On overmuch sorrow (Thomas Aquinas)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
It is human for sorrow to touch our hearts, but it is bad when it completely takes over our heart because it then destroys our reason.

Thomas Aquinas, Super Evangelium S. Ioannis Lectura (1270-72), C.16.L2.n2084.4.

It is human for sorrow to touch our hearts, but it is bad when it completely takes over our heart because it then destroys our reason.

This is true. Does this refer to allowing sorrow to overtake us in an illegitimate way, or one who is bombarded with one sorrow after another, because of the providence of God sending each event our way? Thank you.

This is true. Does this refer to allowing sorrow to overtake us in an illegitimate way, or one who is bombarded with one sorrow after another, because of the providence of God sending each event our way? Thank you.

I think that he is referring to the former as opposed to the latter situation. There are situations in life where God sends us one trial after another which, humanly speaking, is too much for us to handle, but does not destroy our reason.

That caused a lot of reflection for me. My sorrow or grief at losing my wife more than a year ago is still very strong, but I don’t think it is of the type that impacts reason. It seems to act more to stir my passion for our Lord and to walk soberly. Each breath is precious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back