I finished St. Augustine's City of God

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Draught Horse
I am thinking of asking a few discussion questions when my brain settles down.

I'd like to sit on the sidelines while you and JohnV (and others) compare notes. It's been a while since I read it. It's classic.

Wow, Jacob, you didn't have to hurry through it like that.

The first time I read it I read an abridged version of it. And then I would read a few chapters, and then go back to where I still understood so that I could either find where I lost him or just take in the breadth of what he was saying. It took a long time to go through it that way. And actually, though I have read a number of times, I still feel like I haven't really read it all the way yet.

The copy I have is from the Great Western Books series. It is so fittingly accompanied by the Confessions and On Christian Doctrine. The three belong together, it seems. And yet the Enchiridion is so crucial to it too. But then, I guess, that's why every time I read it again I think I am reading it for the first time again; I have added a new dimension to it by reading his other work.

I would look forward to discussing some things. I have done that before with others and have found that the things we got out of his book was so very different, because he covers such a wide spectrum and we each appreciate it within our own. But I would say that the times I have found a compatriot who has actually read The City of God have been few.

I have found that even college and university students who are supposed to be covering Augustine's work don't really read him at all, but just all about him. They really aren't getting a good classical education, but a modern one that only appraises it from afar. They don't know how to be properly critical; they've only learned how to criticize and opinionate. This has been quite disappointing to me.

I am so glad to have found this Board where there are people who are really serious in wrestling with their own limited knowldege, subduing their own limitations to wider vistas more befitting the wondrous faith we have inherited from our fathers in the faith. ( A little plug for the spiritual side of Presumptive Regeneration doesn't hurt, does it? )

Thanks John.
I can't wait to read his On Christian Doctrine. I have a number of reasons for reading that. I have read Confessions twice.

I will have to reread some of his sections again. While I am not starting the discussion just yet, I found his view of Revelation, especially ch. 20 to be thought-provoking.

I need to reread his section on original sin/creation, etc.

[Edited on 8--20-05 by Draught Horse]

Originally posted by Draught Horse
Thanks John.
I can't wait to read his On Christian Doctrine. I have a number of reasons for reading that. I have read Confessions twice.

I will have to reread some of his sections again. While I am not starting the discussion just yet, I found his view of Revelation, especially ch. 20 to be thought-provoking.

I need to reread his section on original sin/creation, etc.

I will have to too. Maybe we should give each other long-range forewarning about which section we want to discuss.

The 1575th anniversary of Augustine's death is later this month (August 28). I'm hoping Jacob and John will host a City of God symposium here on the PB. Come on guys, whaddaya say? :pilgrim:

"I have found that even college and university students who are supposed to be covering Augustine's work don't really read him at all, but just all about him. They really aren't getting a good classical education, but a modern one that only appraises it from afar. They don't know how to be properly critical; they've only learned how to criticize and opinionate. This has been quite disappointing to me."

Be encouraged; I was required to read On Free Choice of the Will for introduction to philosophy. This was at a secular university a few years ago. This was my introduction to Augustine, and I have since read Confessions and am now reading City of God.

Originally posted by SRoper
"I have found that even college and university students who are supposed to be covering Augustine's work don't really read him at all, but just all about him. They really aren't getting a good classical education, but a modern one that only appraises it from afar. They don't know how to be properly critical; they've only learned how to criticize and opinionate. This has been quite disappointing to me."

Be encouraged; I was required to read On Free Choice of the Will for introduction to philosophy. This was at a secular university a few years ago. This was my introduction to Augustine, and I have since read Confessions and am now reading City of God.

:up::up::up:

I am encouraged.

What are the best translations/publishers for City of God and Augustine's books in general? Does it make any difference? Ligonier suggests his works as translated by Penguin Classics.

Allan:

The only one I have at present is the one in the GWB series. I did have another, better translation. But I can't remember the translator's name; it was French, I remember that. Beyond that, I don't know. I'm just sorry that the one I have now is so clumsy in language. It makes it harder to grasp, but it does seem at times to get to Augustine's meaning more in-depth.

I read the Penguins classics series on City of God and the Signet Classics on the Confessions. If you don't like the translations subustitute your own style for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back