Feelings on paedobaptism

Status
Not open for further replies.
armourbearer said:
How an antipaedobaptist deals with the second point is something he must wrestle with, but he should never affirm that infants as infants are outside the covenant of grace.

1689 LBC Chapter 7 - God's Covenant
2. Moreover, man having brought himself under the curse of the law by his fall, it pleased the Lord to make a covenant of grace, wherein he freely offereth unto sinners life and salvation by Jesus Christ, requiring of them faith in him, that they may be saved; and promising to give unto all those that are ordained unto eternal life, his Holy Spirit, to make them willing and able to believe.

1689 LBC Chapter 10 - Of Effectual Calling
3. Elect infants dying in infancy are regenerated and saved by Christ through the Spirit; who worketh when, and where, and how he pleases; so also are all elect persons, who are incapable of being outwardly called by the ministry of the Word.

Elect infants can only be saved through the Covenant of Grace. Are all infants elect? The inclusion of the phrase "elect infants" could infer that not all infants are elect. The WCF phrases it this way:

WCF Chapter 10 - Of Effectual Calling
III. Elect infants, dying in infancy, are regenerated, and saved by Christ, through the Spirit, who works when, and where, and how He pleases: so also are all other elect persons who are incapable of being outwardly called by the ministry of the Word.

Baptism does nothing to either confirm or influence the elect standing of infants. The paedo view of New Covenant membership is another matter; but Baptists would concur that elect infants dying in infancy are, as I said earlier, saved through the Covenant of Grace.

:ditto:
And I particularly affirm that elect infants dying in infancy are saved through the c of g. It should have been unnecessary to say this, but people seem to jump to to incorrect conclusions from reading my posts.

Tim,

What made you think my post was necessarily about you? I was simply adding clarification to the discussion from a Confessional Baptist perspective.

armourbearer said:
How an antipaedobaptist deals with the second point is something he must wrestle with, but he should never affirm that infants as infants are outside the covenant of grace.

1689 LBC Chapter 7 - God's Covenant
2. Moreover, man having brought himself under the curse of the law by his fall, it pleased the Lord to make a covenant of grace, wherein he freely offereth unto sinners life and salvation by Jesus Christ, requiring of them faith in him, that they may be saved; and promising to give unto all those that are ordained unto eternal life, his Holy Spirit, to make them willing and able to believe.

1689 LBC Chapter 10 - Of Effectual Calling
3. Elect infants dying in infancy are regenerated and saved by Christ through the Spirit; who worketh when, and where, and how he pleases; so also are all elect persons, who are incapable of being outwardly called by the ministry of the Word.

Elect infants can only be saved through the Covenant of Grace. Are all infants elect? The inclusion of the phrase "elect infants" could infer that not all infants are elect. The WCF phrases it this way:

WCF Chapter 10 - Of Effectual Calling
III. Elect infants, dying in infancy, are regenerated, and saved by Christ, through the Spirit, who works when, and where, and how He pleases: so also are all other elect persons who are incapable of being outwardly called by the ministry of the Word.

Baptism does nothing to either confirm or influence the elect standing of infants. The paedo view of New Covenant membership is another matter; but Baptists would concur that elect infants dying in infancy are, as I said earlier, saved through the Covenant of Grace.

:ditto:
And I particularly affirm that elect infants dying in infancy are saved through the c of g. It should have been unnecessary to say this, but people seem to jump to to incorrect conclusions from reading my posts.

Tim,

What made you think my post was necessarily about you? I was simply adding clarification to the discussion from a Confessional Baptist perspective.

Nothing. But I have seen some other people take what I have said elsewhere and draw the wierdest conclusions about what they think my opinions on related questions must be. Upon reading your post I realized that I wanted to piggyback on it to forestall that particular conclusion.

Rejoice that a covenant child has been sealed with God's promise according to his commandment! Rejoice for the growth of Christ's church!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back