NEW ESV Study Bible, OCT. 15 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least they didn't let Grudem do 1 Corinthians. :lol: Haha!

:rofl:

For a continuationalist, Grudem has been very helpful on a number of other issues (e.g., inerrancy, role of women, etc.). I appreciated his systematic theology and am sure that his notes would be helpful as well. I am more concerned if they allow Arminians to write the notes.

With all those names of contributors, is the expectation that the ESV study bible notes will lean towards a reformed theology? I know that Crossway is trying to expand the base of the ESV readership, but there are very few study bibles out there that are reformed in interpretation....most are dispensational or dispensational leaning. I hope that the Study bible will be similar to the Spirit of the Reformation Study bible which is available for NIV.

The reason why this is important is that regrettably, the average layman tends take notes seriously, and then read the scriptures through the lens of the notes. We also live at a time in history where many are coming to Christ with no background in bible knowledge and it important that these young believers not be steered into dispensational teaching that appears to be so popular in America.

I would expect it to be more like an NIV Study Bible, only better, maybe much better if the sample pages that have been released so far are any indication. It's certainly not going to be like the Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible with the confessions included and cross referenced in the notes. I also wouldn't expect it to be dispensational leaning. Some of the contributors are historic premil, but I doubt that many are dispensational. All of the editors are Calvinistic as are many of the contributors, although at least one of the contributors is Arminian (Wesley Biblical Seminary), another is no doubt Arminian/Pentecostal (Oss) and I noticed at least one Lutheran. The editors on a project like this are ultimately responsible for the final product.

I haven't had the enthusiasm for the ESV that others have had, but if the rest of this book is as good as the sample pages and it's well put together, I will seriously consider buying one. I'm thinking this will probably be a better resource than the New Geneva/Reformation Study Bible (NKJV/ESV) overall. Packer's articles are good, but other than that I've found the notes to be rather thin. Some have said that some of the notes aren't even Reformed although I have to confess to have never paid it enough attention to notice. The old NKJV NGSB print was so small that I could only use as an occasional reference, and it has maroonish "red letters" that are hard for me to read too. The ESV Reformation Study Bible is black letter and has larger type, but it deleted some helpful features of the NKJV edition and looked to have poor quality leather. I didn't think it was worth the investment since I already had the other two, besides having MacArthur's, which is an excellent resource in many respects even if you are opposed to its dispensationalism.

The ESV Reformation Study Bible is black letter and has larger type, but it deleted some helpful features of the NKJV edition and looked to have poor quality leather. I didn't think it was worth the investment since I already had the other two, besides having MacArthur's, which is an excellent resource in many respects even if you are opposed to its dispensationalism.

Pilgrim, I wrote a few posts back:

"Later this year, they are supposed to reprint the Reformation Study Bible and add color maps and a presentation page. In addition, they say they will have a higher quality leather binding."

I read that on the Ligonier site. Even though the ESV Study Bible may have more or better notes, the type will be smaller than the RSB and I don't think I would use it as often.

The ESV Reformation Study Bible is black letter and has larger type, but it deleted some helpful features of the NKJV edition and looked to have poor quality leather. I didn't think it was worth the investment since I already had the other two, besides having MacArthur's, which is an excellent resource in many respects even if you are opposed to its dispensationalism.

"Later this year, they are supposed to reprint the Reformation Study Bible and add color maps and a presentation page. In addition, they say they will have a higher quality leather binding."

I read that on the Ligonier site. Even though the ESV Study Bible may have more or better notes, the type will be smaller than the RSB and I don't think I would use it as often.

I think it is the other way around, the ESV Study Bible's type is better--or larger, but the SOTR Study Bible has Better notes on the whole.

I think it is the other way around, the ESV Study Bible's type is better--or larger, but the SOTR Study Bible has Better notes on the whole.

From the ESV Study Bible site:

"Typesetting—Set in highly readable, 9-point, single-column type for the Bible text, and 7.25-point, double-column type for the notes."

From the Ligonier site (Reformation Study Bible-ESV current version):

"The type of the ESV text is 10.25 points and the study notes are approximately 8 points."

I wasn't referring to the SOTR Bible because it is NIV. I was comparing the two ESV version Study Bibles. The Reformation Study Bible has larger and more easily readable type than the new ESVSB will have.

How many "study-Bibles" do we need? Always thought the Scripture itself was enough of a "study"?

Although I'm not sure about your second statement, I do also wonder why a new study bible is created every year. While the Christian literature market expands, the soundness of the Church continues to decline.

I may not have made my point very well but what I meant to say was that for many the notes in the margins becomes either synonymous or equal with the Scripture text itself.

AGREED.

I taught Sunday school at my old church. A couple of people had the MacArthur SB and every time I said something that went against MacArthur it was received like I was teaching false doctrine. I wasn't even teaching Covenant Theology (never heard of it at the time). One lady left my class for another the week after I questioned MacArthur's dating of a book in the New Testament.

I talk with James Kinnard of Crossway briefly in this video about it:

[video=youtube;nm6nexBjiEM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm6nexBjiEM[/video]

It's a little ways in the video.

And Cotton Matther - you may want to watch the two interviews (one with Mel Duncan of Ligonier and one with Bob Brady of the Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals) to get a better idea of what T4G is....

I talk with James Kinnard of Crossway briefly in this video about it:

YouTube - T4G08 - highlights - part 3: Bookstore to the sanctuary....

It's a little ways in the video.

And Cotton Matther - you may want to watch the two interviews (one with Mel Duncan of Ligonier and one with Bob Brady of the Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals) to get a better idea of what T4G is....
:rofl: for any "Flight of the Conchords" fans....this reminds me of an episode in the first session where the New Zealand booth and the Australian booth are in close proximity!:lol: One of the better "Murray" episodes.:):):)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back