Is this the Pilgrim's regress being taught?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuritanCovenanter

The Joyful Curmudgeon
Staff member
I just read this blog.
The Pitfall Of Perfectionism – Tullian Tchividjian

This was referenced on Facebookand it totally shocked me.

Christian, please remember that Jesus plus nothing equals everything. That,

Because Jesus was strong for you, you’re free to be weak;

Because Jesus won for you, you’re free to lose;

Because Jesus was Someone, you’re free to be no one;

Because Jesus was extraordinary, you’re free to be ordinary;

Because Jesus succeeded for you, you’re free to fail.

This is antinomianism at it's best. I understand the pain of not living up to Christ and His expectations. This was meant to comfort people who are struggling. But it isn't biblical in the least.

Let me set the field up and show you the situation.

Someone commits suicide and the author is speculating this person who had a strong testimony for Christ became despondent because they couldn't live the life. This is assumed by the author first off because he doesn't say that that is the reason the girl gave for her suicide. At least the blog doesn't say that is the revealed reason.

The next person wants to leave his wife because he is tired of living up to others expectations. He is tired of living or pursuing holiness in his life.

The third person in the blog referenced is desiring prayer because he feels like God has abandoned him.

After the three situations are placed in front of us the assumption is that Perfectionism is the problem. The blogger states that most Christians would say that they should try harder. Others would try to help them trace their despair back to some unconfessed sin in their lives–drawing a straight line between their spiritual depression and their spiritual failure. And still others would tell them to have faith.

Then the author concludes:
But what would Jesus have told them? We don’t have to guess: “Come to me, all you who are weary and heavy burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light” (Matthew 11:28-30).

Perfectionism (or performancism) is a horrible disease. It comes from the pit of hell, smelling like rotting flesh. Someone convinced these folks that they were called to measure up to an unattainable standard. They couldn’t do it and each in his or her own way simply quit trying.

Nobody told them that Jesus was perfect for them, and because of that they didn’t have to be perfect for themselves. They didn’t understand that if Jesus makes you free, you will be free indeed.

Christian, please remember that Jesus plus nothing equals everything. That,

This is some of the worst stuff I have seen on a blog by a supposedly confessional Pastor. I agree perfectionism is bad but I am not free to be a no one. I am called to be something and for a purpose. I am not called to be ordinary but a part of a peculiar people. I am not free to fail. I am called to be conformed to the image of Christ.

Jesus did tell one woman to go and sin no more. Jesus did talk about repentance and living right before God and man. St. Paul said he strove to live with a right conscience before God and man. This bit of advice from this Pastor is shocking to me and sounds more like an antinomian fundamentalist Pastor than a Biblically Solid Pastor of the Word of God.

Please, Please, Please, understand that I am not a perfect person. I struggle with Sin and do not believe anyone can be perfect. But I believe the advice of this Pastor is very dangerous and hurts the Body of Christ. It does not shed light on what Grace is and it does not reveal the will of God and the beauty of it.

I understand the need to combat Perfectionism as did J. C. Ryle and many other good men of God. But this is an over reaction and very unbiblical.

Did you say something (or would you be able to) to the original poster in order to make sure that wasn't what he was getting at?

Admittedly, and I may be being a bit overly judicious here, but things written don't always convey the complete intended sentiment.

And for the record, you're right: perfectionism is impossible. But Antinomianism is destructive.

Read the blog..... It is short. He put it out there for public consumption.

It just sounds like a spirit of antinomianism of has been resurrected. One radio talk show ministry use to promote this same kind of thinking by saying, "God isn't concerned about your habitual sin. He is only concerned that you see that you are in a state of grace and you only need to rest because you are in Christ. You are free! If Christ has set you free, you are free indeed."

Now I am pretty sure Pastor Tullian wouldn't go that far and say that God isn't concerned about habitual sin. At least I would hope not. And maybe he is being hyperbolic in this blog. But he is being dangerously hyperbolic if he is.

I am adding this as an addition and more thought after I commented last.

The blog post as a stand alone and the comment...

