Just have to say as a Michigan football fan...

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Dean

Puritan Board Junior
...that yesterday's ruling on Tressel was just.

I don't say that out of glee or sadism; I actually admired Tressel, believing he was a good man of character. But now that this has all come out, I've lost a lot of respect for the man.

He professes Christianity, and I hope he's truly numbered among the elect, but his fruits aren't lining up with his profession, and at the very least it hurts his testimony.

I pray that he will repent and that God will work a work of repentance in him.

That all being said, I look forward to a good season of Michigan football.

Go Blue!!

Still ain't going to help us beat them...

I thought everyone from Flint cheered by the banks of the red cedar :lol:

Haven't gone back since the Toledo fiasco. Not taking the 10-hour round trip by car to watch that happen.

It was bad enough under Lllllloyd.

Still ain't going to help us beat them...

I thought everyone from Flint cheered by the banks of the red cedar :lol:

Haven't gone back since the Toledo fiasco. Not taking the 10-hour round trip by car to watch that happen.

It was bad enough under Lllllloyd.

Hang in there. I think Hoke is showing some good stuff in his recruiting.

He professes Christianity, and I hope he's truly numbered among the elect, but his fruits aren't lining up with his profession, and at the very least it hurts his testimony.

Really? Barry Switzer pointed out yesterday that Tressel did not cheat in any way. He did not make his team better. He did not recruit illegally. He simply looked the other way when his boys were strapped for cash and used their fame to pay the bills. Was it against the rules? Sure. But I am not seeing how his actions should cause us to doubt the validity of his testimony.

So many gray areas when you want to coach at the top of the game, as Barry would know...

Should be fun when tOSU visits TTUN.

Nice schedule this year, Prime Time hosting the Irish, and Nebraska and Ohio State back to back.

Those 3 will go for $350 a pop minimum, along with the 5 cupcakes maulings I don't want to see.

(Or what we took for granted as cupcake maulings in the 70s, 80s and 90s...)

Really? Barry Switzer pointed out yesterday that Tressel did not cheat in any way. He did not make his team better. He did not recruit illegally. He simply looked the other way when his boys were strapped for cash and used their fame to pay the bills. Was it against the rules? Sure. But I am not seeing how his actions should cause us to doubt the validity of his testimony.
It's rulebreaking, plain and simple. And at the very least it doesn't bode well for his testimony.

Just like when Rich Rod broke the rules about practice time, it doesn't make you look good.

Here's a timeline of the events in relation to Tressel (WARNING: some rough language might follow after the initial post): Scout.com: Sweater Vest Time Line - LONG...

Boliver,
If I understand the details correctly, the issue is not so much the activities of the players (which did break NCAA rules); rather, when he was asked if he had knowledge of the transactions he denied it (in writing). Later evidence (emails, I think) show that he was, in fact, aware of them. I may be wrong, but I think that's it!

Boliver,
If I understand the details correctly, the issue is not so much the activities of the players (which did break NCAA rules); rather, when he was asked if he had knowledge of the transactions he denied it (in writing). Later evidence (emails, I think) show that he was, in fact, aware of them. I may be wrong, but I think that's it!

You are correct. He knew what was going on, but did nothing about it. When asked about it, he lied.

So if what he did can be summarized as:

1. He did not report sinful activity

and

2. He lied

and this should somehow cause us to question the validity of his testimony, then we should question the validity of everyone's testimony on this board. I am sure that all of us have looked the other way at times and have lied numerous times.

I think the players should be allowed to sell any of their own personal belongings that they want. Stupid, stupid rule.

You are correct. He knew what was going on, but did nothing about it. When asked about it, he lied.

So if what he did can be summarized as:

1. He did not report sinful activity

and

2. He lied

and this should somehow cause us to question the validity of his testimony, then we should question the validity of everyone's testimony on this board. I am sure that all of us have looked the other way at times and have lied numerous times.

I am more concerned with the failure to repent of the sin than I am with the sin, per se. I pray that he will, in fact, repent and that his repentance will be as well-publicized as his sin.

I think the players should be allowed to sell any of their own personal belongings that they want. Stupid, stupid rule.

I agree.

I don't justify or excuse what Tressel did, which seems foolish to me at best. When I heard the initial reports, I figured he'd be fired immediately and didn't see how he could keep his job. You can't sit in a kid's living room and tell his parents that your program is run with integrity after that. I haven't followed the developments after the initial reports, but I agree that some public statement of repentance appears to be due.

The hypocrisy of the NCAA and the college presidents is astounding. They rake in the millions while many of the players will never see a dime from football or any other sport. They do have the scholarship, but it seems to me that is still not enough in this day of massive TV revenues. Back in the golden days of the student athlete, you didn't have that kind of disparity. Even in the Olympics they don't have to be amateurs anymore. I don't know what the solution is, but there is definitely a problem.

