Oxford or Cambridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's one minute difference: In the Oxford edition(s) AV -- and their descendants -- there is a typo/misspelling in Jeremiah 34:16:

Cambridge:

But ye turned and polluted my name, and caused every man his servant, and every man his handmaid, whom ye had set at liberty at their pleasure, to return, and brought them into subjection, to be unto you for servants and for handmaids.​

Oxford:

But ye turned and polluted my name, and caused every man his servant, and every man his handmaid, whom he had set at liberty at their pleasure, to return, and brought them into subjection, to be unto you for servants and for handmaids.​

In the 1611 original edition it is yee, as it is in the Hebrew, and "ye" in the Geneva, Wycliffe, Coverdale, Bishop's.

I learned of this reading Dr. Thomas Holland's Crowned With Glory: The Bible from Ancient Text to Authorized Version, p. 100. It looks like all my KJVs have descended from the Oxford text! So I just made a little note in them at that verse.

Here's one minute difference: In the Oxford edition(s) AV -- and their descendants -- there is a typo/misspelling in Jeremiah 34:16:

Cambridge:

But ye turned and polluted my name, and caused every man his servant, and every man his handmaid, whom ye had set at liberty at their pleasure, to return, and brought them into subjection, to be unto you for servants and for handmaids.​

Oxford:

But ye turned and polluted my name, and caused every man his servant, and every man his handmaid, whom he had set at liberty at their pleasure, to return, and brought them into subjection, to be unto you for servants and for handmaids.​

In the 1611 original edition it is yee, as it is in the Hebrew, and "ye" in the Geneva, Wycliffe, Coverdale, Bishop's.

I learned of this reading Dr. Thomas Holland's Crowned With Glory: The Bible from Ancient Text to Authorized Version, p. 100. It looks like all my KJVs have descended from the Oxford text! So I just made a little note in them at that verse.

Thank you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back