Nike using Kobe Bryant again

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReformedWretch

Puritan Board Doctor
Kobe Bryant Resumes Endorsement Career
By The Associated Press

4 hours ago

Los Angeles Lakers' Kobe Bryant waits for a teammate ...

DENVER - Nike is using photos of Kobe Bryant for the first time since his arrest two years ago for an alleged assault on a female employee at a Colorado resort.

"Nike agrees with most NBA observers that Kobe ranks among the very best players in the NBA, and his training and preparation are key elements of his game," said Nike spokesman Rodney Knox.

The ads appear in Sports Illustrated, and are the first to use Bryant's image. His name appeared in an ad earlier this year.

Prosecutors dismissed a rape charge against Bryant last September after his alleged victim refused to go ahead with the case. Bryant publicly apologized to her without admitting any guilt.

A civil suit filed by the alleged victim against Bryant was settled out of court. Its details were not released.

Bryant had signed a $45 million deal with Nike shortly before his arrest. McDonald's and Nutella both dropped Bryant from their roster of celebrity endorsers after his arrest.

Cynthia Stone, spokeswoman for the Colorado Coalition Against Sexual Assault, criticized Nike's decision.

"Corporations like Nike play a huge part in creating role models for millions of young athletes," she said. "It would be a great inspiration to those young people if the endorsers were not only accomplished athletes, but also had a reputation for positive and ethical conduct."

Originally posted by houseparent
Prosecutors dismissed a rape charge against Bryant last September after his alleged victim refused to go ahead with the case. Bryant publicly apologized to her without admitting any guilt.

A civil suit filed by the alleged victim against Bryant was settled out of court. Its details were not released.

When I hear of celebrities settling a case out of court, my first thought is that it is an admission of guilt, without them being officially declared guilty by the courts. Maybe, though, he's innocent and it was just an expedient thing for him to settle this way and put it all behind him. I wonder.

Settling out of court is a judicial strategy that lawyers pursue on behalf of their clients. Lawyers plainly tell their clients, (those accused etc), to try not let this case go to court. Nothing is guilt or innocency is discuused, just the weighing of the likelyhood of whether one could win or one cannot win, do you want to spend the resources etc. Pure strategy. Nothing to do with the truth and justice of the matter.

Originally posted by Slippery
Settling out of court is a judicial strategy that lawyers pursue on behalf of their clients. Lawyers plainly tell their clients, (those accused etc), to try not let this case go to court. Nothing is guilt or innocency is discuused, just the weighing of the likelyhood of whether one could win or one cannot win, do you want to spend the resources etc. Pure strategy. Nothing to do with the truth and justice of the matter.

I know. And that is precisely what makes me sick about our system.

Heh... i think it is deliberate and telling that the winner is declared 'Not Guilty' as opposed to 'Innocent'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back