Explaining Reformed Theology?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sviata Nich

Puritan Board Freshman
How would you go about explaining Reformed Theology to a few young adults who are Christian, yet have no understanding of what RT is? I don't think they've even heard of it.

I have a haunch just going over TULIP would probably not go over well. Is there another way to go about explaining these truths and their implications without coming across as "cold" and "abstract"?

I am probably the least qualified to answer this, but I think I would think start with the basic concept of God's soverignty, and go from there. Like begin with the phrase "God saves sinners" and what logically flows if one REALLY believes that, and what a profound gift that is, and how it changes our outlook on the world. I hope that helps at least a tiny bit.

Reformed theology cannot be reduced to the things that distinguish it from other theologies in Christendom. If you start with the Trinity and then go redemptive-historically from the beginning, perhaps using the fourfold state of man as a template, you can present the Reformed faith that emphasizes its continuity with the rest of Christianity, but still makes all the essential points.

Keith, I agree with Mark and would also refer to the scriptures and particularly the

I am probably the least qualified to answer this, but I think I would think start with the basic concept of God's soverignty, and go from there. Like begin with the phrase "God saves sinners" and what logically flows if one REALLY believes that, and what a profound gift that is, and how it changes our outlook on the world. I hope that helps at least a tiny bit.

Keith, I agree with Mark and would also refer to the scriptures and particularly the Epistles of Paul which explicitly state “it is by faith alone” we are saved.

Paul then goes on to explain that salvation occurs when we place our faith in Christ alone which is given by the grace of God and is joined by obedient action to the commands of God.Thus we do good works as being obedient to the commands of God but we are not saved by our works or merits of our own as Roman Catholics have been taught incorrectly.

If they are Roman catholic youth you may point out and explain to them that it is not by works and faith we are saved and even some Lutheran and Anglican youth I have encountered incorrectly believe as the Romanists do. The Roman catholic teaching of Justification is dangerous because it distorts the true message of salvation. We are saved by faith in Christ alone and not by any merit of our own , we do good works because we are united with Christ in our faith and we follow His commands and the wishes of His Father “that His will be done“.

I think that would be a good starting point in explaining Reformed Theology and God willing if all goes well then they will by Gods grace also be converted to the Reformed Protestant faith and be born again!

Reformed theology is, at minimum:

Doctrines of grace ("five points") + covenant theology + confession

Often, it seems (anecdotal evidence only) the doctrines of grace come first, then covenant theology.

But reformed theology is much more than (even) that. It shares parts with the church universal, and what is sometimes called "broadly evangelical" (historically Protestant) churches, before one gets to the Reformed distinctives.

RC Sproul, What is Reformed Theology? does a superb job explaining this. At present, the teaching series can still be viewed at no charge on-line:
http://www.ligonier.org/learn/series/what_is_reformed_theology/

I would begin historically with Augustine and then the Reformation and why these points in history are important as establishing truths in scripture that refuted the false teaching of the Pelagians and Arminians. If people can see it's origin and importance I believe it will make sense. Of course explain these doctrines with scripture as others have said.

I might be of help, and much less threatening or intimidating, to tell your friends that it comes down to two basic options:

1. God saves sinners

2. Sinners save themselves with some help from God.

I've often used this: It is either the religion of human achievement or the religion of divine accomplishment.

That doesn't cover the entire compendium of Reformed theology, but it's a fair summation for beginners.

I would start with :
Trinity
Justification
TULIP (as opposed to Lutherans and arminians)
Covenant
Use the West.conf and the Heidleberg catechism as you go along to explain and look up the verses

I enetered the Reformed faith via the Regulative Principle of Worship. After recognizing that God commands and directs His own worship it was a direct jump into doctrines such as TULIP and justification by faith alone! I have also found it useful to use history to begin to teach others about the Reformed faith. We have left our historical moorings and drifted far out of course. Many of the people that I have talked to have no knowledge of church history and the deep Reformed heritage that is there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back