Chapters I to IV are meant for the ordinary lay Christian or busy minister. They seek to introduce him to the history and essence of English Puritanism. Chapters V and VI are meant for the more serious student of the history of Calvinist theology but I hope they will not prove without interest to those for whom Chapters I to IV are designed.

I dedicate this book to two men, both of whom are twice my age. They have never met but they share a common enthusiasm for all that is best in Puritan divinity. First, by reason of his greater age, is Norman F. Douty of Pennsylvania, preacher, teacher and theologian. This year he celebrates the fiftieth anniversary of his ordination to the Christian ministry in the Baptist denomination. He has given me the privilege of seeing through the press for him his major study entitled The Believer’s Union with Christ to be published by Reiner Publications in April 1973. Second, Lewis F. Lupton, artist, historian and theologian. Two of his paintings hang in my house and his portraits of my wife and me are in my study. He is engaged in publishing a truly magnum opus, a History of the Geneva Bible in at least seven volumes, four of which have appeared already. Enriched by beautiful illustrations, the books are published by Mr. Lupton’s own publishing house, The Olive Tree of Chiswick, London.

Peter Toon,

1 October 1972, Edge Hill College,

Ormskirk, Lancs., U.K​

http://www.anglicanbooksrevitalized.us/Peter_Toons_Books_Online/History/puritanscalvinism.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back