Kobe Scores 81

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
Kobe Bryant scored 81 points in a 122-104 Laker victory over Toronto, the second-highest individual scoring effort in NBA history after Wilt Chamberlain's 1962 100-point game. :banana::banana::banana:

the NBA standards are really dropping. Imagine the pistons are 33-5, and Kobe, not only scoring 81 points, but scores 50+ points on a regular basis.

I feel sorry for his teammates. Scoring 81 points is incredible and even with Kobe averaging over 30 per game the Lakers are still a mediocre team at best. It seems to me that Kobe and his stats come before winning.

Originally posted by Joseph Ringling
I feel sorry for his teammates. Scoring 81 points is incredible and even with Kobe averaging over 30 per game the Lakers are still a mediocre team at best. It seems to me that Kobe and his stats come before winning.

People say that all the time (the said it about Jordan too) but don't consider that without him putting up those kinds of numbers, they have no chance to win whatsoever. I mean, who else on the team do you want taking those shots? That's the way it's going to be until they get some new players in there. Bryant has certainly done his share of objectionable things, but I don't think this was one of them.

Originally posted by Pilgrim

People say that all the time (the said it about Jordan too) but don't consider that without him putting up those kinds of numbers, they have no chance to win whatsoever. I mean, who else on the team do you want taking those shots? That's the way it's going to be until they get some new players in there. Bryant has certainly done his share of objectionable things, but I don't think this was one of them.

The difference between Kobe and Jordan is that Jordan didn't mind sharing the spotlight if it meant winning more championships. Kobe basically made the Lakers choose between him and Shaq, forcing mangagements hand to trade Shaq. Kobe thought he could win without Shaq. How's that going by the way?:bigsmile:

Originally posted by Pilgrim

The difference between Kobe and Jordan is that Jordan didn't mind sharing the spotlight if it meant winning more championships. Kobe basically made the Lakers choose between him and Shaq, forcing mangagements hand to trade Shaq. Kobe thought he could win without Shaq. How's that going by the way?:bigsmile:

Right or wrong, Jordan never shared the spotlight the way Kobe did with Shaq. Pippen was a complementary player. That was always Jordan's team. I think Kobe has showed signs of maturity this year, of being a leader, etc. And if you want to talk about off the court problems, Jordan had his share earlier in his career, but it is largely forgotten now after the 6 championships.

And I think at least as much blame for the Lakers breakup lies with management as it does with Kobe. If management wanted to bring back Phil and Shaq badly enough, they would have. I think Shaq said he only wanted to stay if Phil did. Also, management calculated that Kobe would be a championship caliber player longer than Shaq. (Had Bryant ended up in prison or signed with the Clippers instead, this would have proved to be even more of a mistake!) Of course Miami made some bad moves in the offseason this year as well. I like Shaq (LSU alum) but I'd say Kobe has at least as good a chance as Shaq of winning another championship. Based on this year, probably moreso.

I think it's ridiculous not to give him his due for scoring 81. The game was in question to the very end, and he wasn't shooting layups over overmatched opponents like Chamberlain did, either. Remember, he scored something like 69 earlier in the year and came out of the game after the third quarter because they were up by 30. The feat is even more remarkable given that oftentimes whole NBA teams don't score 81 points nowadays.

Prince scores 113 points in Murry Bergtraum girls' rout
February 2, 2006 - USAToday.com

NEW YORK (AP) "” Hey Kobe, top this.

Epiphanny Prince of Murry Bergtraum High School scored 113 points in a game Wednesday, breaking a girls' national prep record previously held by Hall of Famer Cheryl Miller.

Prince, a 5-foot-9 senior guard, led her team to a 137-32 victory over Brandeis High School.

"After I scored 29 points in the first quarter, I didn't think much of it," Prince told The Associated Press by phone Wednesday night. "After I had 58 points at the half, and especially after having in the 80s after the third quarter, I just decided to go for it.

"It was efficient," she said. "It wasn't like I missed a whole bunch of shots. That's what made it even better."

Prince, one of the nation's top high school players, is headed to Rutgers next season. Her previous high this season was 51 points for the Lady Blazers, ranked No. 2 in the nation by USA Today. (Related item: USA TODAY girls' Super 25 rankings)

"At the half, we thought she had a chance to break the record so we just let her go," coach Ed Grezinsky said.

Miller scored 105 points for Riverside Poly in California against Riverside Norte Vista in 1982. She went on to become an All-American at USC.

Two-time WNBA MVP Lisa Leslie scored 101 points in a half for Morningside High School in Inglewood, Calif., against South Torrance in 1990. South Torrance refused to play the second half.

"It's an amazing thing when an individual does that," NBA star LeBron James said when told about Prince's performance. "I don't know who she is, but maybe we'll see her in the WNBA. For that matter, the NBA."

The boys' high school record is 135 points set by Danny Heater of Burnsville High School in West Virginia in 1960, according to the National High School Sports Record Book on the National Federation of State High School Associations' website.

Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant scored 81 points against the Toronto Raptors on Jan. 22, the second-highest total in NBA history. The league record is 100 points by Wilt Chamberlain on March 2, 1962.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back