N T Wright's Commentary on Romans, New Interpreter's Bible

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
I read this fourteen years ago. I am far more critical of N. T. Wright now than I was then. On the other hand, I do not view Wright as an existential threat for the Reformed today. His larger works on justification are expensive and not always easy to read. Furthermore, while he might be popular among the missional types, even then the influence can only go so far: he was a member of the House of Lords, supports monarchy, and opposes homosexuality. If I may wax autobiographical for a moment: I was there in the heady days of N. T. Wright, circa 2005. I was in Monroe, or close enough, when he spoke at Auburn Avenue. Many people jumped on board. When they saw the need for rigorous scholarship, they jumped right off. Ligon Duncan once said to me (though I doubt he remembers the conversation) in the RTS book store that those who are infatuated with NT Wright have only read NT Wright. They have not read the more difficult scholars with whom he is interacting. Quite so.

There is another problem: this volume was written over twenty years ago. Much about the New Perspective, both pro and con, has been written since then. This book will give you little help in trying to navigate the debate. Even more, the book is not actually trying to defend the New Perspective, though it does at times. The reader is encouraged to read more specific works about the New Perspective (e.g., Waters, Westerholm, Horton, etc) for a better angle on it. In other words, you probably do not need to drop $60 on this book.

I will offer my own critique of Wright in this book, but it will be an emotionless critique. I am not here to "mightily cast down strongholds." I read NT Wright the same way I read other New Testament scholars: I evaluate them on a case-by-case basis. My goal is to tell you what Wright said and offer my own criticisms. It is my hope that such a dispassionate approach will allow you to calmly explain his views to those in your church who might have questions. It is important not to jump on the NT Wright bandwagon. It is equally important to not overreact with hysteria.

In many ways, this is not so much a commentary but an exercise in biblical theology. And for that reason it will be reviewed, not as a commentary, but as a biblical theology textbook. Many presuppositions are required in reading this commentary. One has to believe that Paul was familiar with the Biblical story (indeed, that the Old Testament even has an overarching narrative, and even if it does, that Paul was concerned about it). One has to believe that Paul saw the church as occupying a key space in God’s continuing narrative that began with Abraham (586).

From a Reformed perspective, so far, so good.

Accordingly, I will not give a commentary on what Wright thought of each chapter. That is certainly possible and worthwhile, but it misses the narratival thrust of what St Paul is trying to say. Instead, I will highlight major themes and hermeneutical movements that Wright says Paul uses and see if they actually work.

The strength of NTW’s commentary is that his thesis tries to match up with what he deems St Paul’s thesis: God’s righteousness is unveiled in the death and resurrection of his Son. I agree with that, but like many of Wright's claims, it is when he keeps talking that he gets in trouble. The next part of the clause:

—and this is the “gospel.”

There are many angles from which to attack this. I will choose just one. That statement--the resurrection of Jesus as Lord--does not tell me how my sin is dealt with. To be sure, Wright does develop this in his talk of being incorporated into the Messiah, but the statement as it stands is incomplete.

New Exodus, New Creation

Wright suggests that chs. 3-8 of Romans form a narratival substructure. St Paul is paralleling the Christian experience with that of YHWH redeeming the Hebrews from Egypt. Wright notes,

“Allowing for Paul’s new perspective, whereby the promise of the land has been redefined into the promise of inheriting the whole cosmos [4:13; 8:18-25], the pattern is exact” (511). The Israelites were in slavery; God’s people have been redeemed from slave masters (Romans 3:24; 6:16). Other verses could support the claim, and while Wright doesn’t spell out the argument here like in his earlier essay, it runs something like this:
  • Chapter 6: sin as a slave master = Egypt;
  • chapter 7: Giving of Torah (ala Exodus 20) = new discussion of Torah and the problem of Torah;
  • end of chapter 7 to 8:11: Israelites in wilderness = Christians being led by the Spirit to their inheritance (same language is used of Spirit as was used of glory cloud in the wanderings).
My comments: I think this works in terms of larger echoes. Is Paul simply talking about the New Exodus and not my individual salvation? I do not think so. I think it is both. I think it is rather Paul is using Exodus as a template that allows him to speak of both individual and corporate redemption. Moreover, as Reformed we cannot go with his interpretation of Romans 7.

What do we make of this argument? Admittedly, it does have a remarkable unity to it. It places the drama of redemption on a cosmic field. It retells the Old Testament story but this time around the redemption won in Christ. It implicitly draws upon the strong philosophical and hermeneutical resources of “narrative.” But can we know for certain this is what Paul really meant? Maybe, maybe not. Can we know that Paul really meant us to read his letter like a scientific database to proof-text doctrines? Accepting or not accepting Wright’s argument depends on one’s own hermeneutical allowances.

