Drinking and Jesus

Status
Not open for further replies.
No where in this verse does it say that people were plastered.

I'm pretty sure you meant that the Bible nowhere says it is OK to be plastered. There are more than a few who are three sheets to the wind in the Bible. Noah jumps readily to mind.

Interestingly, the Hebrew word for feast, mishteh, implies drinking...lots of drinking, admittedly, usually in a negative sense (as it is repeatedly used in Esther 1), but not always.

I kind of like Psalm 104:15, "[You cause] wine to gladden the heart of man." In other words, a bit of a buzz is a gift from God. :cheers2:

Have you every attend a Jewish Passover Seder?

Ya got to get through four cups of wine to complete it.

That's a bit much for me. :lol:

No where in this verse does it say that people were plastered.

I'm pretty sure you meant that the Bible nowhere says it is OK to be plastered. There are more than a few who are three sheets to the wind in the Bible. Noah jumps readily to mind.

Interestingly, the Hebrew word for feast, mishteh, implies drinking...lots of drinking, admittedly, usually in a negative sense (as it is repeatedly used in Esther 1), but not always.

I kind of like Psalm 104:15, "[You cause] wine to gladden the heart of man." In other words, a bit of a buzz is a gift from God. :cheers2:

Have you every attend a Jewish Passover Seder?

Ya got to get through four cups of wine to complete it.

That's a bit much for me. :lol:

We're planning on doing a Seder in April. I'm not leading. I wonder if they're plannning on using wine. Oh, this could be very interesting!

Here are the links to a two-part article that addresses "drinking and Jesus":=

"The Son of Man Came Drinking": Was Jesus a Social Drinker? Part 1

"The Son of Man Came Drinking": Was Jesus a Social Drinker? Part 2

Your servant,

For over five years I have taught a DUI (Driving Under the Influence) class part-time. I have seen too many cases where expensive, needless DUIs happen from just a little liberty. All kinds of decent folk including Christians get DUIs. Impairment to drive begins with the first drink. Have two glasses of wine at a wedding, and get a DUI. Misuse prescription medicine and get a DUI.

People believe they can hold their liquor, but legally if someone runs into them because of the other person's poor driving and someone is killed in a crash, the tolerant drinker who may seem to be a safe driver can go to jail and never be able to drive again.

Whatever your conscience allows, just don't drive at all after you have been drinking.

For over five years I have taught a DUI (Driving Under the Influence) class part-time. I have seen too many cases where expensive, needless DUIs happen from just a little liberty. All kinds of decent folk including Christians get DUIs. Impairment to drive begins with the first drink. Have two glasses of wine at a wedding, and get a DUI. Misuse prescription medicine and get a DUI.

People believe they can hold their liquor, but legally if someone runs into them because of the other person's poor driving and someone is killed in a crash, the tolerant drinker who may seem to be a safe driver can go to jail and never be able to drive again.

Whatever your conscience allows, just don't drive at all after you have been drinking.

CJN,

Wise words. Operating camels and donkeys after drinking is different than operating a motor vehicle. The latter has the potential for much greater harm. Thanks for the precautionary words. I think I'll add them to my aforementioned posts.

Your servant,

You can get a DUI on a horse, in a riding lawn mower, and in a wheel chair, so maybe you can get one on a camel as well in our country. Coffee :coffee: as they say will just make you a wide awake drunk. Time is the only thing that will sober a person.

Extend hospitality for someone to stay over night and maybe longer if they are still impaired. Take keys away from someone who is impaired. Drive them home or call a cab. Have an agreement with others that if ever they are impaired, you will come and get them.

By the way I have wine or specialty drinks on occasions. I never liked beer. We have wonderful Plant City strawberry and blueberry wine at a Keel Curley Winery several miles from our home. I just don't drive then, even though I would be under Florida's .08 BAC limit. The only safe BAC for driving is .00.
:cheers:

Check out sample songs I have written for some of my DUI students. Some situations are hilarious, even though the issue is serious since people get killed from impaired driving.

DUI Songs

By the way I have wine or specialty drinks on occasions. I never liked beer. We have wonderful Plant City strawberry and blueberry wine at a Keel Curley Winery several miles from our home. I just don't drive then, even though I would be under Florida's .08 BAC limit. The only safe BAC for driving is .00.
:cheers:

Check out sample songs I have written for some of my DUI students. Some situations are hilarious, even though the issue is serious since people get killed from impaired driving.

DUI Songs

Thanks! Those songs were cute. Santa Baby was my fave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back