e-sword

Status
Not open for further replies.
I LOVE IT!!!!

I have used it for years. It's the best bible program I've ever had. (Free or Bought)

[Edited on 3-30-2006 by ANT]

Originally posted by bigheavyq
what do you think of e-sword?
it is a free download.
I like it. It can't do some of the fancy things that some use other programs for, but for the things your average layman (ie., me) would need, its great.

For the money... you can't beat it :bigsmile:
I think it is a great program. You can actually spend money on programs that do not offer nearly as many features.

It is definitely worth downloading :up:

In Christ,

Brian

E-Sword is great! I have it on my Pocket PC too. The Pocket PC modules are still huge, so you'll need a large memory expansion - I think all of them would requirer 200 MB or more.

I use the desktop version all the time.

And the website is extremely fast. If a download is going slow, it's your connection, not theirs. On a really high speed connection you can download the modules very quickly.

The only problem - and one I think they are trying to fix or considering fixing - is you can't get the NKJV bible (or NIV). You CAN get the ESV! But to get the NKJV, e-Sword would have to allow you to buy some sort of copyright protected secure modules. I suppose that would entail reprogramming some of e-Sword. Right now, you can only get public-domain or unsecured modules. I got the New American Standard(r) Updated Edition Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible
with Hebrew-Aramaic and Greek Dictionaries
by a payment to The Lockman Foundation, but the module I got is not really secured or protected from copying. You simply promise not to give away copies to others.

Once e-Sword get copy protected modules, I will quickly get the NKJV and maybe some others.

It has a huge collection of free modules (dictionaries, commentaries, concordances, and other books that come in as "topic notes". I've been very pleased with it.

http://www.e-sword.net/downloads.html

e-sword is a great program, indeed. The best free one to be had for sure (w/all due respect to online bible, but e-sword has surpassed it In my humble opinion). I also say "thanks" to Martin for the link. Didn't know stuff like this was out there.

Also, caddy's comment is well-taken and correct in that BW doesn't have the add on's like e-sword. However, I would add, as a long-time user of both programs, that comparing the two is an apple v. orange scenario. BW is unapologetically a "one-trick pony", and a fair investment at that. e-sword is a free, jack of all trades - type program.

For working w/just the text itself (especially in greek and hebrew), e-sword doesn't compare, nor was it intended to. BW's speed and search capablilites are w/o peer (though i've heard gramcord is strong as well). BW also incorporates grammars, lexicons, and other language tools that others - including Logos, which I use and affirm as well - don't. BW is an awesome program.

Conversely, for using shareware resources, commentaries, etc along with strong's and tsk and basic search capabilities, e-sword is a gift to the body of Christ. It boggles my the mind what this can do - and all for free. I've been using e-sword alongside BW in my Sunday PM sermon prep in Ps. 119. What a help and blessing it's been!

(BTW, for an inexpensive but solid software alternative, check out SwordSearcher (http://www.swordsearcher.com/).

Praise the Lord for the great resources with which He has blessed us!

[Edited on 3-30-2006 by bened]

E-Sword is much more intuitive and user friendly than Online Bible, in my opinion, but it does take up much more disk space.

I was fiddling with my antivirus software yesterday and realized it had quarantined several Online Bible files as being infected. Not sure if those were "official" or "unofficial" files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back