... is very false. Especially the part about being free to fail. We are set justified and can't earn our salvation but we have never ever been given the permission in freedom to fail. We have never been given permission to lose. And the weakness comment Paul makes in 2 Corinthians 12:9 is not related to our sinning but a weakness in infirmities and not iniquities. To much is wrong contextually with all of this.

Last edited:

I would think Tullian is trying to say we don't have to be the star player, we don't have to be this corporate mogul,etc.... our identity is in Christ and that is where we find our worth not in our accomplishments, but in His. Maybe I am wrong but that is how I would understand it.

As always, the problem with man is his own sin. Obviously none of us are perfect and we never will be, but we should always strive to be more like Christ everyday even though we will fail miserably. As Paul said in Romans 6:1-14

1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? 2 Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it? 3 Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? 4 Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5 For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection, 6 knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin. 7 For he who has died has been freed from sin. 8 Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, 9 knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more. Death no longer has dominion over Him. 10 For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. 11 Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts. 13 And do not present your members as instruments of unrighteousness to sin, but present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. 14 For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under grace.

Last edited:

I would think Tullian is trying to say we don't have to be the star player, we don't have to be this corporate mogul,etc.... our identity is in Christ and that is where we find our worth not in our accomplishments, but in His. Maybe I am wrong but that is how I would understand it.

If Tullian was truly promoting antinomianism, he'd be saying "Because Christ paid for your sin, you're free to sin." He (and the blogger I don't think) is NOT saying that. If you look at all the things that are in the list, NONE says "you can sin all you want as long as you're in a state of grace."

In addition, Randy, the "do more, try harder" mentality IS rampant in the church, and IS a problem. In some churches, admittedly this is not the problem - but is it not possible to imagine a situation in which it was, a situation into which Tullian might be speaking?

I am discussing this somewhere else also. Here are a few more of my thoughts.

The first example is purely assumption. Their is no reason given for the girls suicide. It may have been a mental laps. A medical condition or some other situation that caused despair. It might not have even been related to some view of perfectionism. But the possibility is there. The second about wanting a divorce was not something about perfectionism even though the gentleman justified his desire for that reason. I have seen a lot of divorce in the Church and I can't say that perfectionism was ever a reason for it. That is laughable. The third example I see as being plausible. Especially if one is involved with
Wesleyan Perfectionism.

But to tell someone they are free to fail and free to be weak (ie sinful, at least that is how I am taking the implication of weakness) is so unbiblical that we shouldn't even have to have this discussion. Can you show me where in the Scriptures where it is true that we are free to fail or be weak (sinful)? Can you tell me that 2 Cor 12:9 is implying iniquity instead of infirmity? In the context of weakness wouldn't you say that this is gross eisegesis. Where in the scriptures are we told we are free to fail or be weak in a sinful way? Is this not dangerous?

Yes, we should comfort each other knowing we have an advocate with the Father. But this man is a Pastor and shouldn't be so sloppy with his counsel. Perfectionism is easy to deal with in my estimation without stooping to this level or kind of counsel, especially if one looks at Romans 7. But to do it by declaring the freedom that is being promoted here is not the way to do it Pastorally nor from a biblical perspective.

What is meant by weakness, I am most certain, is NOT sinful. I don't know how you could thrust that interpretation onto those words unless somehow you were predisposed to hear it that way.

What I am sure is meant is that you are free not to have to achieve personal righteousness sufficient for salvation on your own doing. You are free to fail when trying to uphold the standard of righteousness set before you - why? because you are complete in Christ. Hence we aim to please our Lord - but knowing all the while that our strength is in the Lord as Paul says repeatedly. The weakness Paul speaks of in 2 Cor 12 IS frailty of flesh, not impiety or iniquity! I really don't understand where the "weakness = habitual sin and sinfulness" is coming from, Randy. I don't get it.

I don't think Pastor Tullian would go so far as to say that God isn't concerned about habitual sin. But I do believe he can thoroughly be misinterpreted.

What is the context he is stating we are free to be in Todd? I understand he is trying to combat perfectionism. I am also linking his comments to sinful behavior (iniquity and not infirmity). At least that is what I am pulling from his three examples Todd.

