Honest question for Credo-Baptists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Robert - I'm trying to answer this plainly. But first, let me ask a question. Is it possible to be a Christian without being part of the church (whether visible or invisible)? If the answer is "no", then it has a great bearing on the question from you OP. If the answer is "yes", then there are more issues to discuss than just baptism.

It is the opinion of this Baptist that entrance into the invisible church is synonymous with being part of the body of Christ. Both are soteriological issues. Baptism does not complete what Christ accomplished on the cross. Salvation has always been by grace through faith...alone. Baptism is a step of obedience and unites the believer with the visible body of Christ. In order to be a member of a Baptist church you must show evidence of being scripturaly baptized.

Hi:

Thanks for this response - I greatly appreciate it. I would answer the question concerning whether or not a person can be a Christian and not be a member of a local church carefully.

The answer I would give is "yes" but only in extreme circumstances. The thief on the Cross, for example, did not have a chance to become a member. The Ethiopian Eunich was travelling back to his country where no established NT Church existed (though he may have started one!) Missionaries may have to work in areas where there is no local church.

The answer that I would give is "no" if the person has an opportunity to join a local church that preaches the true religion, but refuses to do so. Such a stubborn refusal is a bad sign, and rebellous to the commands not to forsake fellowship, etc. A Christian is not an individual, but a member of the Body of Christ. As such I believe he would seek to express his faith by attaching himself to a local congregation that practices the true religion.

I think that you and I are in agreement on this matter.

What I hear some Baptists saying is that Baptism does unite the Christian to a local congregation. I have no problem with such a view, but it seems that the 1689 Confession rejects it.

If Baptism is a sign of being united to Christ, then would it not be a sign of being united to the body of Christ (universal), and, of being united to the local congregation that Baptizes the person? Traditional Baptists do not seem to agree with this point. Why?

Blessings,

-CH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back