Methods of getting the word out: Advertising/marketing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quickened

Puritan Board Senior
The title of the thread might raise an eyebrow. I wince at "marketing" but I wasn't sure on proper wording so I'm going to roll with it.

In Light of the other post about mailers... How does your Church get the word out?

The online presence of people has increased. Making sure there is at least one social media outlet seems necessary (facebook) but are there other Methods that are used to build an online presence?

The other question I was pondering: Is there really effective advertising outside of word of mouth? Mailers can be tossed. We don't want to spam people but you want your congregation to have some visibility.

What triggered the thread? Checking out two different churches of different sizes. One was set up with all sorts of social media the other one had almost zero online presence.

What has/hasn't worked for you or your church?

We maintain a basic media presence (website, Facebook, newspaper listings, phone book) so that people looking for churches in town will see ours pop up. But we don't do any special advertising beyond that. We get noticed by being out in the community and inviting people in. We're involved in jail ministry and homeless ministry. We run service projects and Bible classes at a public elementary school. We run a camp. We give away cold beverages at the Fourth of July parade and hot beverages at the Christmas parade. We invite community groups to use our building on weekdays. When you do those things, you get noticed and people become comfortable with you. And then, what do you know, some of them start showing up for services.

Social media and the net seem to be easy and cheap. Do you have a good website? Are you on the various listing for reformed churches in your community?

The other thing that seems to draw people in are invites from the families of the church members. Are they bringing guests?

For many of our small reformed churches, kid's programs or activities or youth groups are NOT the draw. Family and friends and doctrine must be the draw, and so these things must be highlighted.

Folks inviting their friends, neighbors, and co-workers is probably the most effective way to grow a congregation.

Concert series can bring in folks that wouldn't otherwise darken the doors of a church, but I'm not sure that it has a very high conversion rate.

One really important aspect that is often overlooked is how your church brands itself. What I mean is that there is often a tendency to project a kind of vague identity in order to attract a broader audience, but this strategy is ultimately ineffective. Your branding must be consistent to who you are so that you can attract the kind of people who are looking for a church like yours. So if your church is a solid reformed church that teaches and preaches the Bible and sound theology, make sure that this is part of the identity that you are communicating to the outside world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back