Free ebook - Calvin's sermons on Deuteronomy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh nice! I'd actually started this project myself but was leery about releasing it because I've not proofread the entire thing (which is daunting, at about 200 sermons). Now I'm glad I didn't sink too much time into it.

I'll check it out, hopefully they've filled in the missing sermons that were lacking in the public domain "clean" copy.

Edit:
Sadly it looks like the sermons that were lacking (for whatever reason, since they are in the facsimile) are still missing. Namely: 22, 103--106, 123, 128, 129, and 149--163.
It lacks a useable "Go To" menu, and the formatting is a bit clunky throughout and it still really ought to be proofread for the capitalization and typos particularly. Nevertheless, the original work of typing it up was a huge undertaking and provides an amazing wealth of content to the reader. But it looks like I still have my work cut out for me if I really want to make a nice Kindle version.

Oh nice! I'd actually started this project myself but was leery about releasing it because I've not proofread the entire thing (which is daunting, at about 200 sermons). Now I'm glad I didn't sink too much time into it.

I'll check it out, hopefully they've filled in the missing sermons that were lacking in the public domain "clean" copy.

Edit:
Sadly it looks like the sermons that were lacking (for whatever reason, since they are in the facsimile) are still missing. Namely: 22, 103--106, 123, 128, 129, and 149--163.
It lacks a useable "Go To" menu, and the formatting is a bit clunky throughout and it still really ought to be proofread for the capitalization and typos particularly. Nevertheless, the original work of typing it up was a huge undertaking and provides an amazing wealth of content to the reader. But it looks like I still have my work cut out for me if I really want to make a nice Kindle version.

Too bad to hear that, Logan. I wonder if John Hendryx would be open to collaboration with you? Just a thought. Of course, I say that with no concept of what that would entail for you...so I may be speaking out of turn. (If so, my apologies.)

This text was made available by EEBO TCP a number of years ago. I think it is now available for public use. It would be worth checking with the EEBO database before typing out texts from this period.

Yes, the text there is complete (I believe), but it has been typed up letter-for-letter, so it has:
"he will haue vs to behaue our selues, & hath set y[SUP]e[/SUP] same down"

There is a "cleaner" version which Mongergism used for its Kindle edition. I originally found it here.

It would (ideally) have rendered the above phrase as:
"he will have us to behave ourselves, and hath set the same down"

If you want a clean text, it is far easier just to re-type the entire thing in my opinion. I did that and added minor footnotes and synonyms for obsolete words and such when I did Calvin's sermons on Titus. Nothing to the extent that Chris does though :)

When I preached through Deuteronomy, his sermons were helpful. I highly recommend the book, especially if you can get a hard copy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back