Marriage License

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladestunner316

Puritan Board Doctor
If one could not afford a typical wedding and decided to get married legally and save for a marriage would that be ok from a biblical viewpoint?

blade

Originally posted by Bladestunner316
If one could not afford a typical wedding and decided to get married legally and save for a marriage would that be ok from a biblical viewpoint?

blade

Nathan,
Marriages are not expensive; the license is cheap and a pastor can do the ceremony for no cost.

blade
Is this just a hypothetical question, or...

People overdo the "wedding" portion. Keep it simple and in your price range...ditto the license and minister.

well yeah I would want the minister.

bare with me here.

The reason I asked was because I was thinking if a couple could not afford a traditional wedding but yet did not want to put off their natural desires for a year or more to save for a traditional wedding and did not want to do anything before marriage would it be ok biblically to have a small ceremony license plus minister and then save up for a nice formal wedding.

blade

It's actually considered a bit strange (raised eyebrows from others type strange) and more than a bit tacky...take it from someone who was in a "wedding" where the couple had eloped the month before (hubby even tried to get me to the courthouse the week before our wedding). I really don't think it's a good idea.

Or just get married and let it be that.

I don't believe in long engagements...I had one...it was torture...

I don't see anything wrong with it personally. What's wrong with getting married and then later on renewing your vows in the big ceremony that you want?

Originally posted by LadyFlynt
Or just get married and let it be that.

I don't believe in long engagements...I had one...it was torture...

Debbie and I met on April 2nd and we were married July 1st . . . the same year.

That was 27 years ago.

Originally posted by BaptistCanuk
That's great Gerry. :up:

My fiancee's name is Debbie. We're getting married when God and U.S. immigration say so.

My nephew married a girl from Romania. They were married here in the states (Indiana) and a few months later went over to her homeland to be married again.

Of course, he is Roman Catholic and she is (I think) Greek Orthodox so maybe this is different, but I don't see why two weddings is improper. It sure would have been hard for her family to come over or vice versa.

(Added as an afterthought)

My aunt married a Canadien and eventually (after about 20+ years) became a Canadien citizen so she could vote and what not. They have 3 boys - 2 stayed in Canada and married up there and 1 came to the states and married an American girl.

[Edited on 5-2-2006 by gwine]

I think having a big wedding is almost certainly a sin. So small is definitely my recommendation.

Originally posted by SemperFideles
long engagements sound like torture indeed.
Big time. My wife and I should have heeded Paul's advice...

:ditto: Wish hubby had pushed harder for that elopement a year earlier...come to find out, so did my parents.

I do not think that an expensive ceremony or even a legal marriage are necessary for marriage in God's eyes. In cases where either cannot be afforded (the latter being the case in many developing countries), I still believe two people can commit and enter into the covenant of marriage.

Originally posted by Mike
I do not think that an expensive ceremony or even a legal marriage are necessary for marriage in God's eyes. In cases where either cannot be afforded (the latter being the case in many developing countries), I still believe two people can commit and enter into the covenant of marriage.

One might be "married" in God's eyes but to eschew a legal piece of paper is not a good idea. The couple would not have the benefits that our society confers to married people - insurance, taxes, property, children and medical all come to mind. Try going to a hospital and signing papers for treatment for your "wife" - you would be fortunate to see her, much less make a decision for her.

Originally posted by gwine
Originally posted by BaptistCanuk
That's great Gerry. :up:

My fiancee's name is Debbie. We're getting married when God and U.S. immigration say so.

My nephew married a girl from Romania. They were married here in the states (Indiana) and a few months later went over to her homeland to be married again.

Of course, he is Roman Catholic and she is (I think) Greek Orthodox so maybe this is different, but I don't see why two weddings is improper. It sure would have been hard for her family to come over or vice versa.

(Added as an afterthought)

My aunt married a Canadien and eventually (after about 20+ years) became a Canadien citizen so she could vote and what not. They have 3 boys - 2 stayed in Canada and married up there and 1 came to the states and married an American girl.

[Edited on 5-2-2006 by gwine]

Hey that's cool Gerry. Have you been to Canada at all? My fiancee lives in Indiana.:banana:

Now that is interesting. We are from Indiana (Fort Wayne area) and have been up the the Sault Sainte Marie area quite a bit - that's where my aunt and uncle live (and my maternal grandparents lived before they died.) So I went up there once or twice a year when I was younger, but we haven't been up there for a few years now. Soon we will need a passport to get up there.

Whereabouts is your fiancee from? Are you moving to the States after you get married?

Hey Gerry, I'd love to go up to the Soo sometime. I've never been there.

My fiancee is from Goshen, IN. Yes, I will be moving there if I'm allowed to. I have family up in Wisconsin as well.

One might be "married" in God's eyes but to eschew a legal piece of paper is not a good idea. The couple would not have the benefits that our society confers to married people - insurance, taxes, property, children and medical all come to mind. Try going to a hospital and signing papers for treatment for your "wife" - you would be fortunate to see her, much less make a decision for her.

I'm not sure that I've EVER needed a marriage license to prove that I was married - not at a hospital, not for taxes, not for anything.

As a female, I will need my birth cert and my marriage license to get a driver's license in this state. My birth to prove I exist...my marriage license to prove that I am the person on the birth cert and that is why my other license has a different surname, etc.

Originally posted by Chad Degenhart

I'm not sure that I've EVER needed a marriage license to prove that I was married - not at a hospital, not for taxes, not for anything.

Once again I am at a loss for how to answer you. But I am certain that a couple living together and not married would eventually get found out if they tried to claim they were married.

Originally posted by Chad Degenhart

Once again I am at a loss for how to answer you. But I am certain that a couple living together and not married would eventually get found out if they tried to claim they were married.

I would expect that their sin would find them out.

But I am not talking about anyone claiming to be married when they are not, just that a state certificate is not required for a marriage. Two couples were married in our church within the last couple of years that did not obtain a state license, and are managing just fine without it. The women have driver's licenses and all the conveniences of the modern mobile society. My point is simply that it is not necessary to have the state license to be married and function in society as a married couple.

Chad, things vary by state. You are right that people can act and be married without a license from the state, but if you are in a position to ask the state to adjudicate something that depends upon the validity of a marriage, then the problems start.

In Montana, for instance, common-law marriage is recognized by statute. The problem comes up often in the case of widow's benefits to a state or private pension. A common law wife may obtain the benefits, but she will have to prove in court that she was a common law wife. If she had the license recorded in a county, a certified copy would solve the question.

In Washington State, on the other hand, a common law marriage is not recognized. But, ironically, Washington will recognize a marriage that was recognized in another state; so common law marriages that are formed in Montana are legal marriages in Washington. But, if a situation arose as stated above, the surviving spouse would still have to prove in court that they were married according to Montana's laws.

I'm not saying it is the right thing to have a state officially recognize marriage, only that this is what we have.

Vic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back