New Covenant promises to our children

Status
Not open for further replies.

timfost

Puritan Board Senior
I just started studying baptism with my older three children. It is truly a privilege to study it with them as those receiving these precious promises under the NC.

Bill Shishko speaks beautifully to these promises in his closing remarks below.

Please keep in mind that this post is meant to be devotional. I am hoping to encourage those of like mind, not stir up (another) baptism debate. Thank you for understanding!

We have a new son in the house, and the thought of his inclusion in the sphere of discipleship by Christ Himself puts a fire and zeal in my heart to teach, disciple, and put before him and my other children every means of grace. Christ has great respect to the prayers of believing parents for their children as shown in Luke 18, and encourages their presentation to Himself, and is more than happy to bless them even in infant years. Such examples and promises that we have in Scripture indeed should propel us to believing prayer and diligence and labor for their spiritual good. This is how we now put them in the arms of Jesus. May Christ pour His Spirit out on them!

And away with any such view that says because of their status, that we need not bring them to Jesus to ask the blessing.

Thank you for the good reminder.

Isaiah 44:1–5
Yet now hear, O Jacob my servant;
And Israel, whom I have chosen:
2 Thus saith the Lord that made thee,
And formed thee from the womb, which will help thee;
Fear not, O Jacob, my servant;
And thou, Jesurun, whom I have chosen.
3 For I will pour water upon him that is thirsty,
And floods upon the dry ground:
I will pour my spirit upon thy seed,
And my blessing upon thine offspring:
4 And they shall spring up as among the grass,
As willows by the water courses.
5 One shall say, I am the Lord’s;
And another shall call himself by the name of Jacob;
And another shall subscribe with his hand unto the Lord,
And surname himself by the name of Israel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back