How many of you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilgrim72

Puritan Board Junior
have bought a book and once you got it found out that you already had it???

*sigh*

I've done that a lot, actually. And I just recently did it again. (With two books!)

Sadly, I buy too many books, don't have time to read them all, and end up rebuying them a few years later once I've forgotten that I already had them...

Perhaps I'm just going senile or something. :banghead:

Has anyone else experienced this? (Please tell me I'm not alone.)

Yup... did it with Gospel Remission by Burroughs (had forgotten which one of them I didn't have) and with at least one other work, but I can't remember which it was (which is bad... maybe I'll buy a third of that one!)

Oh, believe me you are not alone. At one point in my life I had four copies of Huxely's "A Brave New World." Don't ask me why, but I did. My biggest problem is that when I discover I have two or more of the same title, I usually do nothing about. I shelve them together and forget about it. I probably should try selling some of them.

book2.gif
Yep, I've done it at least twice. Thankfully I have a son who needs to build up his own library before leaving the nest. :)

Haven't done that exactly but I have given away books before only to find out I needed them and had to re-buy them again. Does that count? lol

Done it a more than a few times... Now we keep an Excel document with all of our Christian library on it, printed up in a 3-ring binder. But STILL we do it! :)

There are some books that we've bought a couple or three times -- and if it doesn't happen on purpose, now we just say to each other, well, the Lord must have someone in mind for us to give this to; it wasn't an accident. And before long, it just about always happens that someone does come along who's been looking for just that book!

You can look at it that way: if you thought enough of the book to buy it twice - then there must be someone you can give it to...

Margaret

I have this strange compulsion to buy copies of J.D. Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye whenever I find one. I dunno what that means.
shrug.gif

There is a Half Price Books by my house, five to be exact. I have a hard not buying books I already have because it is such a good deal I can't pass up.I have several of the same kind of bibles because they were on sale and I could hardly pass it up. :p Then I wind up giving them away or selling to the local used Christian Bookstore.

This is one thing I don't think I've ever managed to do. I have bought additional copies of books before, but it has always been with the intention of giving it away.

Just an idea but if you have more than one or two copy's of a particular book, maybe you can donate the extra to your church library if your church has one.

I have this strange compulsion to buy copies of J.D. Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye whenever I find one. I dunno what that means.
shrug.gif

"The Catcher in the Rye?" :lol: Holden Caulfield?????? Somehow, Andrew, I just don't see the two of you as "kindred spirits!"

:rofl:

As for me, I'm kind of partial to anything by Jackie Collins or Rona Jaffe... :book2: :um: :lol:

Margaret

shrug.gif

"The Catcher in the Rye?" :lol: Holden Caulfield?????? Somehow, Andrew, I just don't see the two of you as "kindred spirits!"

Ahh, it's just an allusion to a certain Mel Gibson movie called Conspiracy Theory. :)

I do collect extra copies of Puritan/Reformed books like The Christian's Daily Walk, The Plain Man's Pathway to Heaven and The Songs of Zion to sell or share as I can with other interested readers. :pilgrim:

As for me, I'm kind of partial to anything by Jackie Collins or Rona Jaffe... :book2: :um: :lol:

Margaret

:lol:

My mother owns a used bookstore and there is an old man that comes in weekly to exchange books, on at least 3 occasions he has brought in books and then went and picked up another copy of the same book he just brought in. He got angry at the clerk one time because he thought she had given back the same books, but he had picked up another copy of both of the same books he had just exchanged. They now have a list of all the books he had bought and exchanged.

I did it with two books, once; but my books had been boxed up for a couple of years at the time, and so I couldn't look at them very often.

shrug.gif

Not because this is the Puritan Board, but I buy a lot of bibles. I currently own 83 English-language bibles. If I were to count the foreign-language bibles, I have over one hundred bibles. Different translations, sizes, purposes...It is a strange compulsion of mine. When my wife tells me no more bibles, I tell her we all collect things and bibles are my thing.:book2:

shrug.gif

When you start seeing the black helicopters in whisper mode with people repelling down from them looking for you,then you'll know your in trouble! :lol:

shrug.gif

When you start seeing the black helicopters in whisper mode with people repelling down from them looking for you,then you'll know your in trouble! :lol:

Yes, as Henry Kissinger said, "Even paranoids have eneme---

*This internet connection has been terminated under the provisions of 115 Stat. 272 (2001).*

Just an idea but if you have more than one or two copy's of a particular book, maybe you can donate the extra to your church library if your church has one.

I've done it a few times. And I've bought sets of which I've had individual volumes...I give them to my associate pastor.

I've done it a few times. And I've bought sets of which I've had individual volumes...I give them to my associate pastor.

I have no doubt that he appreciates that. I wish we had a good bookstore around here but a good book store that sells theological sound books is a rarity these days. Most so called "Christian" books stores are only interested in selling the latest fad book by Osteen or Benny Hinn and lots of Jesus junk that is worthless but sells for $$.

Wow. I'm glad I'm not alone in this. :)
Interesting note, one of the books was "Gospel Remission" by Burroughs. Now I have two...

Hey, at least I'm in good company.

A side note, I just got a book today from Solid Ground (my first time ordering from them), and they have wrapped the book up so nice as if it was fine merchandise.

I gotta say, it was a joy unwrapping it. :)
(I never thought I'd say that)

And I'm sure it'll be a joy reading it too.

shrug.gif

Ahh, it's just an allusion to a certain Mel Gibson movie called Conspiracy Theory. :)

I do collect extra copies of Puritan/Reformed books like The Christian's Daily Walk, The Plain Man's Pathway to Heaven and The Songs of Zion to sell or share as I can with other interested readers. :pilgrim:

Margaret

:lol:

Oh... Sorry! It's something I do with fair frequency these days: totally miss recent cultural references (probably especially those that are Mel Gibson-related - :lol: :lol: :lol: )... I would be "anathema" to him - and I enthusiastically return the favor! :p :banana:

Cheers,

Margaret

have bought a book and once you got it found out that you already had it???

*sigh*

I've done that a lot, actually. And I just recently did it again. (With two books!)

Sadly, I buy too many books, don't have time to read them all, and end up rebuying them a few years later once I've forgotten that I already had them...

Perhaps I'm just going senile or something. :banghead:

Has anyone else experienced this? (Please tell me I'm not alone.)

What happens with me is not that I forgot I already have it, but that I can't find the one I already have. So I buy another copy of it, and then after I bought the other copy, I eventually find the first book but only after stores' return policy expires.

I have to say that I've never done this. Maybe it's because I haven't been doing this long enough to have the relapse occur, or because I have a mental list of every book I own... since the second isn't likely, the first is probably the case!

Yep. I bought 2 P.Johnson books: Darwin on Trial and J Stuart Russell's
The Parousia:

I read Johnson's book, but have NEVER gotten around to reading Russell's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back