New pulpit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

reaganmarsh

Puritan Board Senior
We've ordered a new pulpit for our church! I'm excited about this. It's very simple and I am looking forward to preaching from it.

Here's the link, if you care to take a look: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CE4EKRY/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll try to post some pictures once it gets here and is properly installed.

Maybe it's a strange thing to be excited about, but in nearly 19 years of ministry, I've never had the opportunity to do this before.

May Christ always be proclaimed from it.

Nice, but I prefer a more traditional wooden pulpit. We recently acquired a nice big wooden one from a Methodist church that shut down. I joked that since it came from a Methodist church, despite its age, this was the first time the gospel had been preached from it.

We've ordered a new pulpit for our church! I'm excited about this. It's very simple and I am looking forward to preaching from it.

Here's the link, if you care to take a look: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CE4EKRY/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Maybe it's a strange thing to be excited about, but in nearly 19 years of ministry, I've never had the opportunity to do this before.

That looks great. We'll be in need of a new pulpit soon and I like the clean and simple look of that one. I think the church may prefer a wooden pulpit, but we'll see.

I was torn between this one and a simple wooden one (I'm quite the traditionalist). This one won out...plus, it saved us over $800. I've preached from a music stand many times, and figure this is a suitable upgrade. :lol:

Oh great. Next you're gonna grow a goatee and sip coffee while you preach.

Just make sure you don't have the case of the jiggly legs, or a foot-to-leg scratching need, behind that see-through contraption. ;)

Hang a nice, dark, drape around the front and sides.

I was torn between this one and a simple wooden one (I'm quite the traditionalist). This one won out...plus, it saved us over $800. I've preached from a music stand many times, and figure this is a suitable upgrade. :lol:

Definitely an upgrade over a music stand, and the price is not bad. Some wood pulpits go into the thousand of dollars.

You should have taken instruction from Nehemiah and have some of the "men of Judah" in your congregation build a new pulpit. The cost of the one you ordered would more than cover the lumber and materials. :2cents:

You should have taken instruction from Nehemiah and have some of the "men of Judah" in your congregation build a new pulpit. The cost of the one you ordered would more than cover the lumber and materials. :2cents:

That's a good thought, and had been my initial desire. The pulpit we'd had when I first arrived was absolutely beautiful, and I really liked it. However, it had become a point of some brewing contention. It had been made by the men for a previous minister, which was, for some reason which was never quite clear, an issue which would quickly become a distraction if not addressed.

The course of wisdom here seemed to be more along these lines. It's definitely different than what I've used before, but it occurs to me that I've preached Christ with my Bible resting on all sorts of interesting places: prison beds, rehab center tables, school bleachers, classroom desks, school cafeteria serving apparatus, hospital chapel mini-lecterns, concrete plant holders on the sidewalk doing street preaching, logs propped together during a campout, the aforementioned music stand, and once even the casket at a graveside funeral (the family's rather odd request...still not sure what to make of that one).

This one will hold my Bible, give space for my notes, and even let me have my water cup accessible without bending over (which matters a lot these days when my gut starts playing its favorite games). Hopefully it'll serve us well. Reformed theology is adaptable. Ha ha! :)

Last edited:
That's a good thought, and had been my initial desire. The pulpit we'd had when I first arrived was absolutely beautiful, and I really liked it. However, it had become a point of some brewing contention. It had been made by the men for a previous minister, which was, for some reason which was never quite clear, an issue which would quickly become a distraction if not addressed.

Do you mean that the previous pastor took it with him when he left? It is odd how people get fixated on things. When I arrived at my church, they had a wooden lecture that was fine, but too small for my taste. I expressed my desire for a larger pulpit, and I was informed that some within the church had some sort of emotional attachment to the lectern. Apparently the pastor who planted my church, who had passed away a few years before I came, had used this lectern at every church that he had planted. I responded by expressing that I was unaware that the practice of keeping religious relics was a custom in Baptist churches. I got my bigger pulpit, and the old lectern found a nice home in the corner where it can still be fondly gazed at by all who might be so inclined.

Would that folks would apply this principle to actual worship practices (it's that time of year); except, Hezekiah didn't even leave the bronze serpent around to be fondly gazed at; and it had the distinction of having been appointed by God.:gillespie:
... and the old lectern found a nice home in the corner where it can still be fondly gazed at by all who might be so inclined.

Do you mean that the previous pastor took it with him when he left? It is odd how people get fixated on things. When I arrived at my church, they had a wooden lecture that was fine, but too small for my taste. I expressed my desire for a larger pulpit, and I was informed that some within the church had some sort of emotional attachment to the lectern. Apparently the pastor who planted my church, who had passed away a few years before I came, had used this lectern at every church that he had planted. I responded by expressing that I was unaware that the practice of keeping religious relics was a custom in Baptist churches. I got my bigger pulpit, and the old lectern found a nice home in the corner where it can still be fondly gazed at by all who might be so inclined.

No, he left it here. Some of our folks couldn't look at the pulpit without thinking of him and some associated difficulties. I discussed it with some of our deacons, and we took it out of the chapel, replacing it with an old wooden lectern for a while, then a music stand for a while, then the wooden lectern again. Then we ordered this one.

I really like your approach. Ha ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back