Finally, Discerning Reader Responds

Status
Not open for further replies.
:ditto: That is what it sounds like to me too. Someone there has a screw loose. They are not managing their business possibly because they mentally cannot and are perceiving themselves to be victimized when called to task on it. Sounds like someone who is not thinking clearly. Although his particular distaste for calvinists shows some kind of fixation is going on and you wonder if he puts people buying reformed books last on his priority list on purpose just so he can attack them when they get upset. That too shows some kind of psychosis.:scholar:

Can I get a witness???

I just thought I'd add my "testimony." :down:

My wife ordered The Religous Affections and The Valley of Vision for me for my birthday... which was September 12th. They still haven't come.

She's emailed them a couple of times. I told her to keep track and see how many emails it took before she got a message rebuking her for not showing Christian patience and love.

How loving is it of them to take our money w/o sending the books or any response to inquiries?

The really frustrating thing for me is thinking about how excited I was when I discovered the DR and how I used to really talk them up to all my friends and my pastor.

Unbelievable, another sad advertisement for Christianity

I should have known you had "Reformed" leanings, Kyle. Reformed people tend to lack the very grace they speak so much about.

I have sent the Piper book, we are refunding the Edwards set and trust you will do your shopping somewhere else in the future.

This is so typical today, people like this disillusion non christians who need to here Gods word.

I would love to know how he manages to compare Grace with Incompetence?:banghead::banghead::banghead:

I tried to visit their website but the page didn't load, are they closed down now?

BTW I tried so many times accessing monergism.com's online bookstore but coudn't get through, I live in China, does anyboday know why this happens?

Originally posted by duncan001
I tried to visit their website but the page didn't load, are they closed down now?

BTW I tried so many times accessing monergism.com's online bookstore but coudn't get through, I live in China, does anyboday know why this happens?
Duncan,
I went there and the link didn't work for me. You can get to the bookstore by clicking on the Books link and then selecting "Monergism Books.com Join the Monergism Revolution".

[Edited on 2-12-2005 by blhowes]

I will email John Hendryx & tell him his link isn't working, but I need to know which one. Is it when you try to go there directly? What's the bookstore's web address? I usually go through the monergism.com site.

:banghead: Referencing the apology, why does "love" seem today to have the same meaning as "uncritical acceptence"?

Originally posted by blhowes
Originally posted by duncan001

Duncan,
I went there and the link didn't work for me. You can get to the bookstore by clicking on the Books link and then selecting "Monergism Books.com Join the Monergism Revolution".

[Edited on 2-12-2005 by blhowes]

Thanks for reply, but even that link doesn't work for me, to me all links ( to bookstore, to individual book info) don't work, please let John know since I buy books from time to time ( don't know if he ships to China;)

Originally posted by lwadkins
:banghead: Referencing the apology, why does "love" seem today to have the same meaning as "uncritical acceptence"?

It is another viral strain that the enemy is trying to use in an effort to neutralize Gods word. It is the same lie spoken in the garden to Eve;

Gen 3:1 And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?

Originally posted by joshua
This was sent out BEFORE Ranger got the hateful email, I believe. I read this apology on the 8th or the 9th.

Joshua, I checked antithesis.com on the 12th, and I don't remember seeing the apology there.

Aaron...correct. But there was an email sent out earlier through what they send their newsletter out with (topica?) before this apology was made public.

Oh, I see. I didn't realize that's what you meant.

Anyway, here's a dancing banana:

:banana:

It seems obvious to me that this man is mentally ill. We should pray for his healing & repentance. Greg Boyd's quoted remarks have been said before in other ways and weren't THAT earthshaking. The guy is still flipped out and can't properly explain himself. Hopefully, he's on the mend. John Hendryx (monergism.com) wasn't at church today as far as I know. His wife is ill. I'm sure he wants to send books to China if allowed. Will send an email.

Update; monergism.com is back on track. There were the infamous Technical Difficulties. Yes, they DO send to China, unless China is somehow blocking them. Try again.

[Edited on 15-2-2005 by turmeric]

OF COURSE IT'S STILL IN BUSINESS, when he sends incomplete orders, or sends one book for the price of two... I'd be banned from this site if I copied my emails from him! The man is not a Christian!

