George Salmon on the ingratitude of not loving our fatherland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
... We owe so much, for instance, to our country and its laws, which give us security for property, and life, and family comfort, that it is justly accounted the grossest ingratitude if we do not love our fatherland, or if we hesitate to give our substance or our life for it should its needs require. ...

For more, see:

... We owe so much, for instance, to our country and its laws, which give us security for property, and life, and family comfort, that it is justly accounted the grossest ingratitude if we do not love our fatherland, or if we hesitate to give our substance or our life for it should its needs require. ...

For more, see:

Understanding and appreciating this more and more.

The Fatherland is a penultimate good. Loving it is good. Obviously, there is a danger in idolatry, but given the Idol of Globalism today, it is hard to see that as much of a problem.

The Germans sing:
"Blühe, deutsches Vaterland!"
Bloom, German Fatherland!

The Swiss sing:
"Gott, den Herrn, im hehren Vaterland!"
That God, the Lord, dwelleth in this noble Fatherland!

I weep for my "fatherland," and do not recognize it. I have here no continuing city, and pray for the Lord to grant reformation or removal, whatever most benefits His Church. My fidelity for my fatherland is commensurate with its fidelity to the Lord Jesus Christ. This means I hope for her reformation, obey magistrates in their lawful and truly indifferent commands, pray for peace in her bounds, that we may live quiet and peaceable lives in all godliness, etc. But when she hates Christ and would seek to snuff out His presence/"memory," I cannot -I will not- love her, at least not in that state sense, of her "laws" which are mischief under guise of "law."*

*all of that noted, I don't believe Mr. Salmon is speaking about the same kind of fatherland, so this is a necessary caveat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back