Mens Group - help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

David FCC

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi guys, I'm starting a mens group at my church but am not 100% as to what we will be doing, looking at, studying.

Have any of you got suggestions as to what could be done, maybe stuff done at your own church.

I was looking for a study which uses powerpoint or something but could not find any that are free. I think the church charges for everything these days. whatever happened to freely give? :eek:)

Your suggestions are massively appreciated in advance.

Thanks guys

Brother, I think you need to give us some place to start. Your question is the broadest that it possibly could be (well, okay, you have at least stated that it is a men's study).

What church is this? How old are the men? Overall, are they mature in the Reformed faith? What do they need as a group right now to take their faith and understanding to the next level? What is being preached on right now? Do you wish to have this study complement content from the pulpit?

What is your current capability?

Do you wish to study a book of the bible? A topic in systematic theology? A historic church document such as a catechism or confession? A topic of practical theology such as relationships or finances?

We are currently having a Saturday AM men's breakfast. We are going through J.I. Packer's "Knowing God" one chapter per week. It isn't powerpoint. However, a free copy is given out when the recipient promise to pass this copy along to someone who they know, that could use a little encouragement. We have open chat during the cooking and cleanup time, but stay focused on book discussion and applicable scripture during the study time. We end in prayer by whoever desires to pray, closed by our pastor's prayer. The time is posted as 0800-930 so people know that they will not be here for the most part of the day. Those who volunteer to clean up, stay a little bit longer. :wink:

Hi Tim, I realise how vague my post was but really I'm looking for suggestions from other churches as to what they do.

We are a church of Scotland congregation and the group ages will vary greatly. On the whole the group would be pretty knowledgeable in the scriptures. We are still considered a conservative church amongst CofS circles. I feel we are lacking in the discipling of members in the church. We are very good at attending church etc but maybe not so good at putting into practice the things we learn, outside of the church.

I myself have only been on the road 5 years, Done a little preaching in the last year or so & am studying first year theology course.

I felt a burden for a group in our church whereby the men can get together to study/pray/share a meal etc.

I think its probably something on practical Christianity I would like us to focus on now i've really thought about it.

I'm Rambling..................

Any suggestions now brother?

Well you can study something your self and put together your own powerpoint. But Maybe RC Sproul videos? You can watch many for free and download notes for free, and teh prices are affordable. But I don't think there is something wrong with charging for work done. A worker deserves his wages.

We have at our church something we call discovery. It's an informal study. During the scholar year (people aren't as busy with summer activities) we have it every second Friday evening, and doing one chapter per Friday. And a different brother leads (we have 4 men now, we had 6, but 2 moved) and we go through a rotation. We are covering the book of John, and tying personal experience (not in the charismatic sense) pratical application, and gospel application.

It's about a 3 - 4 day study prior to that evening since one brother is leading, he has to know as much as possible to ensure we don't go in to just any thought and the others leave thinking something was accurate when in fact is was a heresy. We try to keep it to between 2 - 3 hrs...

During the summer, we still have it, but we switch to topical study. We have done Anger, and I covered Gossiping....can't wait to see what the other brothers are going to cover.

If your group generally knows the Scriptures but is slow to practice their faith outside of church, it's a safe bet there isn't much private prayer going on. How about a Prayer Life study? Alas, it is not free. But if prayer starts to thrive, practical Christian living is likely to follow.

One suggestion is just go through the Book of John, one or two chapters a week with you preparing to lead discussion of it each week, fifty minutes Bible study read and study, ten minutes corporate prayer. You can add a snack before or after, but don't that detract.

If you want a book study, JI Packer's Knowing God is very good, What is Reformed Theology by RC Sproul is excellent and deep. The Holiness of God or Chosen by God are also very good.

One suggestion is just go through the Book of John, one or two chapters a week with you preparing to lead discussion of it each week, fifty minutes Bible study read and study, fifteen minutes corporate prayer. You can do advance preparation but don't even have to use a study guide. Learn the discipline of the Holy Spirit illuminating your understanding as you read and study the Word.

You can add a snack before or after, but don't let that detract. Respect the time commitment, limit the time to about one hour.

If you want a book study, JI Packer's Knowing God is very good, What is Reformed Theology by RC Sproul is excellent and deep. It is currently still free also on-line: http://www.ligonier.org/learn/series/what_is_reformed_theology/ but having the book and the leader's guide is also very helpful.

The Holiness of God or Chosen by God are also very good.

An excellent study guide to go with the book of Romans, Mr. GI Williamson's guide:
http://www.nethtc.net/~giwopc/RomansStudent.pdf

Westminster Confession of Faith and Catechism studies by G. I. Williamson.

Heidelberg Catechism study guides: Bible Studies and Catechisms

Since there are enough free sermons on sermonaudio covering the WCF, WLC, LBCF, & HC you could listen to them and compile your own studies. Or use them in conjuction with other material. It works out fairly well. Joe Morecraft on WLC and Joel Beeke on HC. Also Joel Beeke has put out the following book: Bible Doctrine Workbook (Teacher's & Student's). You could also use Ursinus' Exposition of the HC or An Exposition of the Westminster Confession of Faith by Robert Shaw. And if you're determined, type in the name of a confession/catechism followed by ppt on Google and you'll find a lot of material. There's a lot of practicality in learning how to glorify God and fully to enjoy Him forever. You could spend 2 or 3 months on just Q1 alone.

But you should avoid powerpoint like the plague it is.

Our small men's group meets at a local place instead of the church. We were meeting at Borders until they closed; now we meet at a Chick-fil-A.

We are studying Thomas Watson's The Godly Man's Picture (recommended by some here on the PB when I started a similar thread a few years ago). Another recommendation would be Watson's The Great Gain of Godliness. Watson is probably one of the easiest Puritans to read, but it is still good meaty stuff.

Brother, the gospel is like being at war. Actually Paul used often military terms and metaphors, like the "Armor of God" (Ephesians 6)
So, when you watch the way we Christians act today is mostly Camp training-care of troops, missile launch from the bases (most of them get lost: Radio/TV/Printed Media broadcasting), and lots of entertainment in the name of "Christianity", many of as consider "Christianity" as the same way we use a sunblocker at the beach, to keep us safe from the harmful sun rays.....

But......OUR REAL FIGHT IS IN THE FIELD!!!.......right there is the real fight and the real place where this war must be fought.
So my suggestion is, prepare the soldiers to fight, train them for this purpose ONLY, keeping the battle to be fought always in mind, do not use the gospel as entertainer-good feeling-peace of mind-settler of the dust of our inner conflicts-to be cool people.........and then go and fight!!!

So many fronts that need prepared soldiers!

"Fight the good fight of the faith" (1st Thimothy 6:12)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back