Former LSU basketball coach Dale Brown pointed out the problem about 25 years ago. I think he said he couldn't even buy lunch for one of his players. No wrongdoing was ever proved with Brown. But they finally got a former player of his later in his career to testify to what they wanted. The player was granted immunity. Brown was forced to resign and the program was saddled with harsh sanctions for several years even though they were cleared of any major violations. Then about 10 years later the player issued a public apology when he had nothing to gain by it but a clean conscience.

In the aftermatch of Jim Tressel’s forced resignation today, Tressel’s replacement for the 2011 season, Luke Fickell, called a team meeting on Monday evening in Columbus.

During WBNS-TV reporter Dan Fronczak’s live standup outside the site of the meeting, the Columbus television station aired video of Terrelle Pryor arriving at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center for the all-hands gathering of Buckeye football players.

Part of that footage showed Pryor driving a late model vehicle outfitted with a temporary tag dated May 24. Here is a photo of the car, which is a 2007 Nissan 350Z.

Is this the greatest or what...

Except that what happens is people will pay 100x more than what their belonging costs. They do this to help out players and entice players to come to their university. If people know that if they go to XYZ university and get paid six figures vs. going to ABC university and not get paid six figures, they are going to attend XYZ. Buying their belongings becomes a recruiting tool. This is why the rule exists.

Sure. But I am not seeing how his actions should cause us to doubt the validity of his testimony.

It is my understanding that he signed false compliance statements after he had notice of the problem.

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

GO DAWGS!!

Georgia has one player sell an item to a friend, and they end up losing half a season. Let's see if the NCAA will do anything when it is systemic.

It is my understanding that he signed false compliance statements after he had notice of the problem.

I understand this, but I still fail to see how this should cause us to doubt his profession of faith. Everyone on this board has lied in their life.

If they bust tOSU for this then they need to bust every SEC program not named "Vanderbilt".

This kind of thing is systemic all across D-IA college football. tOSU just made the mistake of getting caught.

I understand this, but I still fail to see how this should cause us to doubt his profession of faith. Everyone on this board has lied in their life.

As I suggested earlier, it is not the issue of the sin - yes, we all stand guilty; it is the issue of persisting in an unrepentant state that is troublesome.

I take no comfort from college football coaches professing their alleged faith publicly, nor politicians or pop stars or basically anybody famous.

[Unless they were famous in Geneva in the 1500s... ]

It's sort of like those folks who put fish on their ads or a Bible verse on their letterhead. Folks that hide behind a claimed faith to get a business advantage are folks I tend not to trust. And when they are caught at it, I doubt ALL of their profession. He's a Christian? Let's see less speaking from him, and more action.

As I suggested earlier, it is not the issue of the sin - yes, we all stand guilty; it is the issue of persisting in an unrepentant state that is troublesome.

Piper unrepentantly breaks the 2nd commandment. Should we doubt his salvation because of this?

Folks that hide behind a claimed faith to get a business advantage are folks I tend not to trust.

Did Tressel gain advantage by claiming to be a Christian?

Piper unrepentantly breaks the 2nd commandment. Should we doubt his salvation because of this?

Do you believe that Piper believes he is sinning by breaking the 2nd commandment? Or do you think that he is acting in accordance with his (admittedly wrong) conviction regarding it?
Do you think that there is such ambiguity with regard to the sinfulness of declaring "I did not know" when I did - and then persisting in that lie until it is exposed?
These are not equivalent.
While all sin is culpable, surely we cannot equate the act of one who has (presumably) prayerfully exegeted God's Word to discern what God requires (again, even though he reaches an unbiblical conclusion) with one who does that which is pretty universally known to be sin (by those who admit to the premise of "sin"). One thinks that he is not sinning; the other knows that he is.
And, for the record, I am not saying that we should "doubt his (Tressel's) salvation." I am simply pointing out the severity of the offense that you seem to be mitigating.

It hurts his testimony, which is my main point. I prefaced this by saying that "he professes Christianity" because in all honesty I simply don't know whether he is elect or not. Football rivalry aside, I hope he is a Christian, and not just somebody who talks about it.

And yes, I've lied before too. But it doesn't make it right, and it's not a good witness to unbelievers.

Did Tressel gain advantage by claiming to be a Christian?

Sure he did. Lots of mamas want their boys to go to a school where the coach is perceived to be a good Christian influence (even some of the Muslim ones would rather have their children under than perceived influence instead of one of the well known thugocracies)

It hurts his testimony, which is my main point.

If this was your main point, then we are on the same page. I thought you were casting down on his salvation because of these sins. If this was not the case, I apologize for reading into it.

And, for the record, I am not saying that we should "doubt his (Tressel's) salvation." I am simply pointing out the severity of the offense that you seem to be mitigating.

I am not attempting to mitigate the sins. I think they are great. When I read the OP, I received the impression that he was doubting the professed salvation of Tressel because of his unrepentant actions. In my mind I do not see the need to doubt it.

Sure he did. Lots of mamas want their boys to go to a school where the coach is perceived to be a good Christian influence (even some of the Muslim ones would rather have their children under than perceived influence instead of one of the well known thugocracies)

Never thought of it this way. Good to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back