Perseverance and assurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

sotzo

Puritan Board Sophomore
I was brought up in Roman Catholicism and can never remember family members being distraught over their lacking assurance. Similarly,the RC apologists talk about God's love and salvation as if they are certain things. However, RC theology is firm on its view that God's grace can be resisted and salvation lost.

Now as a Reformed believer, I have times where doubt comes knocking at the door..."do I REALLY believe God will forgive me and I will persevere?...do I REALLY believe God will redeem me despite such faithlessness as I've exhibited even to this day?"...these are thoughts I often have. Thanks be to God for the person and work of Christ that throws off such doubt! His Son is a safe harbor in whom to rest!

My question is...how do those who hold to human ability to resist God's grace or to lose salvation ever rest without going insane? We are at death's door every moment and I don't understand how those who really believe they can lose their salvation aren't frantic all the time. I'm not thinking of social "Christians" or practical atheists....I'm thinking of people who take their RC theology (or other theology) seriously and genuniely believe they cannot know their true status with God until they die. Seems to me this is somewhat like having severe head pain, getting an MRI and then never contacting the doctor back to see what the results are....never knowing if the pain is from a cancerous tumor or just a benign headache.

Only in the case of our relationship with God, multiply the seriousness of the MRI analogy times infinity...just don't see how people who believe they can really never know aren't in depression or going insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back