Free to be (whatever) in the context of what he wrote had to do with sinful behavior. It wasn't my wording. I was just quoting what he said and in context with what he said. Free to fail is what he quoted and wrote. Free Indeed. Yes, I believe that Jesus said the Truth would make us free but I don't necessarily believe Jesus meant it the way it is being presented here. Yes, we are free from guilt and sin but we are not free to fail. And that is something totally different and can be taken differently even if he meant to speak about freedom correctly. Free to Fail were the words in the blog.

I think everything that you quoted, at least, is spot on. I think the words are true and comforting. I am free to be weak because nothing depends upon my strength. Sure, this is un-American, but it is not un-biblical. He is strong in our weakness. And it is definitely true that the Gospel, plus anything, is NOT the Gospel.

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

Yes, we are free from guilt and sin but we are not free to fail. And that is something totally different and can be taken differently even if he meant to speak about freedom correctly. Free to Fail were the words in the blog.

We are certainly free to fail! Christ never calls us to succeed or be successful! We are called to live for him and do all for him, but if I, even in all my trying, fail an endeavor, that is not a spiritual failure.

Randy,

In some ways, there is really nothing wrong with this post, especially if it were made more clear that it is basically aimed at people who do not understand the gospel and who trust in their own efforts. (In other words, people who are probably not saved.) That being said, as a general pattern it appears to me that the issue here is closely related to the Frank Turk vs. White Horse Inn thread from a few months ago.

I haven't read everything Tullian posts. I like a lot of what he posts and think his ministry at Coral Ridge is likely a healthy corrective to what could be called the excessive flag waving that characterized the place in recent decades. I've seen him affirm the third use of the law but haven't seen a post in which it was applied. (Maybe I've missed something as I've read a lot more of his tweets than blog posts and haven't listened to any sermons.) Instead, it's a steady stream of this kind of stuff posted to twitter, etc. No doubt it is in reaction to various forms of legalism and the kind of performance based religion that characterizes much of professing Christianity in the USA. But there is a danger in over correcting and putting the car into the opposite ditch.

I don't see much real difference between this and the milder form of the old Dallas Seminary "free grace" teaching (i.e. Ryrie and Lightner as opposed to Hodges, who eventually moved into outright heresy.) True, they don't teach the Carnal Christian doctrine. But from what I've seen, the view of assurance that you are questioning here is barely any different. Thus the antinomian whiff in the air. There is doctrinal antinomianism and there is practical antinomianism.

Are we "free" to build with wood, hay and stubble? Yes, but if we do, our work will be burned up and we will be saved yet so as by fire. On the other hand, "If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward." We are not saved by our performance, but it does nevertheless have eternal consequences.

As you note, Randy, large doses of Ryle, Bunyan, etc are needed here. As Ryle notes in Holiness, you have both the indicative and the imperative in Paul's epistles in particular. Legalism and moralism are all imperative and no indicative. With some contemporary teachers it seems that all we get is the indicative. We need both.

Edit: Now I see he was quoting Steve Brown. (I wonder if that was the radio ministry you had in mind.) Near as I can tell, Tullian wrote "Because Jesus was strong for you" part.

Last edited:
We must consider the pastoral situation...

It seems Pastor Tchividjian is speaking to people who're feeling pressure to measure up and to somehow prove themselves worthy of God's favor, or worthy of respect within the church. Such people need to hear exactly what he wrote. Those are good words to them. Start adding on a bunch of qualifiers and they'll just fall back into trying to prove themselves.

Now if he were pastoring people who're looking for a free ride and trying to avoid having to obey Christ, then that's a different pastoral situation and he would have to give important qualifiers to what he wrote. So if you come at this from the perspective of "how might an antinomian take this?" then, yes, qualifiers are needed. But I think it's clear he isn't addressing people with that particular pattern of sin.

We must consider the pastoral situation...

It seems Pastor Tchividjian is speaking to people who're feeling pressure to measure up and to somehow prove themselves worthy of God's favor, or worthy of respect within the church. Such people need to hear exactly what he wrote. Those are good words to them. Start adding on a bunch of qualifiers and they'll just fall back into trying to prove themselves.

