Paedocommunion by Rayburn

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, the early church practiced paedocommunion and, so far as the evidence goes, practiced it from the earliest times. Reformed and other paedobaptists have always argued that the evidence for paedobaptism in the early church is a strong argument that paedobaptism was the teaching of the apostles and the practice of the apostolic church. But the early church also practiced paedocommunion. I confess that I didn’t know that – that the early church practiced paedocommunion – until years into my ministry. When I discovered that this was true, it set me to thinking new thoughts. Surely the evidence that the church’s children received the Lord’s Supper in early Christianity serves as a powerful argument that paedocommunion was the teaching of the apostles and the practice of the apostolic church. Indeed, paedocommunion was the general practice of the church until the 12th century, when superstitious ideas about the sacrament – the wine actually becoming the blood of Christ and so on – began to work against the full participation of anybody but priests in the sacrament. The children lost the Supper when everyone else lost it; they just didn’t get it back at the Reformation. Now, in the interests of fairness, I should tell you that some have tried to argue that the evidence for paedocommunion as a widespread practice in early Christianity is inconclusive, but it is important to point out that almost all opponents of the practice both during the Reformation era and in our own day have admitted that it was the practice of the early church. That, obviously, is something to consider.
Bunk. The earliest writings about "paedocommunion" are, in fact, condemnatory of the practice. Please read The True History of Paedo-Communion By Matthew Winzer in CPJ 3. You can get it here: The Confessional Presbyterian » Welcome

The problem with paedo-communion is that it is based on conjecture; there simply is not enough evidence to substantiate the claim that covenant children took the passover. However, we do clearly know that they received circumcision.

Has anyone read, 'The Case for Covenant Communion,' by Gregg Strawbridge?
I quite liked his book on infant baptism and was wondering if I should buy this book to give me a better understanding of all the arguments for paedocommunion. (By the way I agree with Daniel, it is unclear as to whether or not children partook of the Passover but I think they probably didn’t.)

Those who advocate Paedocommunion are not consistent. I do not know of any who would administer the Lord's Supper to an infant after baptism. They will use the argument that the children under the O.T participated in the Passover, and I would not argue against that, but the children were instructed and were aware of why they were observing it. We find the warning in I Corinthians 11 that one should examine themselves before coming to the table. I do not know many infants that would be able to do that. Richard Bacon wrote a great little booklet entitled What Mean Ye By This Service. He argues that there is a relationship between the Passover and The Lord's Supper and that under the O.T. economy every participant of the Passover had to be able to understand the significance of the celebration. This is the best refutation of Paedocommunion.

Robert Rayburn has been known as advocating Paedocommunion, but does not admit children to the table until they are examined and make a public confession. This is rather strange. I have Schenck's book on Children in the Covenant and it is an excellent book. He did not advocate Paedocommunion, but did deal with the issue of the half-way covenant that was strongley opposed by Jonathan Edwards.

I find the arguments for paedocommunion to be completely unsatisfactory (I deal with them here Christ Reformed Church - Audio Messages -). I was in the paedocommunion camp for about a year as I initially found their arguments to be persuasive. I ended up holding to this faulty view for a time because I was a former Baptist who had come to see infant baptism a couple years before. Without taking the time to go further in my understanding of Reformed doctrine and the sacraments in general, I took a lot for granted and bought the general argument that if we baptize covenant children, it is inconsistent to deny them the Lord's Supper.

From my present vantage point, I find paedocommunion to be a serious error. I believe presumptive regeneration (yes, I understand that good Reformed men have held to PR) put into practice through paedocommunion (which good Reformed men have not done historically speaking) will, in time, have a devastating effect on the churches that are adopting this practice. I believe it is teaching our children to take their salvation for granted; providing a false assurance. I fear this will lead to nominalism of the worst sort.

Allow me to clarify, it is one thing to TREAT our covenant children as 'Christians'; training and nuturing them in the Scriptures and the covenant into which they were born; looking for them to come to a 'full assurance of faith' without their assuming it to be true of them because Dad and the church said so. (Understand that when I say 'assurance', I mean exactly that. I do not believe a 'crisis faith experience' is necessary for every covenant child; some, not all, are indeed regenerate from the womb. What I am speaking of is when the regenerate child of the covenant comes to a place of spiritual maturity where they acquire a biblical assurance that they are in Christ. Others come to a place where they realize they are outside of Christ, repent and believe and thus gain assurance.)

Alternatively...

