John Jewel on the lawfulness of Bible translations

Status
Not open for further replies.
What translation are they preaching from?
If not from the original languages, then from a translation that has the approval of its elders. Some Churches/denominations may leave that up to a session/consistory and some may choose to do so at a higher level. But why wouldn't the elders do this for their flock? How could it not but help the cause of Christ to identify which translation(-s) the elders find most faithful?

If not from the original languages, then from a translation that has the approval of its elders. Some Churches/denominations may leave that up to a session/consistory and some may choose to do so at a higher level. But why wouldn't the elders do this for their flock? How could it not but help the cause of Christ to identify which translation(-s) the elders find most faithful?
If some session were to choose the NIV over the KJV, would you support that decision?

If some session were to choose the NIV over the KJV, would you support that decision?
I feel like you've already asked me this: https://www.puritanboard.com/threads/authorized-mark-ward.110726/post-1333151

If it was in the session's power to do this (i.e. the synod or GA had given that power to the sessions under them), then, yes.

EDIT: Just to clarify - I assume you are talking about submitting to the decision of the session that was over me. If it was a session other than mine, then, no. If it was my session, I'm not sure "support" is the right word. I would petition them to reconsider and appeal if necessary (I consider the NIV to be a paraphrase, not a faithful translation).

Last edited:
I feel like you've already asked me this: https://www.puritanboard.com/threads/authorized-mark-ward.110726/post-1333151

If it was in the session's power to do this (i.e. the synod or GA had given that power to the sessions under them), then, yes.

EDIT: Just to clarify - I assume you are talking about submitting to the decision of the session that was over me. If it was a session other than mine, then, no. If it was my session, I'm not sure "support" is the right word. I would petition them to reconsider and appeal if necessary (I consider the NIV to be a paraphrase, not a faithful translation).
So, in other words, no.

So, in other words, no.
I believe in presbyterian government. If I appealed as far as I could and was told I must submit to the session's use of the NIV, I would. I once appealed a separate issue in this manner, was ruled against at the highest court available to me, and submitted. So, in other words, please appreciate that there are not always simple yes/no answers, and impugning people's motives is pretty uncharitable.

I believe in presbyterian government. If I appealed as far as I could and was told I must submit to the session's use of the NIV, I would. I once appealed a separate issue in this manner, was ruled against at the highest court available to me, and submitted. So, in other words, please appreciate that there are not always simple yes/no answers, and impugning people's motives is pretty uncharitable.
The question was "would you support that decision".

It's pretty clear that you would not support it, based on your own words. I'm not impugning anything. You would submit after exhausting every possible avenue of appeal in protest. That's not quite the same as "support".

The question was "would you support that decision".

It's pretty clear that you would not support it, based on your own words. I'm not impugning anything. You would submit after exhausting every possible avenue of appeal in protest. That's not quite the same as "support".
Fair enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back