Horton Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
Can someone who has Horton Davies Worship of the English Puritans, check their copy and tell me if they find where he deals with the distinction in the Puritan principle of worship between element and circumstance? He does not appear to do so on page 258, at the top. I only have notes from a copy I checked at the library so cannot check myself right now. Any help is greatly appreciated.

A few minutes of skimming doesn't turn up anything, and I don't recall that particular distinction being discussed in the book. Of course, it might be referred to very briefly, but if so, I can't find it without a more thorough reading.

I hope that helps!

I have recently read it, but I do not remember (off the top of my head) that he goes into the distinction. This book seems to me more of the application of the regulative principle, and how the puritans differed on such, than a theological treatise on the RPW.

Philip; Jeff,
Thanks. My brief read the other day at the library left the same impression; while an appreciative historian, Davies struck me as not sympathetic to holding the RPW. The value is that it cited the Puritans in their own words (and this was more important when it was first published in 1948 I'm sure). Was that your all's impression? He seemed to throw out the Bibliolatry charge once or twice. Again, my read was brief and only in parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back