Protestant Jesuitism

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
Does anybody have a copy of Protestant Jesuitism (1836) by Calvin Colton? It's on my wish list but it's expensive and I would be glad for feedback.

What is this you are talking about? Protestant Jesuitism!? Are they RC or some sect of Calvinistic RCs? Are they Predestined to work for their justification? Tell me. Please! I have to know.

The book was written by a Presbyterian-turned-Episcopalian who nevertheless objected to a spirit which pervaded the American Protestant church in general in his day (1836) that he identified as Jesuitical this way:

`Wherever the priesthood of any religion, Christian or pagan, have taken advantage of their spiritual influence to serve themselves instead of the public--to gratify ambition, and to obtain power for unworthy ends--there has been developed the proper spirit of Jesuitism. It is not a spirit peculiar to those men who have use the priesthood of Christianity for bad ends. It has prevailed more, committed more shocking enormities, and on a scale infinitely more vast, under the forms of pagan religions than of Christianity.' (p. 24) -- `Hence, too, we see, that the Jesuitism of the Romish Church is only an accidental form, in which this spirit or genius has been developed. It was a refinement--the highest consummation of the system. There is no evidence that such results ever entered the mind of Ignatius Loyola. On the contrary, there appears to have been a sincerity, not to say uncorruptness, in his purposes, so far as such a character can belong to fanaticism.' (p. 25) -- Much of the book reacts to the 9th annual meeting of the American Temperance Society at Saratoga in 1836, on alcohol as a poison. `That a quart of gin, taken at a draught, should show itself in the secretions and circulating fluids, and be injurious, is surely no more to be disputed, that that a man--who ate the supper of four others, and a nine pound ham at the end of it; or another, who disposed of eight rabbits at a dinner; or the one who devoured a whole sheep at a meal; or the fourth, who is said to have eaten a hog at one sitting, as narrated by Dr. Mussey in his popular lectures--should be the worse for it.' (p. 253f.).

So the book covers several issues, one of which is the growing 19th century temperance movement - which paved the way for Dr. Welch to substitute grape juice for wine in the Lord's Supper.

More on the author here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back