IPOD apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pergamum

Ordinary Guy (TM)
What are the best Ipod apps?

Bible, theology, kid's games, kid's education, courses, references, calendars, planners, etc?

Also, one can read Kindle books on an Ipod right? It can act sort of like a small kindle?

I have the ESV Bible app, which is great. It has a simple layout and is a breeze to use. There is also the Olive Tree Bible Reader app, which has tons of free books and other great ones you can buy. There is also a Kindle app.

I think the ESV app is the best bible app since it is easy to navigate, verses can be highlighted, notes can be written in it, and it can post directly to twitter and facebook. As far as reference the only one I use is neckties, which teaches you how to tie neckties

I'm assuming that you're talking about an iPod Touch in this case Pergamum. In this case, there are several apps I've found useful.

Christian Creeds & Confessions (free)
MyPrayPal (free)
Logos Bible Software (free, but only good if you have an account and have bought stuff from them)
Flashcards Deluxe ($4.99, but is well worth it if you have a lot of things to memorize and/or want to study).
Kindle (Free)
iBooks (Free)
QuickMem Greek ($0.99, but it is study cards for all of the greek words found in the New Testament...does assume basic alphabet and pronounciation knowledge)
QuickMem Hebrew (Free, same details as QuickMem Greek)
Bible (by LifeChurch.tv) - Free, is an outstanding app. Can download many different versions of the bible free of charge, and have access to an audio bible for certain translations when connected to the internet.

EDIT: I mainly use an iPad now, and while most apps for iPhone/iTouch are cross-compatible, I mostly stick with iPad apps. As a result, there may be other options running around that I'm not aware of.

I like the Ligonier, RTS, and SermonAudio apps as well. Pretty much more than a lifetime's worth of resources in your hands.

Where's My Water? - picked up through an App Store promotion. It is really outstanding, and it forces you to sit back and think...and think...and think...and when you got the perfect plan, the plan blows up in your face and you have to figure out another way to do it. There's hundreds of puzzles, plus bonus ones laying around when you find some stuff hidden throughout the levels. Also some achievements....that are not as easy as they sounds. Your kids will be playing it for hours.

I know I was.

Edit: To fill you in on the details. The objective is simple. You are helping a alligator named Swampy find some fresh water so he can take a bath. In each level, there will be water you have to get from Point A to Point B.

Sounds easy right? What makes this challenging is that to advance further in the game, you have to collect 3 ducks scattered on each level. The ducks are in some precarious positions, sometimes off the beaten path, and you have to run enough water (and only water...bad things happen if they come in contact with anything else) over them to obtain the duck (then complete the level with it in tact). To add another twist, the player will be introduced to various elements throughout the game that will manipulate that water in some way or form. Turn it into poison, evaporate into water vapor, grow plants, etc. Mines are in place, and the elements can sometimes act upon each other...

In short, three simple things to remember.

1) Get as much water as you can into the bathtub.
2) If you run out of fresh water, you lose and have to start the level over again.
3) If a drop of anything but water ends up in the bathtub with Swampy, you lose and have to start the level over again.

A couple of others that we use are

Accordance (the premiere Bible software for Mac also has an iPhone/iPad version now). You can use multiple versions at the same time.
BSecure (a mobile browsing app with filtering of inappropriate material). You can make it so other browsers (like Safari) can't run and programs can't be added or deleted without a pin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back