JG school of business

I understand that. There is more to that story though. His son J.P.Green jr. has been running the business for many years now. But going farther back than that when he had the stores it's another story.

You can ask me about it if you want. But I am sure you didn't get cussed at or verballly mistreated.

Originally posted by puritancovenanter
JG school of business

I understand that. There is more to that story though. His son J.P.Green jr. has been running the business for many years now. But going farther back than that when he had the stores it's another story.

You can ask me about it if you want. But I am sure you didn't get cussed at or verballly mistreated.

If your saying I personally didn't, I can forward you the emails. If your speaking of the stores, I'll have to take your word for it.

JG school of business

That's true. But they nevertheless never paid off their bill for the books they ordered (six or seven years ago I think). I'll never do business with them again; and I'm sure not recommending anything with that name attached to it.

Originally posted by NaphtaliPress
JG school of business

That's true. But they nevertheless never paid off their bill for the books they ordered (six or seven years ago I think). I'll never do business with them again; and I'm sure not recommending anything with that name attached to it.

They got ripped off also. They lost a lot of money to riverside for their books. That was after your experience. There still is no excuse for not paying your bills though. As I said the Son runs the book stuff now. Senior just works on his writing and manuscript stuff. He is getting really up in years.

:mad: Unbelieveable!!!

I definitely need to remove their link off of my website. I don't want to order any more books from them, and I do not want to recommend them to anyone else again, either!

How sad.

:barfy:

And Discerning Reader has shut doors, and closed shop, as either the profitibility or the bad publicity from bad customer service has taken a toll! It was a certainly well-designed web site with a good selection, though they started to include a lot of postmodernist liberal Christian stuff on top of the Reformed Christian books. I only ordered from them once in 2002, but was not satisfied as my new ESV Bible was scuffed up with the cover missing and the order was incomplete, but came much later.

Discerning Reader -- renowned for their courteous customer service
:tombstone:

Originally posted by AdamM
Kyle, I think Fred�s take on the situation is correct. As Christians since their work is unto Christ, the service from Discerning Reader should be noticeably BETTER, as compared to other firms. I just can�t understand how you as Christian are wrong to expect any organization to live up to promises made? It seems to me that the owner(s) of Discerning Reader have broken their vow to you and in doing so have borne false witness by promising to ship your products promptly and then not followed through. Also, you may want to check with Visa or Mastercard, so they can hold payment to DR if you have been charged in the past for merchandise that hasn�t been shipped.

Your correct Adam, the service shold be better. But DR is a business. It is not tax exempt. As such this is not a church discipline issue. They are like any business that fails to take care of the customer: a bad company to deal with. If they are in the habit of taking advantage of customers, it would be interesting what a few calls to the State Attorney General may do. They are hiding behind the Christian flag, which is reprehensible.

As a salesperson, this is why I have a such a difficult time doing business with other believers.

Originally posted by Puritanhead
And Discerning Reader has shut doors, and closed shop, as either the profitibility or the bad publicity from bad customer service has taken a toll! It was a certainly well-designed web site with a good selection, though they started to include a lot of postmodernist liberal Christian stuff on top of the Reformed Christian books. I only ordered from them once in 2002, but was not satisfied as my new ESV Bible was scuffed up with the cover missing and the order was incomplete, but came much later.

Discerning Reader -- renowned for their courteous customer service

The whole operation has been shut down, including Antithesis, Christian Counterculture and the Francis Schaeffer site that had some of Schaeffer's work posted and also had several good articles about him.

This just occurred within in the last few weeks or so because I reread John Frame's "Machen's Warrior Children" within the last month on the Christian Counterculture site. All that's left there is this parting shot:

We're done.

I like your Christ, but I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.christiancounterculture.com/pages/1/index.htm

After reading some of the things he's done and said, I really do wonder if he has some mental problems? I mean that in all sincerity.

Joshua, if there is a serious mental problem, perhaps he should be checked out for Pick's disease. From what I understand, its victims begin developing irrational behavior and can't control what they say and do. Similar to Tourette's Syndrome, but Pick's is also degenerative, debilitating, and can ultimately lead to physical death.

This is the same disease which killed Ted Darling, the longtime color commentator for the Buffalo Sabres.

Either way, it's tragic -- to say the least.:pray2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back