"In," "on," or "at" the pulpit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Curtis

Puritan Board Senior
In your country - or neck of the woods - do you say that the pastor is "in the pulpit," "on the pulpit," or "at the pulpit?"

I've heard "in" most frequently, with "at" a distant second, and can't recall anyone using "on".

"On the pulpit" most certainly tells me he is perched atop it. A pastor should be "in the pulpit" if preaching, or perhaps "behind the pulpit."

"From the pulpit he said . . ."; "From the pulpit I would say . . .". I think the expression refers as much to the office of preacher, or the act of preaching, as to the lectern or platform used. The Television has been termed "the devil's pulpit".

Yet, "on the pulpit" seems to be the norm here in South Africa (and, as Wes said, in Australia and Canada, as well)/

I guess the preachers have better balance there. (If you ask most folks here to show you the pulpit, they will likely point to the lectern, not the platform upon which it stands, although the definition would seem to allow for either usage).

If you ask most folks here to show you the pulpit, they will likely point to the lectern, not the platform upon which it stands, although the definition would seem to allow for either usage

I think that's the key! Is the pulpit the platform or the lectern? If the former, then "on" makes sense. If the latter, though, how can one be "in" it? I guess it boils down to cultural and idiomatic usage, but I thought it was interesting to hear pastors here speak of being "on" the pulpit after growing up in the American South where the pastor was always "in" it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back