It is another thing to ASSUME that the children of Christians ARE ACTUALLY regenerate and train them that this is the case. Paedocommunion is doing exactly this! By giving our very young children the Supper, we are telling them, in effect, that they are salvifically in Christ.

Lest we ever forget...

"For no one is a Jew who is merely one outwardly [there is a covenantal standing which is merely external], nor is circumcision outward and physical [something more is needed than outward circumcision or baptism]. But a Jew is one inwardly, and circumcision is a matter of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the letter [external membership in the covenant is no ground of assurance]. His praise is not from man but from God [assurance ought to come from God alone through a heart that is embracing the Christ of the covenant, not from who your parents are, church membership, baptism, etc.]." Romans 2:28&29

Paedocommunion is a classic example of trying to be "consistent" above being Biblical. It should be a warning to us all in that regard.

Robert Rayburn has been known as advocating Paedocommunion, but does not admit children to the table until they are examined and make a public confession. This is rather strange.

That is because of PCA rules at the moment. From the article in the OP:

"We do not practice paedocommunion here at Faith Presbyterian. We get as close to it as we can, the rules of our church being what they are, but a profession of faith is still required in the PCA for participation at the Lord’s Table. So, we take professions of faith much sooner than used to be the norm; and, happily, many, many other PCA churches are doing the same. And that is alright. If it takes some years, as it will, to convince the church that the practice of many centuries is in error, so be it."​

Here are a few more resources:

Articles by Dr. Francis Nigel Lee against paedocommunion:

Summary Against Paedocommunion
Calvin vs. Child Communion (pdf)
Paedocommunion vs. Protestantism (pdf)

Paedocommunion: A Biblical Examination by Brian Schwertly

:offtopic:

Chris;

Just a quick question. When did Schwertly become the spokesman for orthodoxy? Not asking in a wise manner, just curious becasue he has a "treatiste" on everything from a-z. Does he carry any weight in Christian circles?

Does he carry any weight in Christian circles?

He is a force to be reconed with in my opinion. I can't agree with him on everything and his tone can be a little polemical but I still like him.

The issue of paedocommunion is important and I am thinking my way through it slowly. There is a small group within evangelicals in the CofE who are pushing for paedocommunion hence my 'interest'.

He is a force to be reconed with in my opinion. I can't agree with him on everything and his tone can be a little polemical but I still like him.

The issue of paedocommunion is important and I am thinking my way through it slowly. There is a small group within evangelicals in the CofE who are pushing for paedocommunion hence my 'interest'.

What does CofE mean?

He seems to fight many battles. Must be tiring after a while...

Chris;

Just a quick question. When did Schwertly become the spokesman for orthodoxy? Not asking in a wise manner, just curious becasue he has a "treatiste" on everything from a-z. Does he carry any weight in Christian circles?

I think it's best to evaluate arguments on their own merits. Posting a link doesn't make anyone THE spokesman for orthodoxy.

Chris;

I think it's best to evaluate arguments on their own merits. Posting a link doesn't make anyone THE spokesman for orthodoxy.

I just see his name in every debate, thats all I meant Chris. I do not even think Paul faught this many fronts...LOL

A brief google provided polemics on:

Padeocommunion
Sabbath
RPW
Christmas
Charismatic movement
Auburn Ave
State Schooling
Theonomy
Arminianism
Christian Liberty
Law

Amazing how God can give ONE person so much revelation on this many topics.

Chris;

I just see his name in every debate, thats all I meant Chris. I do not even think Paul faught this many fronts...LOL

Padeocommunion
Sabbath
RPW
Christmas
Charismatic movement
Auburn Ave
State Schooling
Theonomy
Arminianism
Christian Liberty
Law

I just don't see what you're on about. Anyway, if you check Dr. Lee's site you'll see that his output dwarfs Schwertley's, probably several times over. We pontificate on the PB on these topics and more all the time. If you have a problem with Schwertley then email him.

Chris;

He gives a lecture to his congregation every week on a topical issue; hence, he seems to have covered everything from a-z. The stuff on family issues is meant to be very good, though I have only listened to some of it.

Padeocommunion
Sabbath
RPW
Christmas
Charismatic movement
Auburn Ave
State Schooling
Theonomy
Arminianism
Christian Liberty
Law

I just don't see what you're on about. Anyway, if you check Dr. Lee's site you'll see that his output dwarfs Schwertley's, probably several times over. We pontificate on the PB on these topics and more all the time. If you have a problem with Schwertley then email him.

Why are you reacting in such a way Chris? I am not 'getting on' about anything. I just never heard of him until I joined this board. People quote Schwertly, provide links to Schwertly, point towards Schwertly.

