Open Theism

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't read too much material with the specific intent of refuting Open Theism, mainly because I realized that a very confirmation of the doctrine of God's Providence will refute it - Open Theists acknowledge that God knows all there is to know at any given moment, but just say that the future doesn't even exist yet, and so their doctrine doesn't contradict omniscience. However, if we can Scripturally prove the doctrine of Providence, and thus that God controls every detail of life and history, and planned it all before the foundation of the world, then it all existed before the foundation of the world when He planned it, and He thus inevitably knows all of it. So before Open Theists can even hope to begin challenging the traditional understanding of God's omniscience, they first have to conclusively refute the Reformed doctrine of God's Providence.

Ware is pretty good...it's tough coming up with a specific book to "refute" open (a)theism.

There is no systematic understanding that proponents accept. Some are just more "literal" when they approach Scripture....others are radically pomo in their approach, denying any real foundation for understanding language....some are just outright liberal (while others claim to be evangelical).

John Piper has a whole section on his site at http://www.desiringGOD.org devoted to OT. Piper's been one of the most outspoken folks on the subject.

By the way, last year, I registered GodExalted.org as a domain name. I intend (still) to put up a site dedicated to a reformed response to OT. If more than a few of you are capable and ready to write on OT, I'd love to host articles from you (*coughScott,C.Matthew,PastorWaycough*)

Middle Knowledge

I think I read a short brief from Matthew on Middle Knowledge (Molinism) and its leading into Open Theism. Is that right? I need to go search, it was a couple of years ago.

TD

Found it.

The Heresy of Middle Knowledge. Under Articles by Mathew....on apuritansmind,
don't have time to link taking off, but I think it's a great tie in. First one I ever read when a buddy of mine said he believed in it. Might have been how I found this site, seeking out that info. Praise God for that.
My buddy is still confused on the issue though.

TD

Originally posted by puritancovenanter
What is prepositional?:candle: Enlighten me. Why do you need a presuppositional perspective?

go to apologetic methodology here on puritanboard.
also read 5 views on apologetic methodology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back