Pictures of Self?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coram Deo

Puritan Board Junior
Wouldn't pictures of ourselves and of our families be vanity? Don't they create Unlawful pride and haughtiness within us? Aren't they stoking our Pride? Could it not be Vain?

I am just curious, Why or Why Not?

Michael

I've often thought about removing my picture from my avatar because of my extreme good looks. :smug: :eek: :lol:

I too have often thought that your looks are "extreme." :D

But you'll also note that there is not a picture of me in my avatar. I have too much love for the brethren to expose them to such a sight on an on-going basis. :lol:

Wouldn't pictures of ourselves and of our families be vanity? Don't they create Unlawful pride and haughtiness within us? Aren't they stoking our Pride? Could it not be Vain?

I dont see them as creating unlawful pride but rather an image of my family brings great thankfulness to my heart. I have come to the conclusion that I have the most beautiful daughter in the world, but this statement is not one of pride because 1.) its a statement of fact just check out my avatar. and 2.) I do not see her beauty as coming from me nor her beautiful mother but from God.

I've often thought about removing my picture from my avatar because of my extreme good looks.

I will not let my wife read any of your posts out of fear that your picture will cause her to lust.

It's nice to see pictures of other PB members, it makes it a little more personal than just seeing typed words. :2cents:

But I am not just referring to pictures on the PB, but in life and in our lives....

An Example would be, Some Anabaptist Groups like the Amish consider All pictures of ourselves as Prideful and Haughty...

It's nice to see pictures of other PB members, it makes it a little more personal than just seeing typed words. :2cents:

:agree:

I like to be able to put a face with a name.

Also, I arranged to meet a PB member who was in town, at the hotel where he was staying. When he showed up in the hotel I recognized him instantly.

I guess the question to ask would be: Where does scripture say that it's sinful to have any pictures of one self or family members,etc. Just on the surface for the Anabaptist it seems that their binding the conscience where scripture is silent.

The alternative could happen and people could become prideful and haughty for not having any pictures of themselves. Self-Righousness

But I am not just referring to pictures on the PB, but in life and in our lives....

An Example would be, Some Anabaptist Groups like the Amish consider All pictures of ourselves as Prideful and Haughty...

If some have some sinful pride the problem is not having the pictures but getting one's heart right. Just like a lot of things.:2cents:

I understand getting one's heart right... But is there anything inherently prideful about having photos of ourselves or hanging photos of ourselves and family in or around the house....

Sometimes it just seems to me to be an inherent pridefulness about images. More of taking pride in the creation...

If some have some sinful pride the problem is not having the pictures but getting one's heart right. Just like a lot of things.:2cents:

We are called to meekness, humility, simplicity, unadorning, modest, and unprideful....

One could make the inference from scripture that photos could fall under those areas... ;)

I guess the question to ask would be: Where does scripture say that it's sinful to have any pictures of one self or family members,etc. Just on the surface for the Anabaptist it seems that their binding the conscience where scripture is silent.

Michael

Splitting hairs, eh. The Lord blessed me with my family. As long as I don't place my family over the Lord then what is the harm?

I agree with the other brother that said this thread is for the birds.

I understand getting one's heart right... But is there anything inherently prideful about having photos of ourselves or hanging photos of ourselves and family in or around the house....

Sometimes it just seems to me to be an inherent pridefulness about images. More of taking pride in the creation...
No.

Isn't that alittle uncalled for... I asked a serious question with regards to images which is an issue for many in Christ Church....

I have not decided one way or the other and I was just considering and was really curious.....

[

Splitting hairs, eh.

I agree with the other brother that said this thread is for the birds.

I believe it is a matter of conscience, brother - if you feel that there is sin in it, then in your own mind be convinced - I think that you must bear with us weaker brothers in that we have difficulty understanding this level of piety. :)

that being said...panta dokimazete!

On the theme of the original topic and question...

Although I don't want to negate the fact that pictures of friends and family could be prideful, I think anyone would be hard pressed Biblically to present any kind of rule on the matter.

I hope people would use pictures as a small reminder of the blessings the Lord has graciously bestowed upon us in this life by allowing us to have families and friends. Perhaps use them as a tool to be reminded to pray for our loved ones and thank the Lord for them. Praise the Lord for His common grace of allowing us to have prints of our loved ones to remember their faces long after they are gone to be the Lord, perhaps causing us to be encouraged by their godliness in this world. And praise the Lord for allowing us to have prints of our loved ones still in this world, reminding us of His blessings and reminding us to intercede on their behalf.

Grace and Peace in Christ

This may not be a topic that most of you are use to but I have mennonite friends and the topic has come up... So it is not just some off the wall issue... Many Many Baptistic Groups have problems with the "So-called" Pridefulness of Photos.. So it is in Christ's Church and should be thought through without the emotions and unnecessary comments....

But Some will say that the Second Commandment forbids making ANY image in the heavens, on the Earth or beneath the Earth which would include us Humans.....

I understand that the Second Commandment is in the terms of Worship, but many Baptistic groups would say that Photos of Anything including Humans becomes by nature idolatrous and would violate the second commandment and Prideful which would break the seventh commandment which modesty falls under......

We are called to meekness, humility, simplicity, unadorning, modest, and unprideful....

One could make the inference from scripture that photos could fall under those areas... ;)
No offense, I'm sure, is intended toward your topic, Michael.

I suppose that if pictures of a person stirs up ungodly pride and haughtiness in themselves, they should abstain. But to make a blanket condemnation of pictures as being something inherently evil is going beyond Scripture.

The inference to which you aluded could be made, but so could many other inferences to the point of absurdity. So the question is not could, but should such an inference be authoritatively made in the binding of Christians?

I'd say no, since it's not really something proven from Scripture. :2cents:

I meant no offence at all. I just don't believe that my displaying a family photo is prideful. Is photography a gift from God or an instrument of Satan that leads us to break the Second Commandment? I don't know.

I remember reading in Victor Hugo's Les Miserables about Cosette's discovery of her own beauty and the devastating effect that followed. Jean Val Jean knew that someday she would discover it, but he had made sure to not keep any mirrors in the house. I think Hugo is making some pretty powerful statements with this(as well as with The Hunchback of Notre Dame). Also I remember reading of a missionary to India, a female, who had banished all mirrors from her house in order to avoid vanity. So I don't know if this is just a strange practice restricted to those nutty Amish.

I think that we need to follow our consciences on this. I am very proud. And because of that I know that I am susceptible when looking in the mirror or looking at a picture of myself. I know in the past I have developed an attitude of 'self sufficiency' and have taken comfort in my looks, and I know at other times I have felt self conscious of my looks, so I basically came to the conclusion that either way, looking in the mirror or having photos of myself is not good.(now try communicating that to family members who want pictures :lol:)

I have to say that if you are proud, like me, maybe you should not display photographs of yourself of your family, since you may find yourself deriving your worth from your family or your own appearance, instead of deriving it from being God's elect.

It's an interesting topic, certainly out of the ordinary. :)

Also, let us not forget that simply removing photos and mirrors does not eliminate a heart of pride. Sin is not mortified so easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back