I think there is a lot to be said for this argument. Israel was called to be the means through which God’s saving work was brought to the world. Yet, Israel became the problem and in a sense, it became the microcosm of the problem. Therefore, reading Romans as a narrative on Israel’s narrative makes sense.

Paul and Torah

Torah was God’s gift to Israel to be given to the world. Yet Torah soon was intertwined with the problem. Instead of dealing with sin, it highlighted the sin. There was no way for Israel to escape the dialectic. God’s son—God’s servant ala Isaiah 40-55—allowed Torah to reach a “critical point” on himself, focusing the world’s sins in one place, and dealing decisively with the sin problem once and for all through the death of the Messiah.

This helps us understand the “works of the law” debate. If works of the law is rightly identified with the rites of ethnic Israel—the boundary markers—then what Paul is saying makes sense. If salvation were through Torah, then the death and resurrection of the Messiah is meaningless. If salvation were through Torah and “identity markers,” then we cannot relate to God through faith.

I agree with him that we do not relate to God by Torah and circumcision, but does that exhaust "works of the law?" We find a similar phrase in Galatians 3. "For all those who rely on the works of the law are under a curse." Paul immediately cites Deuteronomy 27:26 as a proof-text. Reading Deuteronomy 27, we find a range of actions that are not reducible to mere identity markers:

• idolatry (v.15)
  • dishonoring parents (v. 16)
  • incest (vv. 20, 22, 23)
  • murder (24).
In fact, none of them is a boundary marker. The Reformed case, by contrast, can take all of Wright's insights and still retain its fundamental structure and claims.

Conclusion

This is one of those books that really deserves an extended commentary. It is full of rich insights that cannot be exhausted in one review. There are a few drawbacks, but that happens with any commentary. While the format of the NIB is generally good, the editors’ decision to use the NIV and NRSV as the translations in the text mar a lot of the work. Notwithstanding, this is an interesting commentary.

There is another problem with the commentary. It does not "preach." I do not mean that as an insult. See my earlier comment about its being a biblical theology text. The aim is not word-for-word analysis. Wright gives a good survey of the field, but he often misses many particulars. Some of these particulars, such as how I am right with God, are very importan

I think the fundamental issue that Wright misses is that the Rabbinical mainstream, of which Pharisees were the most consistent to argue with Christ, believed that a righteous person was righteous through the keeping of the Torah. They revile Christ because He associated with sinners. They did not see themselves as sinners. Sinners could become penitents and undo their departure from Torah by a corresponding obedience to it but they could not be considered righteous in the way Jesus notes that the Publican was before God. Their problem was that they did not see themselves as sinners and that the only people Christ could associate Himself with were sinners. Wright sees in Rabbinical conceptions of grace a kind of grace that accords with his own semi-Pelagian conception so boundary markers make sense to him. What doesn't make sense to him is the death/life, Adam/Christ, flesh/Spirit paradigm in Paul because Paul sees that the true boundary marker is whether one is in Adam or is in Christ.

I think the fundamental issue that Wright misses is that the Rabbinical mainstream, of which Pharisees were the most consistent to argue with Christ, believed that a righteous person was righteous through the keeping of the Torah. They revile Christ because He associated with sinners. They did not see themselves as sinners. Sinners could become penitents and undo their departure from Torah by a corresponding obedience to it but they could not be considered righteous in the way Jesus notes that the Publican was before God. Their problem was that they did not see themselves as sinners and that the only people Christ could associate Himself with were sinners. Wright sees in Rabbinical conceptions of grace a kind of grace that accords with his own semi-Pelagian conception so boundary markers make sense to him. What doesn't make sense to him is the death/life, Adam/Christ, flesh/Spirit paradigm in Paul because Paul sees that the true boundary marker is whether one is in Adam or is in Christ.
I think you might be onto something since Wright eshews any later labels from the early church and beyond.
I don't think Wright is a semi-Pelagian but he seems to give a lot of weight to notion that the law can be kept, per his interpretation of Romans 2 (now I have read other orthodox people who take a similar line but aren't NPP). If it can be said that supposedly Luther read his context into Paul, the new perspective is equally guilty, if not more so, of reading the Judaism of EP Sanders flavor into Paul. As a result, standard Greek lexemes are turned on their head for the sake of 'context.' I'm certainly not disagreeing with the Reformation interpretations (I affirm them and in fact believe in the past few years I would say that I have been vindicated by recent studies that I have posted here), but they at least were trying to read what the text says.
As Jacob highlighted, I do think Wright finds allusions, but then he let's his interpretations of those allusions do the heavy lifting in Paul.
As a result I am sometimes surprised not see his commentary n Romans 16:11 "Greet Herodion, my fellow Jew" read as "See! This is another reference to God’s single-plan-through-Israel-for-the-world!" Perhaps, that's a jab but whatever. As Jacob alluded to his post, I think Wright read uncritically is
1000001518.gif

Last edited:
I think you might be onto something since Wright eshews any later labels from the early church and beyond.

