Is this a correct statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

raderag

Puritan Board Sophomore
I heard someone say this, and I'm not sure if it is the proper way to think if prayer or not:

We pray to the Father, through the Holy Spirit, in union with Christ.

I heard someone say this, and I'm not sure if it is the proper way to think if prayer or not:

It's a little confusing. I can understand what "we pray to the father through the Holy Spirit" means. But what does "we pray to the father in union with Christ" mean? So I'm not sure what the "thinking" the person was trying to convey by that second part.

It might make more sense to say "we pay to the Father because of our union with Christ", or ""we pay to the Father in the name of Christ".

It's a little confusing. I can understand what "we pray to the father through the Holy Spirit" means. But what does "we pray to the father in union with Christ" mean? So I'm not sure what the "thinking" the person was trying to convey by that second part.

It might make more sense to say "we pay to the Father because of our union with Christ", or ""we pay to the Father in the name of Christ".

I agree, but the person is a very educated reformed believer, so I think he means something by it. The "in union with Christ" was heavily stressed.

Some people (e.g., C.S. Lewis) have emphasized that our prayers are a joining with the one intercession of Christ. It may be that this is what the person you are speaking of had in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back