Looking for In-Print Material on "Continental" v. "Puritan" on the Sabbath

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyhyde

Puritan Board Sophomore
Hi all,

Given that it's popular to pit the "Continental" view of the Sabbath against the "Puritan" view, I am wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of anything in-print that makes that case or just uses the terminology. I have the following that do, but am looking for more in-print resources:

R. C. Sproul, Now, That's a Good Question!
R. C. Sproul, Truths We Confess

Any others?

"Last, but not least, these ways of spending Sunday inflict a cruel injury on the souls of multitudes of people, Public transport cannot be run on Sundays without employing thousands of persons if people will make Sunday a day for traveling and excursions. Entertainments cannot be opened on Sundays without the employment of many to cater for those who patronize them. And have not all these unfortunate persons immortal souls? Do they not all need a, day of rest as much as anyone else? Beyond doubt they do. But Sunday is no Sunday to them, so long as these public desecrations of the Sabbath are permitted. Their life becomes a long unbroken chain of work, work, unceasing work: in short, what is play to others becomes death to them. Away with the idea that a pleasure-seeking, Continental Sabbath is mercy to anyone! It is nothing less than an enormous fallacy to call it so. Such a Sabbath is real mercy to nobody, and is positive sacrifice to some."

From J.C. Ryle's "Sabbath: A Day to Keep"

Available Online: Sabbath A Day to Keep,  Bishop J. C. Ryle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back