I want to understand historicism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladestunner316

Puritan Board Doctor
So far this is the only view of eschatology that intrigues me and I would like to know more about it:detective:

I skimmed through J. Parnell's(sp?) online book and I think he was theorizing that the end of the 6th millennium is between 2033-2133.

So to my historicist brothers Im all ears:)

Blade -- Have you this website? It answers some basic questions.

And it adds to the basic misunderstanding!

Claiming that almost all reformed confessions (including the WCF!) were historicist is reckless, and misleading.

That said, the site is a good resource. Just discern opinion from fact.

:2cents:

Claiming that almost all reformed confessions (including the WCF!) were historicist is reckless, and misleading.

This statement is correct:

Additionally, the Reformational confessions have adopted the Historicist interpretation including the Irish Articles (1615), the original Westminster Confession of Faith (1646), the Savoy Declaration (1658), and the London Baptist Confession (1688).

Each of these declares the Pope to be the Antichrist, which is the standard Historicist interpretation.

I would agree that the WCF is historicist....even though I am a preterist.

A number of men that I hold in high regard hold to the historicist position, but I'm not there yet... Like Daniel Ritchie, at this point I'm a postmil preterist and I don't hold to the traditional "golden age" theory.

There are several articles promoting historicism here on Dr. F.N. Lee's website.

This group which I think you are a member of is dedicated to historicism, but it has been very quiet lately. But if you ask a question I'm sure you will get a response.

I don't believe the Confession/Larger Catechism can be called "historicist" simply because it makes claims about events which are historically future to biblical events. Non-historicists make the same claims. While it could probably be shown that most if not all of the divines held to the historicist view of Revelation, nevertheless they wisely omitted such speculations from the body of their public formularies.

I don't believe the Confession/Larger Catechism can be called "historicist" simply because it makes claims about events which are historically future to biblical events. Non-historicists make the same claims. While it could probably be shown that most if not all of the divines held to the historicist view of Revelation, nevertheless they wisely omitted such speculations from the body of their public formularies.

Thanks for your comment Mr. Winzer, but would you not say that the WCF implies historicism because of the view of papal antichrist? Or would you say that its possible to hold to other views yet still maintain the papal antichrist position?

Thanks for your comment Mr. Winzer, but would you not say that the WCF implies historicism because of the view of papal antichrist? Or would you say that its possible to hold to other views yet still maintain the papal antichrist position?

The WCF could only imply historicism if the view of the papal antichrist depended on the historicist approach. It doesn't. It depends on an application of biblical principles to the historical situation. In the OT there were descriptions of the Christ to come, and the apostles subsequently argued that Jesus is the Christ. Likewise in the New Testament there are descriptions of an Antichrist to come, and the church has subsequently argued that these find manifestation in the Pope of Rome.

My pastor is writing an essay for publication on historicism in the context of George Gillespie's eschatology (and to a lesser extent, the Westminster Standards). Look for it to be available soon, dv!

My pastor is writing an essay for publication on historicism in the context of George Gillespie's eschatology (and to a lesser extent, the Westminster Standards). Look for it to be available soon, dv!

Where can we expect to find it published?

It is a publication of Master Poole Publishing, so I expect it to be available at the Matthew Poole Project website in my sig. :pilgrim: I'll provide more details when all of that is confirmed. I am editing it currently.

Wow...

How did I miss the study of this?

Somehow, I've read up (casually) on Premil, Postmil, Amil, Preterist, and thought I understood the major interpretations...but, for some reason, never studied Historicist...even more surprising, because, one of my most respected Board Members, is Andrew, whose opinions I value highly. Time to read! I love learning new beliefs within our great Christian Faith.:detective::book2:

Thanks.

How did I miss the study of this?

Somehow, I've read up (casually) on Premil, Postmil, Amil, Preterist, and thought I understood the major interpretations...but, for some reason, never studied Historicist...even more surprising, because, one of my most respected Board Members, is Andrew, whose opinions I value highly. Time to read! I love learning new beliefs within our great Christian Faith.:detective::book2:

Thanks.

:up:

I would like to read this VH!! BTW, do you hold to Historicism?

Kewl, yes, I sure do. :pilgrim:

This is interesting. I have never about this either, but I am interested in learning more.

Could someone who holds to this position maybe outline some key historical events that are believed to be fulfillment of Revelation passages. I read that the Papacy, rise of Islam, birth of Wyclife, and birth of Hus are believed to be fulfillment of specific passages, what are some other things that are viewed as fulfillments of Revelation in history? Also, according to historicists, how far are we into the prophecies given in Revelation currently in history?

How many here are Historicist?
I would be identified as historicist in my approach to prophecy.

Of course, historicism allows for a wider variety of interpretation than either preterism or dispensational futurism. While preterists see most prophecy fulfilled during the first century, and dispensational futurists during a future 7-year period, historicists see fulfillment in the events of many centuries, as well as the future. So they have much more latitude to work with.

For example, the breakup of the Roman empire into eastern and western legs, and then multiple kingdoms, as well as the rise of the papacy and Islam -- all are commented on by historicist writers.

You may also want to take a look at Historicism.com (LastDays.ca) -- the website of Joe Haynes, pastor of Hague Gospel Church in Saskatchewan. Joe worked with me on early stages of LEFT BEHIND Answered Verse by Verse but was then distracted by other duties.

A lot of SDA's are historicists.

The classic SDA reference on Historicism is a four volume set called
The Prophetic Faith of Our Fathers by LeRoy Edwin Froom.

It has been years since I looked at it, but as I recall, it very well represents
a basic historist position.

How many here are Historicist?
I would be identified as historicist in my approach to prophecy.

Of course, historicism allows for a wider variety of interpretation than either preterism or dispensational futurism. While preterists see most prophecy fulfilled during the first century, and dispensational futurists during a future 7-year period, historicists see fulfillment in the events of many centuries, as well as the future. So they have much more latitude to work with.

For example, the breakup of the Roman empire into eastern and western legs, and then multiple kingdoms, as well as the rise of the papacy and Islam -- all are commented on by historicist writers.

You may also want to take a look at Historicism.com (LastDays.ca) -- the website of Joe Haynes, pastor of Hague Gospel Church in Saskatchewan. Joe worked with me on early stages of LEFT BEHIND Answered Verse by Verse but was then distracted by other duties.

The reformers were certainly all Historicists in their eschatology. They all held that the Pope is the anti-Christ. I am a preterist (not a hyper-preterist) but affirm much of the historicist position, especially that the dictator in the Vatican is the anti-Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back