Daniel answered my inquiery:

He gives a lecture to his congregation every week on a topical issue; hence, he seems to have covered everything from a-z. The stuff on family issues is meant to be very good, though I have only listened to some of it.

That is all I was looking for. As an aside, after pontificating 3500 posts, I would expect a better reaction from you with my honest inquiery.

The problem with paedo-communion is that it is based on conjecture; there simply is not enough evidence to substantiate the claim that covenant children took the passover. However, we do clearly know that they received circumcision.

Daniel,

I actually think there is substantial evidence to claim that young covenant children *did not* participate in the feast. The Third Mill site notes this fairly well. Leviticus commands the male adults to assemble for this feast and there is an obvious reason for this.

I think many people when they're reading the paedocommunionists make their arguments want to transport the OT people into their local communities as if they're showing up for Church every Sunday in their Suburbans. We all need to remember that people actually walked to the Temple.

Women and children were not prohibited from attending the Passover feast but they were very clearly optional. From this very point, the best the paedocommunion advocate could establish from the clear teaching on the Passover is that children might have been able to participate if the father happened to bring his wife and children along but what they cannot argue is that it was of the essence of the Passover to have small children present because most men did not bring their small children.

Further, it is very instructive that Christ Himself appears to have participated in the Passover for the first time when He was 12 years old. Alfred Edersheim sheds some light on this that is very instructive:
The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah
Alfred Edersheim

Book II
FROM THE MANGER IN BETHLEHEM TO THE BAPTISM IN JORDAN

Chapter 10
IN THE HOUSE OF HIS HEAVENLY, AND IN THE HOME OF HIS EARTHLY FATHER
(St. Luke 2:41-52.)​

Once only is the great silence, which lies on the history of Christ's early life, broken. It is to record what took place on His first visit to the Temple. What this meant, even to an ordinary devout Jew, may easily be imagined. Where life and religion were so intertwined, and both in such organic connection with the Temple and the people of Israel, every thoughtful Israelite must have felt as if his real life were not in what was around, but ran up into the grand unity of the people of God, and were compassed by the halo of its sanctity. To him it would be true in the deepest sense, that, so to speak, each Israelite was born in Zion, as, assuredly, all the well-springs of his life were there.1 It was, therefore, not merely the natural eagerness to see the City of their God and of their fathers, glorious Jerusalem; nor yet the lawful enthusiasm, national or religious, which would kindle at the thought of 'our feet' standing within those gates, through which priests, prophets, and kings had passed; but far deeper feelings which would make glad, when it was said: 'Let us go into the house of Jehovah.' They were not ruins to which precious memories clung, nor did the great hope seem to lie afar off, behind the evening-mist. But 'glorious things were spoken of Zion, the City of God' - in the past, and in the near future 'the thrones of David' were to be set within her walls, and amidst her palaces.2

In strict law, personal observance of the ordinances, and hence attendance on the feasts at Jerusalem, devolved on a youth only when he was of age, that is, at thirteen years. Then he became what was called 'a son of the Commandment,' or 'of the Torah.'3 But, as a matter of fact, the legal age was in this respect anticipated by two years, or at least by one.4 It was in accordance with this custom, that,5 on the first Pascha after Jesus had passed His twelfth year, His Parents took Him with them in the 'company' of the Nazarenes to Jerusalem. The text seems to indicate, that it was their wont6 to go up to the Temple; and we mark that, although women were not bound to make such personal appearance,7 Mary gladly availed herself of what seems to have been the direction of Hillel (followed also by other religious women, mentioned in Rabbinic writings), to go up to the solemn services of the Sanctuary.

1. Ps. ixxxvii. 5-7.

2. Ps. cxxii. 1-5.

3. Ab. v. 21.

4. Yoma 82 a.

5. Comp. also Maimonides, Hilkh. Chag. ii. The common statement, that Jesus went to the Temple because He was 'a Son of the Commandment,' is obviously erroneous. All the more remarkable, on the other hand, is St. Luke's accurate knowledge of Jewish customs, and all the more antithetic to the mythical theory the circumstance, that he places this remarkable event in the twelfth year of Jesus' life, and not when He became 'a Son of the Law.'

6. We take as the more correct reading that which puts the participle in the present tense (anabainontwn), and not in the aorist.

7. Jer Kidd. 61 c.
It actually seems very clear to me that the Passover, was sort of a "graduating rite" where the long trek was first made by the boy (and perhaps his Mother as well). Concurrent with the festival, a child was officially examined by the Church to determine if he had been properly catechized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back