Have any read Rushdooney's work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

omnivore

Puritan Board Freshman
I have Rushdooney's 3 volume Institlutes on Biblical Law. I read these before learning of the more profound work of the Puritans.
Anyone have experience with him?

Jack
Lay Teacher
Alliance Church of Holiday
Florida

Last edited:
I generally liked IBL. But he does have some "peculiar" views (read: things I don't agree with!). For instance, he argues for following the OT dietary laws, If I recall correctly.

haven't read IBL...I've read The One and the Many, By What Standard?, Christianity and the State, Infallability: An Inescapable Concept.

I thoroughly enjoyed all of them, and recommend Rushdoony. From what I've heard, he has some "different" ideas...as noted, the dietary laws...but overall, he's a solid, under-appreciated theologian (well, I think he was a theologian).

I highly recommend reading Rushdoony (with discernment, as you should read all non-Scripture). There is a ton of great stuff in IBL.

I also recommend downloading the free MP3's available at The Chalcedon Foundation - Faith for All of Life

I subscribed to those messages for my birthday. Listening to his lectures was like opening hundreds of presents! :banana:

-----Added 3/21/2009 at 07:55:51 EST-----

I generally liked IBL. But he does have some "peculiar" views (read: things I don't agree with!). For instance, he argues for following the OT dietary laws, If I recall correctly.

I listened to a dietary lecture of his on mp3 and it was actually a lot tamer than I thought it would be. He basically said that for the NT, it's merely a guide for health than a strict requirement for separation as in the OT. True, he abstains, but He says that if ham, shellfish, etc are set before you in someone's home, you shouldn't refuse it.

I heard a story once that Joe Morecraft was at a luncheon/dinner type thing with him and he told Rush that if he didn't want his pork chops, he'd be more than glad to take them off his hands. :lol:

I heard a story once that Joe Morecraft was at a luncheon/dinner type thing with him and he told Rush that if he didn't want his pork chops, he'd be more than glad to take them off his hands. :lol:

I was thinking of that exact story while reading your post. It's so funny to hear Joe's retelling of it in his southern drawl. :lol:

True, he abstains, but He says that if ham, shellfish, etc are set before you in someone's home, you shouldn't refuse it.

Exactly. A good percentage of that sort of thing you hear about him is slander.

I read the Institutes of Biblical Law Volume 1 two times and found it great. A lot of scripture--the big picture--made sense that hadn't before. Volume 2 didn't seem as great. His book Revolt Against Maturity is phenomenal.

A few years back I would get tapes of Rush from Mt Olive tape library $.25 per tape. It was the best money I ever spent.

His book Revolt Against Maturity is phenomenal.

Yes it is. I loved the theme of the book - God put a grown "man" in the garden, not a child. As in all his work, Rush really honed in on the godless philosophy of the French Revolution - Rousseau's perverse emphasis on the superior "spirituality" of the "child" who is in chains because of his bondage to family and church - who must be "freed" from the chains of family and church to serve the state.

Every godless movement in any society can be traced back to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back