Psalm Sing - Charlotte, NC area (09/15/2006 A.D.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
SWEET!

I'll be there, with my family. Can I bring a few members from my church?

They will be blessed to participate and sing the Psalms for the first time!

I will be there in spirit, brother. May God bless your gathering to sing his praises! :pray2::sing:

Psalm 133
1 Behold, how good a thing it is,
and how becoming well,
Together such as brethren are
in unity to dwell!

2 Like precious ointment on the head,
that down the beard did flow,
Ev'n Aaron's beard, and to the skirts,*
did of his garments go.

3 As Hermon's dew, the dew that doth
on Zion' hills descend:
For there the blessing God commands,
life that shall never end.

Originally posted by mangum
SWEET!

I'll be there, with my family. Can I bring a few members from my church?

They will be blessed to participate and sing the Psalms for the first time!

Chris,

Awesome! That will be a blessing. I am already looking forward to meeting you and yours. These other members of your church are certainly invited as well. Spread the word, brother!

May you have a blessed Lord's Day.

Cheers ~~ Jay

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
I will be there in spirit, brother. May God bless your gathering to sing his praises! :pray2::sing:

Psalm 133
1 Behold, how good a thing it is,
and how becoming well,
Together such as brethren are
in unity to dwell!

2 Like precious ointment on the head,
that down the beard did flow,
Ev'n Aaron's beard, and to the skirts,*
did of his garments go.

3 As Hermon's dew, the dew that doth
on Zion' hills descend:
For there the blessing God commands,
life that shall never end.

Much appreciated, Andrew. Very appropriate, too, as we generally close our Psalm sings with that selection.

For those who can make it, and especially for those who might be hearing it for the first time, I am attaching a MIDI file of the tune Eastgate.

Eastgate is a CMR tune as follows. In each 4 line stanza:
Lines 1-3 all sing in unison
Line 4 soprano and alto voices only
Line 5 all repeat line 4 in unison

Andrew and Chris,

Thank you for your early assistance in keeping this thread visible, just by replying to it! :banana:

We had communion and a fellowship meal today. We closed the fellowship meal by singing Psalm 133 as is customary in our congregation. The singing was especially sweet.

What is involved in a Psalm sing? Is there any expectation as far as knowledge of tunes or ability?

Originally posted by SRoper
What is involved in a Psalm sing? Is there any expectation as far as knowledge of tunes or ability?

Psalm sings are usually intended to allow for the gathering of the brethren to practice singing psalms in a context outside of the Lord's Day church services. They provide a setting for both experienced and inexperienced psalm singers to praise God, learn new tunes and become better acquainted with the Psalter. No experience or ability is required to attend. Just a desire to "make a joyful noise." One's musical abilities are likely to improve with practice but it is not requisite to have great skill in order to sing the Psalms. A Psalter can or will be provided and there is often a precentor to guide the singing. Jay can tell you more. Hope this helps.

Scott,

I echo Andrew's comments.

As far as the music, the tunes you know (e.g. the Old 100th) you join in right away. The tunes that are new will be familiar by the 2nd stanza. Oh, and the precentor always hums most of the tunes all the way through prior to the singing.

The singing nets out to about 50 minutes or so. Somewhere in the middle Pastor Worrell will probably give a brief address on some aspect of Psalm-singing.

During the hour that follows we take the opportunity to celebrate our fellowship in the customary refreshments and visiting.

I see that you are in Winston-Salem. Consider this a personal invitation to come and join us.

Jay Sulzmann

Thanks. I was thinking of coming if I can round up some friends to come with me.

I just realized that you guys are on the south side of Charlotte. I won't be able to get down there in time after work.

I just realized that you guys are on the south side of Charlotte. I won't be able to get down there in time after work.

Sorry you can't make it, Scott. I'll look forward to meeting you some other time. We have these roughly twice a year.

Cheers ~~ Jay

Jay,

As it stands today, I may be bringing one other person, an Elder in my church, 1 other family (including 2 kids) along with my family (wife and 4 kids).

It would be great if my family and I could meet you before the singing starts. :sing:

Originally posted by mangum
Jay,

As it stands today, I may be bringing one other person, an Elder in my church, 1 other family (including 2 kids) along with my family (wife and 4 kids).
:welcome: Wonderful! Hope they can make it with you, so much the better.
It would be great if my family and I could meet you before the singing starts. :sing:
:welcome: I'd definitely go for that. Mrs. Sulzmann and I hope to be there by 6:30 to help set things up. After we get things hauled in there, there should be ample time for a brief visit.

It was a blessing to sing God's praises with God's people in a special season of singing and fellowship.

Note to Moderators. I will let this thread die and be buried in the annals after 09/15/2006. (Unless there are post mortems). :tombstone:

[Edited on 9-16-2006 by jaybird0827]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back