Logical order of Justification and Regeneration

Status
Not open for further replies.

fralo4truth

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi friends,

Are there any prominent Calvinists today who hold that justification logically preceeds regeneration?

Isn't it true that Calvin argued this way, but the order was reversed by those who would follow in the 17th century?

Thanks a lot.

Isn't it true that Calvin argued this way, but the order was reversed by those who would follow in the 17th century?

It is my understanding, (although please correct me if I'm wrong) that what Calvin meant by regeneration is closer to what we mean today by definitive sanctification.

The change in the definition of regeneration had more to due with the response to the Remonstrance/Arminians.

Regeneration has a narrow use of the word, as well as a broad use. The narrow use refers to the initial bringing to life of a spiritually dead person. The broad use refers to the entire renewal process of man from the contamination of sin. Most reformers use the broad word in their writings. Context and qualifications in their sentences will designate when they are resticting the meaning to the narrow use. Hence the thoughts you had regarding Calvin. In this sense, it is very true that justification occurs before regeneration.

Blessings!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back