no faith before Christ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew1344

Puritan Board Sophomore
I definitely believe that men had faith before Christ!

Why does Paul say it like this...
So then, the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified by faith. But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian, for in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, through faith.

(Galatians 3:24-26 ESV)
???

Paul is juxtaposing two principles here, the two great and fundamentally different ways man relates to God--either through obedience (law) or through faith (grace). There is a subtle rhetorical shift in that "law" is read first for the original covenant; and "faith" (the instrument) is read second for the second covenant.

Christ is the great discriminator. People who lived prior to his arrival still related to God properly through Christ, that is by faith. But everyone was waiting for his arrival, which would see the Covenant of Works both fulfilled and answered for in history. That fulfillment would be "the end of the law for righteousness," leaving faith standing (so to speak) alone in its place.

I definitely believe that men had faith before Christ!

Why does Paul say it like this...
So then, the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified by faith. But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian, for in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, through faith.

(Galatians 3:24-26 ESV)
???

I think your getting the right doctrine from the wrong text!
Hebrews Chap 11 mentions Abel so you couldn't get any earlier, as well as mentioning a whole host of Old Testament saints

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back