Now if he were pastoring people who're looking for a free ride and trying to avoid having to obey Christ, then that's a different pastoral situation and he would have to give important qualifiers to what he wrote. So if you come at this from the perspective of "how might an antinomian take this?" then, yes, qualifiers are needed. But I think it's clear he isn't addressing people with that particular pattern of sin.

Blogs are put out there for the whole world to read and we can end up with all kinds of people reading it. In a pastoral letter to a congregation, sure, perhaps the lack of qualifiers is possibly appropriate. However, as it stands, I agree with Randy that this blog entry lacks balance and veers into dangerous territory.

"Free to fail" is no comfort to anyone. It sounds little different from the mantra of "Jesus loves you just the way you are" found in broad evangelicalism, which does encourage an antinomian spirit. While Tullian rightly condemns perfectionism as "smelling like rotting flesh", his blog post has its own distinct stench.

I think of Jesus' prayer in Luke 22: 31 where he tells Peter that "I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail". Also, consider the Thomas Manton quote posted by Rev. Winzer in a separate thread today. It is a beautiful balanced antidote to both perfectionism and Tullian's "free to fail" fuzzy nonsense.

Here's the link to the Manton quote:

http://www.puritanboard.com/f25/heaven-we-look-68037/

Last edited:
I do not see anything wrong with this article. If you come from a background that teaches striving to be perfect then there is great joy and release in those words. Always trying harder and harder while being depressed because you can't meet those standards. I remember a pastor always telling us you do not read the bible enough. No matter how many hours you read the bible it was never enough. Nothing you ever did or will do is good enough. I knew a brother who was always striving and never able to meet his goals who did take his own life. Now he also had other mental problems but his intorspection of him not being good enough helped him along the path he choose.

How liberating when I came across the truth it's not what we do but what Christ did.

Quote the last paragraph.

Preaching the gospel is the only thing that helps us take our eyes off ourselves and how we’re doing and fix our eyes on Christ, the author and perfecter of our faith. Jesus fulfilled all of God’s perfect conditions so that our relationship to God could be perfectly unconditional.

You’re free!

This sends my spirit soaring to new heights when I relize this truth afresh.

Also he is refering to an article by Steve Brown who in some circles is refered to as Mr. Antinomianism. Due to those laying that charge against Steve Brown, I think are not truly listening or understanding what he is saying.

Was it not Luther who said, if when you preach the Gospel if you do not sound like an Antinomian you have not preached the Gospel? I could be wrong my brain does not function as good as it once did.

Was it not Luther who said, if when you preach the Gospel if you do not sound like an Antinomian you have not preached the Gospel? I could be wrong my brain does not function as good as it once did.

Luther may have said that, but he also wrote a book entitled Against the Antinomians , so I don't think he was exactly a fan.

"Free to fail" is no comfort to anyone. It sounds little different from the mantra of "Jesus loves you just the way you are" found in broad evangelicalism, which does encourage an antinomian spirit. While Tullian rightly condemns perfectionism as "smelling like rotting flesh", his blog post has its own distinct stench.

I think of Jesus' prayer in Luke 22: 31 where he tells Peter that "I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail". Also, consider the Thomas Manton quote posted by Rev. Winzer in a separate thread today. It is a beautiful balanced antidote to both perfectionism and Tullian's "free to fail" fuzzy nonsense.

Well said Mark. I have been cogitating on this quotation since reading it yesterday:

...and the more I read it the more it sure reads like Antinomianism. I would recommend reading John Henley Thornwell's work on Antinomianism (found here on Google Books) for some more on why this sounds like Antinomianism.

Was it not Luther who said, if when you preach the Gospel if you do not sound like an Antinomian you have not preached the Gospel?

Something like that. Yet as Bill points out, Luther was not antinomian. Rather, Luther understood that only the Gospel (which does sound antinomian) can free us from the burden of the law. This in turn frees us to actually keep the law out of gratitude in Christ, the way it was always intended to be kept.

Pastor Tchividjian's blog post deals only with the first half of that. But if you've heard him speak or read more of him, you'll know he strongly believes the second part as well.

