How often?

Status
Not open for further replies.

INsearch

Puritan Board Freshman
Do you read your bible? How many times would you say you read your bible each day? for how long? and how many chapters?:think:

As of late its been like.. hmmm maybe three times yesterday? one chapter each time. I should probably get into the habit of reading it much more often:book2: So how go's it for you guys?

I see this topic getting ugly--not the posts themselves, but the attitudes when comparing who all is reading their Bibles how much.

...but maybe that's just me, someone who should do more reading.

Oh :( Then would it be advisable that I rephrase the question in such a way that it doesn't create like a spirit of "contest" or something?

Words from an older person...

There will be times in your life where you will read more than others...whether it's due to life hitting you or purely your own self getting priorities mixed up. It's just like with all the "mom schedules" and "organisers". You can plan everything out perfectly, even Bible reading, and IT WILL get out of whack and you will have to step back, regroup, and start from square one again. Bible reading is the same. Make it a practice, a habit, don't beat yourself up when you don't meet your expectations, just step back and regroup.

This is like those that say that you should always read as soon as you wake up (let me tell you how many times I've fallen asleep reading my Bible trying to live by that standard). Plan when the best time is in your life NOW...later that time may change due to your life THEN. And be willing to pick you your Bible just whenever also ;) There is always something to be learned.

*says someone who also could always be reading more than she does (I don't think anyone is innocent of this).

Do you read your bible? How many times would you say you read your bible each day? for how long? and how many chapters?:think:

As of late its been like.. hmmm maybe three times yesterday? one chapter each time. I should probably get into the habit of reading it much more often:book2: So how go's it for you guys?
Not nearly enough, though I am always looking up verses on the web I just don't read the bible much. I got an ESV study Bible I'm still not sure how to use it properly. I want to get a devotional bible someday, my wife has the woman's devotional Bible and likes it

Quality versus quantity (time). It's not a race or a marathon. Find what's right for you. It may vary. What do you find most beneficial personally?

lol this wasn't really meant to be a thread of me asking advice :) (though I appreciate the advice you guys gave me) it was just suppose to be a thread talking about how often you spend your time in Gods word?

lol this wasn't really meant to be a thread of me asking advice :) (though I appreciate the advice you guys gave me) it was just suppose to be a thread talking about how often you spend your time in Gods word?
I've been reading less lately, maybe a chapter or two a day. I use to do the "through the Bible" in a year or 1/2 year thing, and read more chapters. I'm not sure which I prefer. Reading less has given me the opportunity to really focus in on what's being said, and to think more about what I was reading. Reading more chapters had its advantage in that it helped me see the bigger picture.

quantity and quality is always changing for me. There's no steady, "I read this much per day/week". I should read more than I do.

I would suggest that perhaps quality is more important than quantity when it comes to this. While it is definitely important to be reading the word and being fed constantly, it is very easy to read a few chapters, maybe even a whole book (like an epistle, say) and really not get much of it. But it is also possible to spend perhaps a short amount of time reading maybe just one chapter, one psalm, or whatever, and get quite a bit of spiritual teaching and be quite impacted by it.

Every one of us should probably read our Bibles more. I think it depends on where you are at in your life, and the responsibilities you have. When I was younger and single I would study my Bible at least three or four hours a day. When I was a full-time pastor I would have a devotional Bible Study at least an hour a day. This did not include anything read for my sermons. I try to do what I can, with the time alotted. As a family man with kids, part-time pastor, and business owner my time is more limited. I study my Bible at least thirty minutes every morning. This is a devotional time and is not related to my sermon preparation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back