It has been proven: VIRGINIA IS NOT A PART OF THE SOUTH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not a lincoln lover. I just have some appreciation for.

I was watching God's and Generals last night, and the comment was made. We laughed. NOTE: I am in Jackson, MS.

Originally posted by turmeric
I don't get it - maybe because I'm a Yankee.:banana:

All the more reason to get it. See Puritanhead is from Virginia, and many hardcore 'southerners' are from Virginia. To say they are not from the south, seemingly implies they are from the north or 'in their minds' Sheol. They don't like that. So since they are still hung up on this north/south thing even though it was 150 yrs ago and we are still a union...therefore I find it funny to post what I posted. As you tumeric, we who are from 'the north/yankees' never really talk about being 'yankees or from the north', but it is only when I travelled and live here in Jackson, MS that I hear about it all the time. Not that I am necessarily a Yankee but conversations about the south, north, etc. .........I'm done now...haha.

Originally posted by Ivan
I have often wondered what Lee would think if he saw his old homestead these days.

Actually, us real Virginians from the Shenandoah to the southside, do characterize Northern Virginia as occupied Virginia in tongue-in-cheek fashion, as well as the Tidewater region of Hampton Roads. Those regions are full of urbanites, cosmopolitans, yankees city slickers, government bureaucrats, foreigners, and almost all are liberals... Alexandria is like 99% Liberal Democrat... They are not usually REAL VIRGINIANS or REAL SOUTHERNERS. Many are expatriates from other states, particularly northern ones. They keep treading on the Manassas battlefield with urban sprawl.

Incidentally, one blogger started a Northern Virginiastan thread to document the Muslim scourge afflicting Virginia... might as well, as Northern Virginia is being bought up by Arab oil tycoons while sleeper cells from Al-Qaeda bed down miles from Dulles. Lord help us real Virginians from the Muslim menace!

As Jefferson said, "The mobs of great cities add just so much to support of pure government as sores do to the strength of the human body." The same can be said of how northern Virginia, Richmond, and Hampton Roads butress the body politic of my beloved Commonwealth of Virginia.

va_state_seal.gif

So Lee wasn't part of the real Virginia?

I think where Lee lived looks pretty good this time of year (Arlington National Cemetary).

What do you mean us Yankees don't talk about the North South thing? I know a lot of people up here who do. And the fruit of the Union is bringing up the causes of the South and making them fresh again.

Originally posted by Romans922
So Lee wasn't part of the real Virginia?

I think where Lee lived looks pretty good this time of year (Arlington National Cemetary).

No-- my point was that the character of northern Virginia has dramatically changed since Lee's time... Duh!

Lee was a real Virginian if there ever was one.

So since they are still hung up on this north/south thing even though it was 150 yrs ago and we are still a union...therefore I find it funny to post what I posted.

Yeah-- Yeah-- I always heard from northerners in college say how we're "hung up" or obsessed with the late War Between the States, even though they are the ones constantly bring it up in conversation, and we were perfectly content to keep such discussions among ourselves. They would joke about Sherman's march to the sea.

You've got a case of foot-in-mouth disease, as you seem to obsess with getting digs and insults at us southern partisans. Tu que que!
:p

[Edited on 3-5-2006 by Puritanhead]

Originally posted by Puritanhead
So since they are still hung up on this north/south thing even though it was 150 yrs ago and we are still a union...therefore I find it funny to post what I posted.

Yeah-- Yeah-- I always heard from northerners in college how we're "hung up" or obsessed with the late War Between the States, even though they are the ones constantly bring it up in conversation, and we were perfectly content to keep such discussions among ourselves. They would joke about Sherman's march to the sea.

You've got a case of foot-in-mouth disease, as you seem to obsess with getting digs and insults at us southern partisans. Tu que que!
:p

I can hardly see how this is the case but maybe they do, I don't really. I just did it here because I was watching Gods and Generals and my friend (who is from the south) told me to.

Depends on where you and your parents grew up, I would assume

I would have no idea where and it would be my great, great great, great, great (and maybe more great) grandparents who came to Virginia from Ireland...sometime in the mid to late 1600's.

I like people/things that came from Scotland. I like John Witherspoon too, he was pretty cool.

I like people/things that came from Scotland. I like John Witherspoon too, he was pretty cool.
But he had that silly flesh covering from head to toe...

Originally posted by Draught Horse

Really? Cool.

Well he was the only presbyterian/clergyman to sign the declaration of independence.

He also was one of the great presidents of Princeton.

And he was all about the common sense realism.

[Edited on 3-6-2006 by Romans922]

Originally posted by Draught Horse

Really? Cool.

Well he was the only presbyterian/clergyman to sign the declaration of independence.

He also was one of the great presidents of Princeton.

And he was all about the common sense realism.

[Edited on 3-6-2006 by Romans922]

Have you read his stirring speech he gave to rally the men, men who were faltering in their courage, to sign it? If not, I will try to find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back