Laymen and church reform?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CGS

Puritan Board Freshman
Is it ever appropriate for a layman to work for reform in his local church? If no, why not? If yes, how does one go about it? For example, how would a layman humbly and charitably suggest to his session that a worship practice might need to be re-evaluated to determine if it adheres to the regulative principle of worship? Is it appropriate to request that the session provide their biblical warrant/justification for said practice?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Enquiring with an open mind to understand is surely fine. But what would “working for reform” look like beyond enquiring?

Is it ever appropriate for a layman to work for reform in his local church? If no, why not? If yes, how does one go about it? For example, how would a layman humbly and charitably suggest to his session that a worship practice might need to be re-evaluated to determine if it adheres to the regulative principle of worship? Is it appropriate to request that the session provide their biblical warrant/justification for said practice?

Thank you!
Without knowing specifics about your situation: what you propose seems reasonable, respectful, and resonant with your general duties as a Christian and member of a particular congregation--assuming that your approach is put in a frame that accommodates those qualities.

You might write a letter to the session requesting a response like the one you outlines, or offer to come to a meeting in order to present your concern or proposal (for improvement or reform if you have such prepared) in person. It may not be the case in every congregation, but I hope that most sessions are open to hearing the thoughts and complaints (as well as the encouragements) of the sheep in their care.

Just like some medical doctors take umbrage that their patients don't automatically defer to their expertise, shut up and listen, and take their medicine as the "wise professional" dispenses it; some pastors and sessions won't listen and may take offense at being "second-guessed" or "doubted" by the untrained and humble pew sitter.

But Balaam should have listened to his ass, and sessions should listen to their fellow men. An inquiry is not the same as a challenge, and disagreement is not the same as disrespect. A husband should listen to his wife, and parents should even listen to their children--especially if they have taught them well!

God has given a family in a child an extra set of eyes and a mind with a fresh perspective, which though it may be simple and not fully prepared for teaching others is not beneath God's ability to use for the good of all. Even so, God has placed gifts among all his people for the good of the church, and the shepherds of the flock should appreciate such a service.

I wouldn't offer any letter or face-to-face counsel without first, midst, and finally employing prayer for the Spirit's lead in your venture. Furthermore, you ought to make it clear you are open to hearing, not merely speaking your mind. Perhaps there are issues you have not considered in your effort for specific reform, and your goals ought maybe to be modified by additional information or input from those you hope to influence.

May God give you grace and an honest audience among your overseers.

If you've just joined a church and are seeking to change its practices, it's not going to turn out well. I've given similar advice here to pastors who have taken a new call. Moreso for a lay person.

Attitude matters a lot. And I don't just mean your attitude when you ask about that particular concern, but the ongoing attitude you display all the time. This is built over the years. There isn't so much a right way to phrase the question as there is a respectful and humble way of life that makes the question easy to ask, and welcomed.

Service to the church also matters. If you have a history of cheerfully supporting the church and being more helpful than critical, even when things aren't always being done the way you would do them, then you will have the ear of leadership. But if you spend most of your time seeking to "bless the church" by pointing out how it needs to reform, you will gain a reputation as a malcontent no matter how right your cause might be.

Attitude matters a lot. And I don't just mean your attitude when you ask about that particular concern, but the ongoing attitude you display all the time. This is built over the years. There isn't so much a right way to phrase the question as there is a respectful and humble way of life that makes the question easy to ask, and welcomed.

Service to the church also matters. If you have a history of cheerfully supporting the church and being more helpful than critical, even when things aren't always being done the way you would do them, then you will have the ear of leadership. But if you spend most of your time seeking to "bless the church" by pointing out how it needs to reform, you will gain a reputation as a malcontent no matter how right your cause might be.

Now I understand where are coming from Jack, and agree with most of what you wrote, but to suggest "service to the church" is a prerequisite to suggest a member bring up a concern is off base In my most humble opinion. I understand in our evangelical culture those who work for the local congregation, as a layman, in some capacity get more of an ear than us who work our rears off the other six days a week at jobs and raising children. I remember one of our Pastors here said the idea of the church "serving" the flock has been almost forgotten. I am sorry if I am coming across as harsh, but I need the Elders and Deacons, more than they need me to help with my spiritual needs.

