Libertarianism and spanking

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesusIsLord

Puritan Board Freshman
Good day guys, I am part of a group on FB that speaks about the Libertarian perspective. Today there was a post about spanking and it violating the NAP (non agression principle). With that said, some have concluded that to spank is agression towards your child because your child is the involutary party and if they had a voice, they would not want you to spank them. Does this make sense? To me, i cant throw away everything i read in scripture that speaks about discipline.

I do not follow as to what you are asking.
Yes, there are radical libertarians like that who want every child emancipated, etc. ,,etc.
From a Biblical perspective however, children are a gift from God to whom we are to steward just like the earth. We train them and sometimes we have to discipline.

Im sorry for being confusing. My question is whether the Libertarian perspective on spanking is one that can be defended by scripture?

From what I've discovered, many libertarians define childhood ending at the ability to leave and be self-sufficient. Theoretically if person can leave the house, get a job and so forth he is free. Rothbard held this view. History bears this out yet most children's "rights" advocates tend to forget the responsibly part of the equation. Ancient cultures demanded a lot of more of youth but they had less rights. Whatever the short comings of past ages, we've now turned that arrangement on its head. Modern sociologists, social workers, psychologists and so forth are long on individual rights, positive or otherwise, and short on individual responsibility. Back to the OPs question, I'd imagine that those like libertarian Stefan Molyneux, who holds pretty radical parenting views in applying the NAP, would abhor spanking yet balk at the idea at not grabbing a four year old as he ran into the street nor would he leave a child in a car that wouldn't come into a store voluntarily.

Im sorry for being confusing. My question is whether the Libertarian perspective on spanking is one that can be defended by scripture?
I was posting while you were clarifying. Libertarians are not united on spanking and so it's a moot point.

You should meet my sisters two children that went totally "spankless". She "reasoned" with them. Sort of like this "that was naughty wasnt it, you wont do that again will you?" What a joke they got away with everything and are now adults and totally socially, rude disfunctional self absorbed people.

My question is whether the Libertarian perspective on spanking is one that can be defended by scripture?

Short answer is no, but I wonder if this is even a common view among Libertarians. Even though they highly exalt personal choice, they still recognize that everyone is still under some kind of law. Why should it be different with children? They can't be entirely "free", there must be some limitations and repercussions for crossing them.

Sounds more like some person's hobby horse than some kind of "non-aggression principle". Not that I'm defending libertarianism.

Does this writer have children? He seems to assume they are perfectly rational creatures capable of listening to an argument or caution and making an informed decision about whether it is in their best long-term interest or not. :D

While coincidentally libertarians have some positions that line up with Christian positions, the underlying premises of libertarianism are un-Christian and to be rejected by Christians.

I'll never forget a tape I heard of Donald Grey Barnhouse preaching. He said (paraphrasing) "Foolishness is in the heart of a child, and the rod of correction will drive it far from him. ( Proverbs 22:15 )The hoe for the garden, and the hoe handle for the child. If you let your child express himself, you'll get the same results as you would if you let your garden express itself."

My question is whether the Libertarian perspective on spanking is one that can be defended by scripture?

Short answer is no, but I wonder if this is even a common view among Libertarians. Even though they highly exalt personal choice, they still recognize that everyone is still under some kind of law. Why should it be different with children? They can't be entirely "free", there must be some limitations and repercussions for crossing them.

Sounds more like some person's hobby horse than some kind of "non-aggression principle". Not that I'm defending libertarianism.

That's why I disagree with him. He brought up possible arguments that were good and then tore them down (or attempted to) using that weird reasoning.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back