I just had an epiphany: Wright is a biblicist. His method is identical to theirs. If you are a biblicist, I am not sure exactly how someone would attack Wright on theological method.

I just had an epiphany: Wright is a biblicist. His method is identical to theirs. If you are a biblicist, I am not sure exactly how someone would attack Wright on theological method.
I think that is true, but I also think that Wright tends to find the things in Paul from his "recovery" that he wants to see. I think there is sort of a neo-Orthodox, Missional strain in Wright that makes him attractive to the Missional themselves.

Wright, for instance, sees the point in Romans 8 about the groaning of Creation that the cosmic redemption accomplished by Christ is for the world and not for the elect. That's why he talks about the idea that the salvation of the Church is really only a "first stage" kind of thing because the Church is part of God's intent to redeem Creation itself.

He flattens the Reformation out into the idea that it was concerned only with individual salvation because he thinks that what Paul is really after is not the salvation of a peculiar people but all of Cration. So, he tries to show that the Reformation got the Jews wrong and read into them the idea that they believe the Jews believed in works righteousness. Yet, the kind of grace he points out is of a semi-Pelagian variety and, as Carson's work points out, he is selective in his sources and pretends as if there was one idea of Covenantal nomism.

To further my point, however, about Wright being a man of his time, if he was really concerned about what Paul really wrote, then he would go further and be critical of his own church on the role of women as priests and bishops. He'd go further and point out that Paul was not merely a "man of his time" on homosexuality.

He only "recovers" Paul in a way that is respectable.

He'd go further and point out that Paul was not merely a "man of his time" on homosexuality.

NT Wright actually suggested disciplinary actions for the pro-gay clergy in CoE. Of course, paper tiger and all, but do you have documents where he said that about Paul and sexuality, given that he himself takes a creational approach to marriage?

NT Wright actually suggested disciplinary actions for the pro-gay clergy in CoE. Of course, paper tiger and all, but do you have documents where he said that about Paul and sexuality, given that he himself takes a creational approach to marriage?
I'm not suggesting he's "pro-homosexuality" per se, but merely that he tends to focus his historical theology on the recovery of Paul to how the Reformation got him wrong. Given the broad confusion on Creational notions of men and women, a more urgent need would be to trace what Paul and Jesus really said about men and women.

I'm not suggesting he's "pro-homosexuality" per se, but merely that he tends to focus his historical theology on the recovery of Paul to how the Reformation got him wrong. Given the broad confusion on Creational notions of men and women, a more urgent need would be to trace what Paul and Jesus really said about men and women.
I get the impression, having read most of his major works and listened to hundreds of hours of him, that he does address what Jesus and Paul say about men and women (granted, though, many of his major works were written in the 90s when even liberals believed in two sexes).

Even his stuff on Paul, what we call the NPP is not the only thing he writes about. I'm 400 or so pages into his Paul and the Faithfulness of God and he has yet to address the current debate.

As early as 2002, he was anchoring his reading of Paul's denunciation of homosexuality within the larger creational narrative.

As early as 2002, he was anchoring his reading of Paul's denunciation of homosexuality within the larger creational narrative.
OK, thanks. I retract that portion. It doesn't explain why he doesn't denounce female ordination.

This little ditty exposes a few problematic theological presuppositions...

That right there ended any real sympathy I may have hypothetically had with Wright. He's friends with Collins? I now view him the same way I do Russell Moore and David French. Well, maybe not. I still like Wright better. This is terrible, though.

That right there ended any real sympathy I may have hypothetically had with Wright. He's friends with Collins? I now view him the same way I do Russell Moore and David French. Well, maybe not. I still like Wright better. This is terrible, though.
That video is where his Romans 8 theology comes out about God's ultimate priority in salvation.

What's funny about that video is that the same interviewer interviewed Keller and Collins a few months early with the same: "i can think of no two people better qualified to address this topic...."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back