Free set in the understanding of Liberty in the Christian life will not fit. Will you agree with me on this? I know you guys do. This conversation only illustrates how people will read this differently. Something still just grates me about free to Fail (sin). Especially when the word bondage is mostly related to sin and to the failures this blog is talking about contextually. I think it would have been a bit better had he put some small qualifies in the blog. For those in Christ, Free From the Eternal Consequences of...... That would have been better. We are not free or at liberty to fail (sin). And I really don't think Pastor Tullian thinks failing is a good thing nor something we are free or at liberty to do. Praise God we have an advocate with the Father.

Perhaps it is being overlooked that "failing" and "losing" are not attractive concepts, not in the way that, "indulging yourself" is attractive, certainly. Given the language it seems clear that this is directed to people who are exercised over their failures and losses, who would gladly triumph and succeed but who are distressed and discouraged about their own wretchedness. To one in such a condition "freedom to fail" seems unlikely to strike the note "go and sin more" - they want to sin less: I would suspect that it would come across more as "There is no condemnation for believers." And I think that this is a useful and necessary message, that is essential to fruitfulness.

Of course, when Paul made that point he then raised the possibility that this led to antinomianism and repudiated it with indignation. It is therefore obviously wise in a thorough treatment to include a similar disclaimer; but a heart that loves the law will rejoice to think that it is set free to serve without the burdens of guilt and doubt.

Sounds as if Tullian/Brown were reading Lloyd-Jones, who wrote:

First of all let me make a comment, to me a very important and vital comment. The true preaching of the gospel of salvation by grace alone always leads to the possibility of this charge [antinomianism] being brought against it. There is no better test as to whether a man is really preaching the New Testament gospel of salvation than this, that some people might misunderstand it and misinterpret it to mean that it really amounts to this, that because you are saved by grace alone it does not matter at all what you do; you can go on sinning as much as you like because it will redound all the more to the glory of grace. That is a very good test of gospel preaching. If my preaching and presentation of the gospel of salvation does not expose it to that misunderstanding, then it is not the gospel. Let me show you what I mean.
If a man preaches justification by works, no one would ever raise this question. If a man’s preaching is ‘If you want to be Christians, and if you want to go to heaven, you must stop committing sins, you must take up good works, and if you do so regularly and constantly, and do not fail to keep on at it, you will make yourselves Christians, you will reconcile yourselves to God, and you will go to heaven.’ Obviously a man who preaches in that strain would never be liable to this misunderstanding. Nobody would say to such a man, ‘Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?’ because the man’s whole emphasis is just this, that if you go on sinning you are certain to be damned, and only if you stop sinning can you save yourselves. So that misunderstanding could never arise.
Nobody has ever brought this charge against the Church of Rome, but it was brought frequently against Martin Luther, indeed that was precisely what the Church of Rome said about the preaching of Martin Luther. They said, ‘This man who was a priest has changed the doctrine in order to justify his own marriage and his own lust,’ and so on. ‘This man,’ they said, ‘is an antinomian; and that is heresy.’ That is the very charge they brought against him. It was also brought against George Whitefield two hundred years ago. It is the charge that formal dead Christianity – if there is such a thing – has always brought against this startling, staggering message, that God ‘justifies the ungodly.’
That is my comment: and it is a very important comment for preachers. I would say to all preachers: If your preaching of salvation has not been misunderstood in that way, then you had better examine your sermons again, and you had better make sure that you really are preaching the salvation that is offered in the New Testament to the ungodly, to the sinner, to those who are dead in trespasses and sins, to those who are enemies of God. There is this kind of dangerous element about the true presentation of the doctrine of salvation.
- D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones, Romans: The New Man, An Exposition of Chapter 6 (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1973), p. 8-9.

Last edited:
Steve “I haven’t told anybody in the world what I’m going to tell you. I have decided to leave my wife and I told God that if I get through to you, I would do whatever you told me to do.”

I asked him what prompted him to decide to leave her.

He told me,

“I became a Christian at fourteen and all my life I’ve been seeking to live up to the expectations of others. I work full-time in a ministry, I teach the Bible, and everyone thinks I’m the model Christian. I’m just tired of it. I’ve decided to do something for myself for a change.”

