Need Wireless Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romans922

Puritan Board Professor
We just moved into a basement apartment and we were told by our landlord that we could just use their internet (wireless). The problem is that because we are in the basement and the place where their wireless router is located there is only one spot that we can get a connection (weak) and it isn't the best spot to do work, etc. Of course there are options out there for us, but this is what I want:

Something to get an internet connection from their wireless signal, I have heard of boosters and antennas, what would be an option for us? I don't want to change anything on their end (because of a little misunderstanding earlier... :( ). Any help?

Someone a bit more tech savvy than I could probably elaborate, but there is a device a friend of mine purchased which runs from the router to a nearby outlet, and then has a mate which you can plug into an outlet near the computer. It uses the electric system of the home to run the signal, but doesn't allow you to be necessarily "wireless" (my friend runs a cable from the device to his desktop).

OK, I should have checked out other threads before responding, but this seems to be exactly what is being discussed here.

Thanks Rich,

So for this the only thing I would have to do would be to install software and then plug the USB into my computer? Is this correct?

Tim, Thanks, but I don't want to mess with anything on their end...

Thanks Rich,

So for this the only thing I would have to do would be to install software and then plug the USB into my computer? Is this correct?

Tim, Thanks, but I don't want to mess with anything on their end...
Yeah, the reviews look really good on it. You can always return it if it doesn't work out.

Rich,

I just got this in the mail and it worked!!!

I was getting anywhere from 1 to 2 mbps. Now it says it is getting 54mbps (which is normal for wireless). Thanks so much. I'm about to try it in other places in my apartment.

Ask your internet source to position the router horizontally (laying flat) and not vertically (standing on a side). I have tested this and found it makes a difference. When the router is horizontal I get a stronger signal on floors above and below the floor the router is on. When the router is vertical I get a stronger signal in rooms on the same floor as the router.

Ask your internet source to position the router horizontally (laying flat) and not vertically (standing on a side). I have tested this and found it makes a difference. When the router is horizontal I get a stronger signal on floors above and below the floor the router is on. When the router is vertical I get a stronger signal in rooms on the same floor as the router.

Or...read through the thread instead of the first post to realize that some advice is OBE... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back