Finding a wife!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sometimes have difficulty finding my wife in our own home. I know she's around, but I can't find her. It happens when we're talking while we're each doing things, moving about the house. It's not a problem at church, because either she's got the keys to the car or I do, so neither of us is going anywhere without the other. If we can't find each other, we at least have the comfort of knowing that we can do no worse than be the last ones to leave.

:lol:

I must have been missing the humor around these parts all this time, because I've just been roaring at several recent posts lately!

I think maybe it had to do with spending to much time in the baptism forum. ;):D

Bobbi

I am not sure an evangelistic Bible study for the purpose of finding a spouse is a good idea.

Ralph

I will have to visit the Netherlands.

Most larger churches here have a young singles group called College and Careers which is for singles to hopefully meet and marry. :handshake: In fact, these groups can be a good way to make friends your age even if you do not find your wife there. And friends have friends who have sisters...... :2cents:

Dear Daniel,

With an avatar of Greg Bahnsen, who could turn you down?

Other than that I have no advice because I'm in my 40s and still single. But I must say I'm very content, and know that a spouse can't give me the satisfaction that only Christ gives me. It's magnificent! Plus the spare time means I can read lots of theology, and surf great waves!

God bless brother.

Daniel Ritchie;

I am not sure an evangelistic Bible study for the purpose of finding a spouse is a good idea.

Why not?

Don't some of the men in your area have friends or cousins even in other towns they could introduce you to?

If you started a Single men's bible study, young women would begin to show up at church....single women also inquire as to where single men go..and if you had a Single mens Bible study--then the single women would begin to come..

If your church started a single's ministry or singles bible study..singles of both sexes would start coming...and whether you would meet your future wife there, or else where, your church would still be reaching out to a group of people training them up in the Lord..

Many churches offer childrens or youth ministries, so why not one with the name "Singles Ministry"?

I went to a church that started a "Single Parents" Sunday school class, they taught the same thing as other sunday school classes, the only difference was the people happened to be single parents. The class has grown from some 20 people the first year to over 100 people in the class, last I heard they grew to have two single parents sunday school class because the need was so great. I was in the class the first year, and stayed in the class for 4 years, so why not look to see the benefits of starting a class even titled "Single Adults Ministries" or "Single Adults Sunday School Class" and invite other singles you know to come check it out...and then watch God work to grow it..

Many churches offer childrens or youth ministries, so why not one with the name "Singles Ministry"?

Many churches offer a coffee ministry or some fill-in-the blank ministry; why not just have a service and Sunday school where everyone is able to gather and hear the Word of God together? The fragmenting of the church leads to people cleaving to groups, rather than the church as a whole.

Yes, but 'it is not good for man to be alone'

Yes, indeed, there are the problems that singleness brings, one of them being loneliness. However, there are whole swag of problems that marriages and family brings.

Our culture subtly gives us the message that we can't be content until we're married. That, of course, is idolatry because it's only Christ that gives us contentment (or "complacency" as John Owen puts it). The apostle Paul knew contentment, even when hungry (Phil. 4:11-12). It's not good to be hungry, but it's not a block to contentment. Food can't give that. Neither can marriage, even though its a good gift from God.

One of my experiences as a single person of many years, is the pressure in the Church community (which I don't get amongst non-Christians) to feel somewhat incomplete or illegitimate if you're single. However, as Paul said, singleness can entail a devotion to God which is not possible in marriage (1 Cor. 7:32-34).

Singleness is no bar to contentment, because that can only be found in God. The best preparation for marriage is learning contentment in Christ alone. Marriage doesn't give contentment, but two contented people (in Christ) make a great marriage.

God bless you brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back