"Lordship Salvation"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeremy,
Your post is most gracious. Please forgive me for being curt. We want you here. The Puritan Board is a community of loving people; as well, we are all learning.

Thanks for your participation brother.

No problem. It was my error. You have nothing to be sorry for.

I look forward to further fellowship with my brothers in Christ!

In Him,

Jeremy

Jeremy,

I don't know how close these would be, but I found one RCUS (Providence) congegation in your area code ((570) 966-5992) and three OPC's and two PCA's

Check the church directories for these confessional Reformed denominations:

http://www.naparc.org/

rsc

Thank you my friend. I will look into this and call the #s.

Will you please pray for my wife that God will turn her heart towards the reformed faith. She's still attached to the E-Free church and that could be a problem trying to go to a reformed church.

But God can work miracles can't He.

J

My wife's name is Amanda.

[Edited on 5-23-2005 by Jeremy]

Originally posted by Jeremy
Thank you my friend. I will look into this and call the #s.

Will you please pray for my wife that God will turn her heart towards the reformed faith. She's still attached to the E-Free church and that could be a problem trying to go to a reformed church.

But God can work miracles can't He.

J

My wife's name is Amanda.

[Edited on 5-23-2005 by Jeremy]

Jeremy,

The PCA church in Moosic is pastored by Steve Wilson, a friend of mine. I just bumped into him recently at a Peacemakers seminar.

http://www.hopenepa.org/

[Edited on 5-23-2005 by tcalbrecht]

Scott Sorry.

Originally posted by Jeremy
No problem. It was my error. You have nothing to be sorry for.

I look forward to further fellowship with my brothers in Christ!

In Him,

Jeremy

Jeremy, I think you are wrong here, your posts were great, information seeking statements and questions. We don't all have it all figured out in our minds, let alone have the practice to phrase it to perfection.

No offense to Scott, but Scott did have something to be sorry for and he apologized which was nice. I can't hold a candle to him or prob. anybody else on this board and wouldn't challenge him on doctrinal issues; but in reading your initial posts it was obvious to me where you were coming from and Scott went on the attack like a wolverine. What he said was accurate, but not in gentleness or respect. I think it's good he recognized it, and apologized, it might not of been to me, but I accept the apology.

I love this site, and Scott and every moderator on here, but I think an elect person not yet educated in reformed ways would have been put off, hopefully they take the time to read the entire post, because this is a great place to learn, growing in the knowledge of the faith, the key word there is growing.

:2cents:

Originally posted by Larry Hughes
Jeremy,

A better, truly reformed book on this very issue, and responding to both these books (above) dangerous short fallings over the issue is "Christ the Lord"....

Ldh

Is this the book by Mike Horton? Could you expand a little on this? By no means do I side with Hodges. However, since the time I first heard MacArthur until now, I have thought that he is very heavy on law without an equal emphasis on the gospel. I come away from his books and sermons feeling like I am back in my perfectionistic methodist days when I was younger. Someone mentioned in another post that the reason the puritans emphasized the law so much was because they emphasized the gospel just as much too, but when I listen to JMac I do not sense this balance. Did he overreact to the opposite extreme form Hodges? Is this just me or is this what this book (Horton?) talks about?

RAS...I can't comment on the book, but after attending JMac's church for four years, I fully agree that the emphasis leans toward law/works. Many will dispute this, but it is a well thought out opinion based upon many years under his teaching.

As for TDsurf's observation...he's right on the money. I haven't posted in a couple of months due to the fact that the last time I had a question about the reformed faith, I was shot down by a mental giant who didn't show much grace (and no...it wasn't Scott). Other's came back and guided me toward the answer I was looking for...which I appreciate...but it takes but one impatient response to scare some away. As with Jeremy, I'm learning...and I come to this site because of the knowledge many of you have to share...thank you to those who share gracefully.

Just for the record, dialoging in an internet forum is at times ambiguous. There are times when we say something that is graceful but comes across as untempered. This comes with the territory. My comments earlier were at best curt; This I apologized for.

In regards to being graceful: Is it graceful when God kills his children for taking the supper erroneously? Or when He chastens us? Or when we get rebuked? Is it graceful when I take the rod out on my daughter Zoe?

[Edited on 5-23-2005 by Scott Bushey]

Yes, Scott, especially the last example. It may not be pleasant for either of you but it's certainly gracious. Chasten your children while there is still hope, to make a bad paraphrase.

Chastening, as you know, is not judgment, it's gracious.

We need to be gracious, but sometimes it's hard to distinguish between a pot-stirrer and a person who is honestly struggling and needs help. Especially on the Internet it's hard to tell, and I think mistakes get made.

MacArthur is reacting to the Antinomian Dispensationalists. If you read the book, Faith Works, by Johny Mac, I think that will become clear.

RAS,

Did he overreact to the opposite extreme form Hodges? Is this just me or is this what this book (Horton?) talks about?

I love JM, but his book was honestly a bit ambigious concerning several issues surrounding the Gospel and re-defining saving faith. He actually defines it by a non-reformed formula and ends up defining it as "by works", albeit, I think, accidentally or really not thinking through what he was saying. Not to quibble about mere words, but as John Calvin said he would not quibble about a word if the whole of the Christian religion did not turn on it (re, Justification). But I don't want to get into a debate over JM, like I said I love a lot of his ministry. But yes, the book I recommended was edited by M. Horton and several other reformed/lutheran persons on this very issue.

I'm not certain if he (JM) over-reacted, which is understandable considering Hodges completely outside the orthodox pale foolishness, or the whole disp. confusion over Law/Gospel, or just bad unprecise language or all of the above. None-the-less, I highly recommend getting Horton's book for a true and careful perspective as they flesh out these details with much grace and accuracy. Actually it is not his book, he was just chief editor.

Ldh

"In regards to being graceful: Is it graceful when God kills his children for taking the supper erroneously? Or when He chastens us? Or when we get rebuked? Is it graceful when I take the rod out on my daughter Zoe?"

I hate beating a dead horse...but this is taking what I wrote totally out of context...even misrepresenting what I said. If a guy is blantantly trying to "stir the pot," which I think is obvious most of the time, then take him to task. I've watched some, including myself, ask an honest question and get shot down by an impatient response, which lacks grace. That's all I'm saying...and you know what? Sometimes that'll happen...and we gotta' show grace to the guy who's not showing grace...so I realize it goes both ways. No hard feelings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back