Great Books of the Western World

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobcandler1689

Puritan Board Freshman
I purchased the 54 volume set “Great Books of the Western World” yesterday at a used bookstore (they were all still in shrink wrap!). Has anyone read through this set before? Any tips on the best way to do so? How has it profited you, or what do you think might be the profit of doing so?

I've read about 60% of it. My suggestion is to focus on the authors/topics you are most interested in. At the same time, begin working through the topics in vols 1 and 2 of the Syntopicon. The syntopicon cross-references the topics with the authors who write on them. At that point you can follow the "footnote trail."

As to reading, begin with Aristotle's Categories. It's not long and it is fundamental to how Western people think about logic. Then move to Nichomachean Ethics.

Pick a few dialogues from Plato. They are all fun. He was such a good writer. For a Christian perspective, start working through Augustine (it includes Confessions, City of God, and Christian Doctrine).

I've read through the set before in random order. I'm going through the set again in chronological order. I don't think there's a wrong way to approach it. I think for a successful first time around going Jacobs route might be best (that way you don't lose interest). I would stress reading Plato and Aristotle first, regardless, to lay a good foundation. The benefit of the chronological route is seeing the progression of the discussion as it played out historically. Additionally, there's nothing wrong with reading secondary sources, but I would keep them short to not add even more reading and perhaps lose focus.

Some of the translations are old and clunky. Supplementing difficult passages with a newer version can sometimes be helpful.

I didn't know anything like this existed. Very cool! Looking online, this seems expensive. Do they sell a digital version of this somewhere?

I didn't know anything like this existed. Very cool! Looking online, this seems expensive. Do they sell a digital version of this somewhere?
Ebay has good deals from time to time. Otherwise, you could just build the collection with something like Penguin paperbacks.

Did not realize something like this existed. What an awesome set & kudos to all who get through it! How long would it take to read through all the material?

Did not realize something like this existed. What an awesome set & kudos to all who get through it! How long would it take to read through all the material?
There are "Great Books Colleges" with undergraduate programs consisting only or mainly of the GB material and taught in the Socratic or roundtable method. That would be devoting your time only to the GB's. 5 years if going more aggressive. 5-10 at your own pace. Mixing the GB's through your normal reading could get you through the material reasonably in 5-10 years.

There are "Great Books Colleges" with undergraduate programs consisting only or mainly of the GB material and taught in the Socratic or roundtable method. That would be devoting your time only to the GB's. 5 years if going more aggressive. 5-10 at your own pace. Mixing the GB's through your normal reading could get you through the material reasonably in 5-10 years.

I think it was mainly videos with Roman Roads Media (particularly a tour of Wes Callihan’s library on youtube) that got me very interested in the series initially. Roman Roads Media teach a series “Old Western Culture”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back