Does Thomas Nelson Publishers think that integrity with history is more important...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fly Caster

Puritan Board Sophomore
... than integrity with scripture?

We all know that they recently pulled David Barton's book on Thomas Jefferson because of supposed historical inaccuracies. Whether or not that was justified I do not know, as I am not familiar with the book. I won't fault them for it-- if Barton did in fact fail to handle history with integrity it should have been pulled.

But, fast-forward a few weeks and they give us this-- A Year of Biblical Womanhood: How a Liberated Woman Found Herself Sitting on Her Roof, Covering Her Head, and Calling Her Husband "Master"

Here is a book that openly mocks scripture, and under the guise of consistently interpreting and applying it, employs a twisted and perverse hermeneutic to foster a Jezebelite contempt of the order that has been ordained by God. That Thomas Nelson would publish such blaspehemous tripe under a "Christian" label, especially after such a show of "integrity," is shameful to say the least.

Sorry for the rant. It's just that my confidence in so-called Evangelical publishing houses has taken another serious blow.

Like Zondervan, Nelson is under the Harper Collins umbrella now. That they would publish the book in question is disappointing but not that surprising. But they seem to have been headed downhill for a while now anyway. There are probably a good half dozen publishers who could be named that are in a state of downgrade compared to a few decades ago.

It just tells you how bad David Barton's material is when even Thomas Nelson refuses to publish it. David Barton has been trying to make all of the American founders look like devout christians by omitting facts or presenting quotes out of context etc. If Thomas Nelson refuses to publish his material for fear of loosing credibility it should tells you something, especially when they don't hesitate to publish material like you have mentioned in your post.

I heard someone from Lifeway on the radio, it was either the Editor or Publisher, say they rejected "A Year of Biblical Womanhood: How a Liberated Woman Found Herself Sitting on Her Roof, Covering Her Head, and Calling Her Husband "Master"" because of how disrespectful of Scripture it was. I applaud Lifeway for doing the right thing.

I heard someone from Lifeway on the radio, it was either the Editor or Publisher, say they rejected "A Year of Biblical Womanhood: How a Liberated Woman Found Herself Sitting on Her Roof, Covering Her Head, and Calling Her Husband "Master"" because of how disrespectful of Scripture it was. I applaud Lifeway for doing the right thing.

I saw that too. It isn't surprising, however, that the media is trying to spin the story to make it seem that the reason Lifeway has refused to carry it is due to a reference to a part of the female anatomy.

It just tells you how bad David Barton's material is when even Thomas Nelson refuses to publish it. David Barton has been trying to make all of the American founders look like devout christians by omitting facts or presenting quotes out of context etc. If Thomas Nelson refuses to publish his material for fear of loosing credibility it should tells you something, especially when they don't hesitate to publish material like you have mentioned in your post.

That's all fine, assuming that they assessment of Barton is correct. However, if they are more concerned about fidelity to history than fidelity to scripture, they need to stop calling themselves a Christian publisher.

That's all fine, assuming that they assessment of Barton is correct. However, if they are more concerned about fidelity to history than fidelity to scripture, they need to stop calling themselves a Christian publisher.

I wasn't trying to defend Thomas Nelson, I was just saying that Barton's material is pretty bad and it does have a theological impact. Barton is closely affiliated with Glen Beck and his ecumenical movement. I was just saying that removing Barton's material was not a bad thing.

Last edited:
They have had a business or general interest type division for a while as well. Michael Hyatt was running them for a while. I think he may have been Reformed in some sense at one time but later converted to Eastern Orthodoxy. I think I saw that he stepped aside around the time of the recent merger.

However, if they are more concerned about fidelity to history than fidelity to scripture, they need to stop calling themselves a Christian publisher.

You can't be faithful to Scripture if you are unfaithful to history. Unless someone is a niche publisher, it is quite unlikely that being an _____ publisher is anything other than an indication of what your target market is.

Lifeway apparently draws the line of what's disrespectful of/to scripture somewhere between The Shack and A Year of Biblical Womanhood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back