J.C .Philpot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayflower

Puritan Board Junior
Are there here members who reads his sermons from this strict baptist preacher ? Here in the Netherlands among the orthodox reformed believers they like to read him, and alot of sermons has been transelated into Dutch.

J.C. Philpot :
"Man's religion is to build up the creature.
God's religion is throw the creature down in the
dust of self-abasement, and to glorify Christ."

"If we can throw any light on the word of truth, if we can enable our readers more clearly to understand, more firmly to believe, and more experimentally to feel the power of what God has revealed in the Scriptures for their instruction, edification, and consolation, that will be our chief reward, as, we hope, it is our chief aim."

http://www.gracegems.org/SERMONS2/Philpot.htm

At reformationheritage books, the books are tretty cheap.
http://www.heritagebooks.org/browse.asp?fname=J.C.&lname=Philpot

Originally posted by Mayflower
Are there here members who reads his sermons from this strict baptist preacher ? Here in the Netherlands among the orthodox reformed believers they like to read him, and alot of sermons has been transelated into Dutch.

While Philpot is an experimental Calvinist, and should be read as such, he is aslo a hyper-Calvinist when it comes to the offer of the gospel. I have 12 volumes of his thoughtful sermons, but have not read a single sermon where he commands faith and repentance as the obligation of the hearer based on the objective promises of the gospel. His language is stilted when he applies the action portion of the sermon. I know here in Canada, the Netherlands Reformed Church read and quote him often. Sadly, in many of their sermons as well, the sinner will be left thirsty of the wellspring of life.
Sad indeed.

Kind regards,

Rev. J. Lewis
Vancouver BC, Canada

Originally posted by JOwen

While Philpot is an experimental Calvinist, and should be read as such, he is aslo a hyper-Calvinist when it comes to the offer of the gospel. I have 12 volumes of his thoughtful sermons, but have not read a single sermon where he commands faith and repentance as the obligation of the hearer based on the objective promises of the gospel. His language is stilted when he applies the action portion of the sermon. I know here in Canada, the Netherlands Reformed Church read and quote him often. Sadly, in many of their sermons as well, the sinner will be left thirsty of the wellspring of life.
Sad indeed.

Kind regards,

Rev. J. Lewis
Vancouver BC, Canada

Dear Rev. J. Lewis,

Thanks for your reley. But did you something from his sermons, and are they worthy to read ?

Sad indeed.

Kind regards,

Rev. J. Lewis
Vancouver BC, Canada

Dear Rev. J. Lewis,

Thanks for your reley. But did you something from his sermons, and are they worthy to read ?

Yes, I read him often on a devotional level. He often stimulates my thinking in warm, heartfelt ways.:book2:

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
I just got the 14 volumes of Philpot's sermons in electronic form on the EPP. I look forward to reading them.

Dear Andrew,

Can you please let me know what you think about it ?

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
I just got the 14 volumes of Philpot's sermons in electronic form on the EPP. I look forward to reading them.

Dear Andrew,

Can you please let me know what you think about it ?

It may take a while, but I'll be glad to give you my thoughts after I read them.

Sad indeed.

Kind regards,

Rev. J. Lewis
Vancouver BC, Canada

This kind of sounds like neonomianism Rev Lewis. ?

Originally posted by Peter

Sad indeed.

Kind regards,

Rev. J. Lewis
Vancouver BC, Canada

How so brother?

Sad indeed.

Kind regards,

Rev. J. Lewis
Vancouver BC, Canada

How so brother?

Forgive me if I have misunderstood you, but it seems your objection to this man is that he does not add conditions to appropriating the word

Sad indeed.

Kind regards,

Rev. J. Lewis
Vancouver BC, Canada

How so brother?

Forgive me if I have misunderstood you, but it seems your objection to this man is that he does not add conditions to appropriating the word

Yes, I agree. In this way, neonomianism would be an aplicable atribute of Philpot.

Kind regards,

Jerrold

Sad indeed.

Kind regards,

Rev. J. Lewis
Vancouver BC, Canada

How so brother?

Yes, I agree. In this way, neonomianism would be an aplicable atribute of Philpot.

Kind regards,

Jerrold

Dear Peter and JOwen,

Can you please explain me more indept what you mean ? Iam asking this because i like to know more about the teachings of Philpot.

Oh, must have misread your original post, Philpot imposes requirements on the gospel?

Ralph, sorry I'm a little confused here too, and before you posted this topic I didnt even know who Philpot was.

Oh, must have misread your original post, Philpot imposes requirements on the gospel?

The only requirements are "repent and believe". This is the duty of all who hear the gospel message. We both know that this condition can only be given by the regenerating power of the Holy Spirit, yet the preaching is to be delivered in such away that the calls for repentance and faith are given. Philopt withholds this.

Kind regards,

Jerrold Lewis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back