This doesn't sound like someone is battling perfectionism. It sounds like this persons motives are just plain messed up. He was evidently looking for praise in the wrong place and his motives were in the wrong place. This doesn't sound like someone who is battling perfectionism. Would you honestly tell this person the same thing this blog is purporting? Personally it sounds like he still has the same problem because he says he will listen to Steve Brown. What ever happened to listening to what Jesus Christ Said. This poor man is till seeking to be a man pleaser. He will obey Steve. Isn't that sweet? What a poor soul. He prays to God and tells Him I will do whatever Steve says to do. Sounds like this man has an idol problem with man's counsel instead of looking to God's word and what God says. This isn't a perfectionism problem.

I call this blog mostly misdiagnoses. Poor Counsel. This man needs a relationship with God and not another man.

I just got back home from cutting my Mom's grass. I did a lot of thinking and praying.

I call this blog mostly misdiagnoses. Poor Counsel. The man with the problem that I quote above needs a relationship with God and not another man. I am saddened by the poor application that a physician of the Soul would make to such a problem. This is not a perfectionism problem to which the application of this blog is addressed. I am almost certain that if we looked at the Physician's of the Soul of yesteryear we would see a better diagnosis. And I am obviously referring to the Puritans. Many good physicians of the soul today would point this man to the correct remedy. This Dr. of the Soul has missed the mark and it will bare eternal consequences maybe. I am glad we are free from the consequences of such failure. I imagine Dr. Tullian will be glad also when he stands before God and sees this misdiagnoses also. I am grateful that all of my misdiagnosing will be covered by the blood of Christ. But I don't have a license to be free to fail. Especially when so much is required of me by him.

Please know I am not trying to throw Rocks in a Glass shop. In fact the good Pastor Andy Webb called me out a few months back. He didn't smooth over anything. He saw I was in the gall of bitterness. He told me that he was worried about my soul. He issued a warning shot over my bow and pointed out Christ and His Holiness. It shook me back into reality. We all need that.

Yes, I have prayed for Pastor Tullian. I think it would be a good idea if we all did. He is not a perfect man and needs our prayers. I am sure he covets them. Now I need to remember to take heed lest I fail. Good luck on that one.

Last edited:
I am glad we are free from the consequences of such failure. I imagine Dr. Tullian will be glad also when he stands before God and sees this misdiagnoses also. I am grateful that all of my misdiagnosing will be covered by the blood of Christ...

I ask in all humbleness because I am trying to understand where you are coming from, but what is the difference between your statement and Tullian's? They seem to be saying the same thing, granted they are coming from different angles but they both arrive at the same point.

I am not free to fail. I am free from the eternal consequences of my failures if I am found in Christ. God never gives us a pass to fail. That is why 1 John 1:8,9 are recorded for us. That is why King David wrote Psalm 51.

BTW, I am not necessarily free from the consequences of failure on this side as St. Paul warns.

(Gal 6:7) Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

(Gal 6:8) For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

(Gal 6:9) And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

As I noted above I believe there was a misdiagnoses concerning this man who was a Teacher and on staff at a Church.

I am not free to fail. I am free from the eternal consequences of my failures if I am found in Christ. God never gives us a pass to fail.

I 100% agree that God never gives us a pass-A Green light- to sin. Having said that we must take comfort (freedom) in the fact that when we do fail, and we will- 1 John 1:8-10, that Christ is our righteousness. This means I can pursue righteousness wholeheartedly without fear that I will blow it and make my pursuit in vain.

Is failure always a sin? Is it a sin if I fail an exam? a job interview? a driver's test? In a success driven culture many people struggle with the failure to be as successful as their parent/sibling/neighbor. As someone who knows this reality I am profoundly grateful for Pastor Tullian's wise and pastoral counsel. Didn't David also write:
As for me, I am poor and needy,
but the Lord takes thought for me.
You are my help and my deliverer;
do not delay, O my God!
(Psalm 40:17 ESV)
Our identity is found in Christ (Eph. 1:3-14) not in our successes or failures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back