I has a friend of mine warn me to be careful on how often the church we attend will wear you out, with all the stuff they want you to do besides attend faithfully and support it financially. He grew tired and changed churches because of this. I am sticking it out gratefully, in that I refuse to feel guilty of not participating in the events outside of Sunday "service".

Now if you want to get a great Echocardiogram or a vascular test on your arteries or veins, please allow me to "serve" you. :)

Sorry to go slightly off topic.

Now I understand where are coming from Jack, and agree with most of what you wrote, but to suggest "service to the church" is a prerequisite to suggest a member bring up a concern is off base In my most humble opinion. I understand in our evangelical culture those who work for the local congregation, as a layman, in some capacity get more of an ear than us who work our rears off the other six days a week at jobs and raising children. I remember one of our Pastors here said the idea of the church "serving" the flock has been almost forgotten. I am sorry if I am coming across as harsh, but I need the Elders and Deacons, more than they need me to help with my spiritual needs.

I has a friend of mine warn me to be careful on how often the church we attend will wear you out, with all the stuff they want you to do besides attend faithfully and support it financially. He grew tired and changed churches because of this. I am sticking it out gratefully, in that I refuse to feel guilty of not participating in the events outside of Sunday "service".

Now if you want to get a great Echocardiogram or a vascular test on your arteries or veins, please allow me to "serve" you. :)

Sorry to go slightly off topic.
Well, there are plenty of ways to serve the church (which is serving Christ) without getting involved in weekday events. Personally, I'm seldom at weekday church events—not that my church has many of them anyway.

Sometimes it’s the leaders that don’t have ears to hear. Other times it’s the ones being led. I think Jack does have a point, but I also think that sometimes when folks don’t want to hear something, they may be tempted to find a plausible reason to plug their ears. I’m no exception.

Proverbs 15:31 and Proverbs 18:17 come to mind. Giving and receiving reproof is, at the very least, commended to us, if not commanded of us. May we all have ears to hear.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also agree with Jack's response. Regarding service to the church, that is a broad statement that stretches from the local church to the universal church. I will be praying for your situation.

I also agree with Jack's response. Regarding service to the church, that is a broad statement that stretches from the local church to the universal church. I will be praying for your situation.

I am happy you brought up the "universal church" in aspect to the topic at hand. I am blessed to serve all men as neighbors, which includes many brothers and sisters in Our Lord. Of course my point on serving was in the local church as being a prerequisite for preferential treatment to have a concern addressed. This should have little to no bearing on who gets "served" as long as the member is in good standing. I will for now grant grace to Jack and think charitably to what he wrote. :)

I’m sure that what Jack means is that some seem to do nothing but complain. If someone can’t “serve” in any other way, perhaps he should be known at least as much for encouragement as he is for offering constructive criticism about what is being done or not done in worship or some other aspect of the ministry.

I’m sure that what Jack means is that some seem to do nothing but complain. If someone can’t “serve” in any other way, perhaps he should be known at least as much for encouragement as he is for offering constructive criticism about what is being done or not done in worship or some other aspect of the ministry.
I see this too. If the only time someone speaks to leaders is due to criticism no matter how constructive…

I'm thankful for leaders who are receptive to well founded criticisms. Ministers in my church remind us as a congregation from time to time that doctrinal questions, criticisms and reproof from the word of God are very welcome. I'm also thankful they don't bend to every criticism that is simply a personal preference.

Simply adding my own experience to the mix, whilst having served for some time may not be a "prerequisite" before challenging the leadership, concerns raised will hold a lot more weight if you are a grateful and active member of the church serving in at least some capacity (small or large).

Bear in mind that many ministers have to deal with schismatics who go from church to church taking issue with something or everything in their church.

Speaking as a presbyterian, every member of the congregation has a right/duty to petition the session on any matter. The session has a duty to respond but also a right to rule. If you disagree with their ruling, you can appeal. But all of that should only occur after prayer, study, seeking counsel from others (ideally not in your congregation to avoid dissembling), and informal conversations with the minister and/or elders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back